Users - Version 6603 Deletes database jars

Users - Version 6603 Deletes database jars

Daniel Kunkel
Some of you may be aware that updating to the latest svn deletes a
number of the database jar files.

A quick way to get back the now current jars:

change to /framework/entity/lib/jdbc folder

run svn up -r6600
rename/copy any desired jars
run svn up
restore your copies.

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 21:32 -0800, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Version 6603 deletes all database jars except for derby from
> framework/entity/lib/jdbc directory. Is this intentional?
>
> If yes, where are the replacement jars?
>

> Regards,
>
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Version 6603 Deletes database jars

David E. Jones

I would actually recommend _against_ doing it this way... The main
reason that we removed the MySQL jar is because it is GPL licensed,
but for the other jars (especially Postgres) the driving factor is
that you really should download the JDBC driver that corresponds to
your specific database and the specific version of that database that
you are using and then put that on the classpath so that OFBiz can
find it (and of course changing the entityengine.xml file to
configure the JDBC driver to use is still necessary).

So, in other words: don't get the JDBC driver from the application
provider, get it from the database provider! Sometimes when versions
don't match up strange things happen, and you will save yourself a
LOT of potential pain and suffering and late nights and angry spouses
and rebellious children!

Of course, that's just my opinion. There has been talk of voting on
this to determine whether to put the Postgres JDBC driver back or
not. For MySQL, it's too bad, but licensing issues mean that we
simply cannot include it going forward.

-David

On Jan 29, 2006, at 12:39 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> Some of you may be aware that updating to the latest svn deletes a
> number of the database jar files.
>
> A quick way to get back the now current jars:
>
> change to /framework/entity/lib/jdbc folder
>
> run svn up -r6600
> rename/copy any desired jars
> run svn up
> restore your copies.
>

> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 21:32 -0800, Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Version 6603 deletes all database jars except for derby from
>> framework/entity/lib/jdbc directory. Is this intentional?
>>
>> If yes, where are the replacement jars?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Version 6603 Deletes database jars

> I would actually recommend _against_ doing it this way... The main
> reason that we removed the MySQL jar is because it is GPL licensed,
> but for the other jars (especially Postgres) the driving factor is
> that you really should download the JDBC driver that corresponds to
> your specific database and the specific version of that database that
> you are using and then put that on the classpath so that OFBiz can
> find it (and of course changing the entityengine.xml file to
> configure the JDBC driver to use is still necessary).
>
> So, in other words: don't get the JDBC driver from the application
> provider, get it from the database provider! Sometimes when versions
> don't match up strange things happen, and you will save yourself a
> LOT of potential pain and suffering and late nights and angry spouses
> and rebellious children!
>
> Of course, that's just my opinion. There has been talk of voting on
> this to determine whether to put the Postgres JDBC driver back or
> not. For MySQL, it's too bad, but licensing issues mean that we
> simply cannot include it going forward.
>
> -David

It makes sense that one has to care with the DB one uses, including the
driver...

Jacques