Users - UK VAT

Ray Barlow
Hi,

I've been playing with the price including VAT options in the accounting
module and trying to get a sample data set up and running that operates
in line with UK principles of displaying prices which we've entered
including VAT and then showing the VAT charges in the summary pages and
invoices etc.

Unfortunately I'm not having to much success as the cart summary page
insists on adding the VAT to the total. So a few simple questions like
has anybody got the latest SVN running with UK VAT compliance? Has the
price including VAT feature been implemented through out the system or
is it still work in progress and what remains to be done?

Any clues or help appreciated as it would be really great to create a
sample demo set of data that works using these features.

Ray

Re: Users - UK VAT

David E. Jones

The current VAT stuff wasn't implemented with just the UK in mind, but it should work for that. Note that the current implementation basically requires one ProductStore per country where the VAT tax applies as the TaxAuthority settings used for each store are on the ProductStore entity itself. If you point those to a TaxAuthority with the tax set up as desired, then the tax should be included in all prices displayed. Is that working for you?

How it works in the cart is another question... This feature was sponsored by a company that has a custom checkout process and such, so I don't think the default cart template has stuff to show the price with tax and then show the total tax amount and stuff like that. Also, more than that might be needed for compliance in different places...

If this is something you'd like to help with that would be great. If I remember right the prices in the cart do _not_ have the tax included, so that needs to be calculated on the fly (basically the tax adjustment needs to be added to the cart item price as it is displayed).

-David

Ray Barlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the price including VAT options in the accounting
> module and trying to get a sample data set up and running that operates
> in line with UK principles of displaying prices which we've entered
> including VAT and then showing the VAT charges in the summary pages and
> invoices etc.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not having to much success as the cart summary page
> insists on adding the VAT to the total. So a few simple questions like
> has anybody got the latest SVN running with UK VAT compliance? Has the
> price including VAT feature been implemented through out the system or
> is it still work in progress and what remains to be done?
>
> Any clues or help appreciated as it would be really great to create a
> sample demo set of data that works using these features.
>
> Ray

Re: Users - UK VAT

Hi David,

> The current VAT stuff wasn't implemented with just the UK in mind, but it
should work for that. Note that the current implementation basically requires
one ProductStore per country where the VAT tax applies as the TaxAuthority
settings used for each store are on the ProductStore entity itself. If you point
those to a TaxAuthority with the tax set up as desired, then the tax should be
included in all prices displayed. Is that working for you?

> How it works in the cart is another question... This feature was sponsored by
a company that has a custom checkout process and such, so I don't think the
default cart template has stuff to show the price with tax and then show the
total tax amount and stuff like that. Also, more than that might be needed for
compliance in different places...

> If this is something you'd like to help with that would be great. If I
remember right the prices in the cart do _not_ have the tax included, so that
needs to be calculated on the fly (basically the tax adjustment needs to be
added to the cart item price as it is displayed).

> -David

Is the "Show Prices With Vat Tax" field there (in Stores/Store) just for fun ?

Jacques

> Ray Barlow wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been playing with the price including VAT options in the accounting
> > module and trying to get a sample data set up and running that operates
> > in line with UK principles of displaying prices which we've entered
> > including VAT and then showing the VAT charges in the summary pages and
> > invoices etc.
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm not having to much success as the cart summary page
> > insists on adding the VAT to the total. So a few simple questions like
> > has anybody got the latest SVN running with UK VAT compliance? Has the
> > price including VAT feature been implemented through out the system or
> > is it still work in progress and what remains to be done?
> >
> > Any clues or help appreciated as it would be really great to create a
> > sample demo set of data that works using these features.
> >
> > Ray

Re: Users - UK VAT

David E. Jones

No, not just for fun. That is what enables what I've described, along with the VAT TaxAuthority fields which must also be specified.

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>> The current VAT stuff wasn't implemented with just the UK in mind, but it
> should work for that. Note that the current implementation basically requires
> one ProductStore per country where the VAT tax applies as the TaxAuthority
> settings used for each store are on the ProductStore entity itself. If you point
> those to a TaxAuthority with the tax set up as desired, then the tax should be
> included in all prices displayed. Is that working for you?
>> How it works in the cart is another question... This feature was sponsored by
> a company that has a custom checkout process and such, so I don't think the
> default cart template has stuff to show the price with tax and then show the
> total tax amount and stuff like that. Also, more than that might be needed for
> compliance in different places...
>> If this is something you'd like to help with that would be great. If I
> remember right the prices in the cart do _not_ have the tax included, so that
> needs to be calculated on the fly (basically the tax adjustment needs to be
> added to the cart item price as it is displayed).
>> -David
>
> Is the "Show Prices With Vat Tax" field there (in Stores/Store) just for fun ?
>
> Jacques
>

>> Ray Barlow wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been playing with the price including VAT options in the accounting
>>> module and trying to get a sample data set up and running that operates
>>> in line with UK principles of displaying prices which we've entered
>>> including VAT and then showing the VAT charges in the summary pages and
>>> invoices etc.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I'm not having to much success as the cart summary page
>>> insists on adding the VAT to the total. So a few simple questions like
>>> has anybody got the latest SVN running with UK VAT compliance? Has the
>>> price including VAT feature been implemented through out the system or
>>> is it still work in progress and what remains to be done?
>>>
>>> Any clues or help appreciated as it would be really great to create a
>>> sample demo set of data that works using these features.
>>>
>>> Ray

Re: Users - UK VAT

> No, not just for fun. That is what enables what I've described, along with the
VAT TaxAuthority fields which must also be specified.

> -David

Ok sorry, I did not differentiate cart from products prices shown initially,
that's clear in my mind now

Jacques

?

> > Jacques

Re: Users - UK VAT

Ray Barlow
OK full compliance would be a longer term goal, but at least something
that did handle prices including tax through to the invoice stage would
be a massive step forward.

I've changed some of the demo data along these lines:
Reset the price of product GZ-2644 to 100 just to make the maths and
testing simpler, my intention being this is the customers retail price
including VAT @ 17.5% which would be 14.89 and a net price of 85.11.

Changed the stores "Show prices with VAT tax" to yes and set the VAT Tax
Auth Geo Id to "_NA_"

Under the accounts Tax Authorities I've set the tax auth geo Id to NA
with a NA party Id and "Include Tax In Price" is yes. I've also created
a VAT_CAT_1 category which includes the GZ-2644 product and added it to
the tax authority. Then on the product rates I've added an entry using
Sales Tax, store id 9000, VAT_CAT_1, Title trans DEST, both mins 0, tax
shipping yes, percentage 17.5.

The impact on the category page in ecommerce is to display the product
with a price of 117.50. This will display as 100 if I toggle the "Show
prices with VAT tax" to no on the product store.

The view basket page will list the product if added to your cart with a
price of 100 and an order total of 100 until you go through checkout at
which point a VAT value of 17.5 shows in the subtotals for the order and
ups the total order price again to 117.50. After creating an order it
does show the sales tax adjustment against the item.

Maybe the cart is just not using the tax authority setting of "Include
Tax In Price" and adjusting the price to get the correct net value
before applying the VAT value? Something along the lines of:
if ( includeTaxInPrice )
netPrice = 100 / 1.175

Ray