Users - tax functionality

Hans Bakker
David, Jacopo,

i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki but
could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
invoice for customers in a certain geolocation

I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in the
Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?

When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
that?

Regards,
Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - tax functionality

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Hans,

unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).

There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
each order/invoice item
2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
the total sales tax at the end of the report
3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.

What do you all think of this?

Jacopo

Hans Bakker wrote:

> David, Jacopo,
>
> i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki but
> could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
> invoice for customers in a certain geolocation
>
> I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in the
> Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?
>
> When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
> that?
>
> Regards,
> Hans Bakker
> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>
> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> from the above person, download the public key from:
> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - tax functionality

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Jacopo

I think we may be a better way of going about this...  Is there anyone
who ever needs the tax calculations broken out?

Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
States.

Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?

Thanks

Daniel

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
> The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
> TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
> invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
>
> There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
> 1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
> each order/invoice item
> 2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
> the total sales tax at the end of the report
> 3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
> calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
> different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
> amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
> service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
>
> What do you all think of this?
>
> Jacopo
>

> Hans Bakker wrote:
> > David, Jacopo,
> >
> > i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki but
> > could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
> > invoice for customers in a certain geolocation
> >
> > I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in the
> > Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?
> >
> > When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
> > that?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Hans Bakker
> > ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
> >
> > If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> > from the above person, download the public key from:
> > http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - tax functionality

> I think we may be a better way of going about this...  Is there anyone
> who ever needs the tax calculations broken out?
>
> Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
> I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
> States.
>
> Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
> tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
> acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

I'm no sure of that, as for example here in France (and I know it's the same at
least in England and Finland) we may have several tax rates (may be differents
per products). For example it' not the same ratio for Computer (19.6%) and book
(5.5%) ...

Jaques

> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
> > The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
> > TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
> > invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
> >
> > There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
> > 1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
> > each order/invoice item
> > 2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
> > the total sales tax at the end of the report
> > 3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
> > calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
> > different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
> > amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
> > service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
> >
> > What do you all think of this?
> >
> > Jacopo
> >

> > Hans Bakker wrote:
> > > David, Jacopo,
> > >
> > > i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki
but
> > > could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
> > > invoice for customers in a certain geolocation
> > >
> > > I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in
the

> > > Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?
> > >
> > > When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
> > > that?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Hans Bakker
> > > ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
> > >
> > > If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> > > from the above person, download the public key from:
> > > http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

> Daniel
>
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
> Have a GREAT Day!
>
> Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
> BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
> 14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
> Bellevue, WA 98007
> 800-734-3588    425-895-0050
> http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
> http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - Users - tax functionality

Cezar Mihaila

It seems that there are certain locations, such as Germany, where is a
common practice to apply the overall sales tax on an order/ invoice
based on the "main" product/ line item in the transaction.
The "main" product is not necessary the most expensive one.

For example, if you have an order like

1. Item A 50 euro
2. Accesory to Item A 20 euro
3. Service fees for Item A 60 euro

and VAT for item A is X% while VAT for Service fees is Y%, then -
somehow in an arbitrary way - apply X% tax to the whole order.

We had the explicit requirement to implement such functionality for our
client but we've managed to convince him that calculating taxes by line
items is also acceptable from the German accountants point of view.

The client wasn't happy but accepted the solution.

We found it's easier to make the client change his mind then making the
OfBiz adjustments for dealing with such business logic.

Cezar

Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> I think we may be a better way of going about this...  Is there anyone
> who ever needs the tax calculations broken out?
>
> Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
> I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
> States.
>
> Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
> tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
> acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel
>

> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>>Hi Hans,
>>
>>unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
>>The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
>>TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
>>invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
>>
>>There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
>>1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
>>each order/invoice item
>>2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
>>the total sales tax at the end of the report
>>3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
>>calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
>>different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
>>amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
>>service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
>>
>>What do you all think of this?
>>
>>Jacopo
>>

