Users - Thanks for the clarification David

Users - Thanks for the clarification David

dkey
David,

Thank you for the clarification on the Apache 2.0 License change. I did
not realize the situation that OFBiz was in with respect to copyright law
and intellectual property, and certainly did not know that someone other
than yourself or Andy could claim ownership of the project,,EEEKS! I am
beginning to see the method of your madness here (not that you need any
one's approval), I was just  trying to figure out why, and if so, how does
this effect all of the contributors as well as all of the people who have
sold derivatives based on the MIT licensed version of OFBiz.

I am currently looking into the ASF (I am not much on law though) to see
how this would effect myself in particular, as I have been planning a very
large deployment based on OFBiz for some time now and see the greatest
potential with OFBiz as compared to the other frameworks that are out
there.

BTW: did I realy sound like that much of a hick when I said "If it aint
broke don’t fix it"? :)

Respectfully Questionable,

Dale Key

Re: Users - Thanks for the clarification David

David E. Jones

Dale,

This won't have any effect on previous versions that are MIT
licensed. It is only future revisions/versions after the license
change that would be affected. If you look over the Apache 2.0
license you'll see that for derivative works and such it is pretty
much just as liberal as the MIT license, and in fact is a derivative
of the MIT/BSD camp (as opposed to the GPL/Mozilla/etc camp).

No, you didn't sound like a hick saying that. I come from somewhat of
a redneck family background and some of them still have pretty strong
accents and such, so I was just having a little fun with it. Even
aside from family background living in Utah (and I've just moved last
weekend to a small town in Utah, purchased an old hotel to use as
apartment and office units), this is the land of words like "heck"
instead of hell and "fur" instead of for, and the list goes on...

-David