Users - looking at Ofbiz

Nguyen Minh Triet
Hi,

We were looking at OfBiz about a year ago and will be going forward with
it this year. I am glad to see how Ofbiz and its community has evolved
since last time we were investigating the solution.

The goal is to implement an on-line store and the ecommerce application
seems to answer those needs. I have downloaded the latest SVN of ofbiz
and I am running it on Linux with MySQL.

I am trying to validate a few functionalities that are currently present
to identify what is currently functional and what needs to be added or
further developed. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can
describe, if possible, how to perform the following tasks:

1. Create a product in a category but set it as INACTIVE (so we don't
see it in the client WebSite). I see that there is a way to filter out
ACTIVE versus ACTIVE AND INACTIVE but have yet to find a way to set this
attribute.

2. Can I create a Group of users. For example, the master user would pay
for the product to which a list of users would have access.

3. Digital products. Can I create a digital product that the user can
buy and download?

4. User security can be achieved by the usual Login and password but is
there currently a way to apply security rules based on IP address?

5.Are there any features that allow for subscription? A user would have
access to X number of products for Y period of time upon purchase of a
subscription?

6. Billing and receipts. What is required to do to implement this?

I have gone through these points a year ago and I am in the process of
evaluating these requirements once again with Ofbiz. The elements that
are missing will have to be developed.

Thank you in advance,
Minh

Re: Users - looking at Ofbiz

Andrew Sykes
Minh,

> 1. Create a product in a category but set it as INACTIVE (so we don't
> see it in the client WebSite). I see that there is a way to filter out
> ACTIVE versus ACTIVE AND INACTIVE but have yet to find a way to set this
> attribute.

ACTIVE and INACTIVE refers to the "from" and "thru" dates for the
product-->category association. By setting a "from" greater than the
current time, or a "thru" before the current time, your product will be
considered INACTIVE.

> 2. Can I create a Group of users. For example, the master user would pay
> for the product to which a list of users would have access.
You can, though you'd have to do a little modification yourself to make it happen.

> 3. Digital products. Can I create a digital product that the user can
> buy and download?
Yes, see the "product type" setting.

> 4. User security can be achieved by the usual Login and password but is
> there currently a way to apply security rules based on IP address?
This would take a little work on your part but shouldn't be too difficult.

> 5.Are there any features that allow for subscription? A user would have
> access to X number of products for Y period of time upon purchase of a
> subscription?
Yes, this will become more apparent as you look into the digital good thing.

> 6. Billing and receipts. What is required to do to implement this?
There's pretty significant stuff in this area already, so it really depends what you need.

Good luck with it all.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - looking at Ofbiz

Si Chen-2
Minh,

>>6. Billing and receipts. What is required to do to implement this?
>>

>There's pretty significant stuff in this area already, so it really depends what you need.

There is a general ledger with invoice and payment management for OFBIZ
now, see: http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/accounting.php