>>Hans Bakker wrote:
>>
>>>David, Jacopo,
>>>
>>>i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki but
>>>could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
>>>invoice for customers in a certain geolocation
>>>
>>>I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in the
>>>Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?
>>>
>>>When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
>>>that?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Hans Bakker
>>>ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>>>
>>>If you want to verify that this message really originates from
>>>from the above person, download the public key from:
>>>http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - tax functionality

Ray Barlow
The UK certainly does require the breakdown, this being an extract from
d'rules:-

16.3.1 General
VAT invoices must show:
·  an identifying number;
·  your name, address and VAT registration number;
·  the time of supply (tax point);
·  date of issue (if different to the time of supply);
·  your customer’s name (or trading name) and address;
·  the type of supply (see 16.3.2 below); and
·  a description which identifies the goods or services supplied.
For each description, you must show:
·  the quantity of goods or extent of the services;
·  the charge made, excluding VAT;
·  the rate of VAT;
·  the total charge made, excluding VAT;
·  the rate of any cash discount offered;
·  each rate of VAT charged and the amount of VAT charged at each rate and shown in sterling; and
·  the total amount of VAT charged, shown in sterling.

Ray

Daniel Kunkel wrote:

>Hi Jacopo
>
>I think we may be a better way of going about this...  Is there anyone
>who ever needs the tax calculations broken out?
>
>Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
>I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
>States.
>
>Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
>tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
>acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?
>
>Thanks
>
>Daniel
>

>On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>

>>Hi Hans,
>>
>>unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
>>The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
>>TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
>>invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
>>
>>There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
>>1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
>>each order/invoice item
>>2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
>>the total sales tax at the end of the report
>>3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
>>calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
>>different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
>>amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
>>service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
>>
>>What do you all think of this?
>>
>>Jacopo
>>

>>Hans Bakker wrote:
>>

>>>David, Jacopo,
>>>
>>>i had a quick look at the new tax functionality and the page in the wiki but
>>>could not see if it can be used to automatically calculate sales tax on an
>>>invoice for customers in a certain geolocation
>>>
>>>I need to specify 19% sales tax on the total invoice for every customer in the
>>>Netherlands. Will there be an extra invoice item added for this purpose?
>>>
>>>When possible can you give  me a few lines explanation how to do
>>>that?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Hans Bakker
>>>ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>>>
>>>If you want to verify that this message really originates from
>>>from the above person, download the public key from:
>>>http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - Users - tax functionality

Cezar Mihaila
Hi,

Ray wrote:

> The UK certainly does require the breakdown, this being an extract from
> d'rules:-
>
> 16.3.1 General
> VAT invoices must show:
> ·  an identifying number;
> ·  your name, address and VAT registration number;
> ·  the time of supply (tax point);
> ·  date of issue (if different to the time of supply);
> ·  your customer’s name (or trading name) and address;
> ·  the type of supply (see 16.3.2 below); and
> ·  a description which identifies the goods or services supplied.
> For each description, you must show:
> ·  the quantity of goods or extent of the services;
> ·  the charge made, excluding VAT;
> ·  the rate of VAT;
> ·  the total charge made, excluding VAT;
> ·  the rate of any cash discount offered;
> ·  each rate of VAT charged and the amount of VAT charged at each rate and shown in sterling; and
> ·  the total amount of VAT charged, shown in sterling.
>

> Ray
>

> Daniel Kunkel wrote:
>

>>Hi Jacopo
>>
>>I think we may be a better way of going about this...  Is there anyone
>>who ever needs the tax calculations broken out?
>>
>>Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
>>I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
>>States.
>>
>>Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
>>tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
>>acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Daniel
>>

>>On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Hans,
>>>
>>>unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
>>>The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
>>>TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
>>>invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
>>>
>>>There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
>>>1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
>>>each order/invoice item
>>>2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
>>>the total sales tax at the end of the report
>>>3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
>>>calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
>>>different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
>>>amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
>>>service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
>>>
>>>What do you all think of this?
>>>
>>>Jacopo

