Users - show product configuration in orderstatus/shopping cart

Users - show product configuration in orderstatus/shopping cart

Anna  Schietz
hi,

I want to show the configuration that I made for a configurable product
(e.g. selected RAM or HD for the configurable pc) in the cart and later on
in the order history-->orderstatus screen.

I thought I would add a method to the OrderReadHelper and then somehow..
well.. would be able to do this via orderstatus.bsh and the orderitems.ftl.
BUT I just can't figure out how the configuration of a product in a certain
order is stored in the database. What am I missing here?

I don't want a variant product for each possible configuration, that would
produce a really large number of products and is not necessary, am I right?

thanks,
Anna

Re: Users - show product configuration in orderstatus

Anna  Schietz
Ok, I'm sorry. Of course the configuration is shown in the shopping cart
(when it is a configurable PC, I seem to have messed up something with my
own product and it is not displayed). But I still can't find the place where
this information is stored in the database so I can use it later on.

DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Users - show product configuration in orderstatus

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Anna,

unfortunately pc configurations are not stored in the db right now.
Obviously there were plans to add this feature, and many others, (and in
fact there are already some entities that should be used for this) but,
due to limited budget, we have never completed this effort.

If you would like to put some efforts into this task, please, let me
know and I'll give you some hints on how to complete this stuff.

However the pc configuration stuff can also be used in production as is,
and it is actually used at least by www.xinit.com (the original sponsor
of this features).

Jacopo

Anna Schietz wrote:

> Ok, I'm sorry. Of course the configuration is shown in the shopping cart
> (when it is a configurable PC, I seem to have messed up something with my
> own product and it is not displayed). But I still can't find the place where
> this information is stored in the database so I can use it later on.

so, is there already a way to access the configuration of a product after
the order has been sent?

I would be interested in trying to store the configuration in the database
but it would be great if I somehow could make this work in in the meantime
withtou storing the configuration in the database because I have to finish a
first prototype by the end of February (and for the project I'm working it's
quite important that I show the configuration in the orderstatus page).

Of course I would contribute the code but I'm not sure if it will be good
enough, I still have a lot to learn...

Anna

Anna,

the quick answer is yes and no.

At now, when the order is created, the product configuration is lost (it
is not saved into the db) but a manufacturing order (aka production run)
is created; in the production run you can see all the materials needed
to assembly the finished product (the materials are determined by the
configuration options selected for the product).
A link to see the details of a production run is already present in the
Order Manager --> Order Detail screen (below the order item).

Hope this helps,

Jacopo