Users - new OrderItemGroup functionality

Users - new OrderItemGroup functionality

Si Chen-2
Hi David,

What is the OrderItemGroup functionality for?  So that within a ship
group, you can further sub-divide it to a group?  Or to be used as an
alternative to ship groups?-

Si

Re: Users - new OrderItemGroup functionality

Jacopo Cappellato
Yes,

these are interesting questions.
However, in general, I think it is a very nice thing to have (even if
the groups are not related to ship groups).
For example, in the sales orders for furnitures, it is very common to
have order items grouped by room or floor (the items for the first
floor, the items for the second floor etc.)

Jacopo

Si Chen wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> What is the OrderItemGroup functionality for?  So that within a ship
> group, you can further sub-divide it to a group?  Or to be used as an
> alternative to ship groups?-
>
> Si

Re: Users - new OrderItemGroup functionality

David E. Jones

Jacopo is correct that this doesn't really relate to ship groups. An OrderItemGroup, and it's analogue in the ShoppingCart, are for organizing the cart. In addition to tidying things up and organizing it better like Jacopo mentioned (which may be especially useful when hierarchical shopping lists are added to the cart...) this can also be used (in the future) to segment the cart for promotion application, and to support highly custom ecommerce sites that have more complex product configuration things than the configurable products can easily support.

That is actually the case for the client that is sponsoring this effort. They have some very custom pages and a need to use a lot of the ecommerce features, but not have a generic cart interface for certain types/sets/combinations of products, plus the need to possibly have more that one set of such products, plus combine them with simple products. So, some way to segment and organize the cart and the resulting order is needed.

-David