Users - Virtual/Variant product ecommerce question

Users - Virtual/Variant product ecommerce question

Eric Crawford
I would like to setup the following  product scenario. Can anyone tell
me if this is possible?

The product is a clawfoot tub. The variants are the finish on the feet
of the tub (chrome, polished brass, oil rubbed bronze, black, white).
In the ecommerce app, I would like to display an image of the foot
only for each finish as the selectable image on the product details
screen, but display the actual tub with appropriate foot finish in the
large image for each variant once a foot finish image is selected.  It
appears that the small images that are used to select the variant
product on the product details screen of the virtual product is the
image that is attached to the virtual product and not the small image
from the content of the variant product. I would expect that a small
image attached to each variant product would be displayed on the
product details screen of the virtual product, therefore, showing the
different options available.

Is there a configuration option to display the small image of each
variant on the product details screen? I am currently getting a copy
of the large image attached to the virtual product for each variant
associated to the virtual product. For example, if I have 5 variant
products associated with the virtual product, I will get 5 small
copies of the image attached to the virtual product, not a copy of the
small image attached to each variant.

--
Thank you,
Eric Crawford

Re: Users - Virtual/Variant product ecommerce question

David E. Jones

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, you seem to be going back and
forth...

The small images for variants should be attached to the variants, not
to the virtual product. Is there a problem with that in your
requirements? Also, larger images that will change on the fly should
also be connected to the variants. The virtual product should have
the "default" image for the set of variants.

-David

On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Eric Crawford wrote:

> I would like to setup the following  product scenario. Can anyone tell
> me if this is possible?
>
> The product is a clawfoot tub. The variants are the finish on the feet
> of the tub (chrome, polished brass, oil rubbed bronze, black, white).
> In the ecommerce app, I would like to display an image of the foot
> only for each finish as the selectable image on the product details
> screen, but display the actual tub with appropriate foot finish in the
> large image for each variant once a foot finish image is selected.  It
> appears that the small images that are used to select the variant
> product on the product details screen of the virtual product is the
> image that is attached to the virtual product and not the small image
> from the content of the variant product. I would expect that a small
> image attached to each variant product would be displayed on the
> product details screen of the virtual product, therefore, showing the
> different options available.
>
> Is there a configuration option to display the small image of each
> variant on the product details screen? I am currently getting a copy
> of the large image attached to the virtual product for each variant
> associated to the virtual product. For example, if I have 5 variant
> products associated with the virtual product, I will get 5 small
> copies of the image attached to the virtual product, not a copy of the
> small image attached to each variant.
>

> --
> Thank you,
> Eric Crawford

Re: Users - Virtual/Variant product ecommerce question

Eric Crawford
Sorry. The small images are attached to the variants, not the virtual,
but the only time a small selectable images will display on the
product details screen is when I attach a small image to the virtual
product. Any image I have attached to the variant products won't
display as one of the small selectable images on the product details
screen.
I just noticed that this seems to be the way the example "Giant
Widget" product is setup. It only has images attached to the virtual
product.

Eric

On 2/17/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you are asking, you seem to be going back and
> forth...
>
> The small images for variants should be attached to the variants, not
> to the virtual product. Is there a problem with that in your
> requirements? Also, larger images that will change on the fly should
> also be connected to the variants. The virtual product should have
> the "default" image for the set of variants.
>
> -David
>

> On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Eric Crawford wrote:
>
> > I would like to setup the following  product scenario. Can anyone tell
> > me if this is possible?
> >
> > The product is a clawfoot tub. The variants are the finish on the feet
> > of the tub (chrome, polished brass, oil rubbed bronze, black, white).
> > In the ecommerce app, I would like to display an image of the foot
> > only for each finish as the selectable image on the product details
> > screen, but display the actual tub with appropriate foot finish in the
> > large image for each variant once a foot finish image is selected.  It
> > appears that the small images that are used to select the variant
> > product on the product details screen of the virtual product is the
> > image that is attached to the virtual product and not the small image
> > from the content of the variant product. I would expect that a small
> > image attached to each variant product would be displayed on the
> > product details screen of the virtual product, therefore, showing the
> > different options available.
> >
> > Is there a configuration option to display the small image of each
> > variant on the product details screen? I am currently getting a copy
> > of the large image attached to the virtual product for each variant
> > associated to the virtual product. For example, if I have 5 variant
> > products associated with the virtual product, I will get 5 small
> > copies of the image attached to the virtual product, not a copy of the
> > small image attached to each variant.
> >

> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Eric Crawford