Re: Users - tax functionality

Hi Jacques,

we (in Italy) too may have several tax rates in the same invoice; the
difference is that in Italy the amount of the tax is computed against
the total sum of the amounts of the items with the same rate.
For example, if in the same invoice I have two books (book_a and book_b)
and two computers (computer_a and computer_b):

productId | quantity | unitPrice | amount | tax rate
book_a    |        1 |        10 |     10 |     5.5%
book_b    |        1 |        20 |     20 |     5.5%
computer_a|        1 |       997 |    997 |    19.6%
computer_b|        1 |      1994 |   1994 |    19.6%

OFBiz calculates the sales tax for each item in this way:

book_a:       10 * 0.055 =   0.55$
book_b:       20 * 0.055 =   1.10$
computer_a:  997 * 0.196 = 195.41$
computer_b: 1994 * 0.196 = 390.82$

In Italy we calculate the sales taxes in this way:

tax  5.5%: (10 + 20)     * 0.055  =      1.65$
tax 19.6%: (997 + 1994)  * 0.196  =    586.24$

As you can see:

the computer taxes calculated by OFBiz are:
195.41 + 390.82 = 586.23

while the computer tax calculated in the 'Italian' way is:
586.24

Jacopo

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I'm no sure of that, as for example here in France (and I know it's the same at
> least in England and Finland) we may have several tax rates (may be differents
> per products). For example it' not the same ratio for Computer (19.6%) and book
> (5.5%) ...
>
> Jaques

Re: Users - tax functionality

Sebastien Ardrino
Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> [...]
Hi,

If I understand Daniel, he suggests to calculate tax on total and not
for each item. But as Jaques says in some country products can have
differents tax, but for example in French law we are not obliged to
alculate tax VAT for each item but for total item (total for item with
same rate).
But with tax there can be more problems as two differents VAT: for
example for alcohol, this products have very specifics tax (in France,
but I think it could be same in other countries). So to answer to all
tax rule we could create something like product price rules with rules
and action specific. For our customer we have to manage alcohol tax so
we will create this module.

Sébastien

>>On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:38 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Hans,
>>>
>>>unfortunately I have not still implemented this.
>>>The idea (as suggested by David Jones) is to add a flag in the
>>>TaxAuthority entity to specify if the tax should be applied to the
>>>invoice total or to each invoice items (as is now).
>>>
>>>There is a quick way to implement the calculation:
>>>1) leave the sales tax adjustments as are now, i.e. one adjustment for
>>>each order/invoice item
>>>2) in the order/invoice reports, hide the item adjustments and show only
>>>the total sales tax at the end of the report
>>>3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
>>>calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
>>>different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
>>>amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
>>>service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.
>>>
>>>What do you all think of this?
>>>
>>>Jacopo

>but

>the

>>--
>>Daniel
>>
>>*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
>>Have a GREAT Day!
>>
>>Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
>>BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
>>14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
>>Bellevue, WA 98007
>>800-734-3588    425-895-0050
>>http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
>>http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
>>*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - tax functionality

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Hi there,

Since this topic is something which we had to deal with for one of our
customers, I am relaying an email from one of my team mates having
problem to post his reply to this list via the newsgroups, so here it is:

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Jacques,
>
> we (in Italy) too may have several tax rates in the same invoice; the
> difference is that in Italy the amount of the tax is computed against
> the total sum of the amounts of the items with the same rate.
> For example, if in the same invoice I have two books (book_a and book_b)
> and two computers (computer_a and computer_b):
>
> productId | quantity | unitPrice | amount | tax rate
> book_a    |        1 |        10 |     10 |     5.5%
> book_b    |        1 |        20 |     20 |     5.5%
> computer_a|        1 |       997 |    997 |    19.6%
> computer_b|        1 |      1994 |   1994 |    19.6%
>
> OFBiz calculates the sales tax for each item in this way:
>
> book_a:       10 * 0.055 =   0.55$
> book_b:       20 * 0.055 =   1.10$
> computer_a:  997 * 0.196 = 195.41$
> computer_b: 1994 * 0.196 = 390.82$
>
> In Italy we calculate the sales taxes in this way:
>
> tax  5.5%: (10 + 20)     * 0.055  =      1.65$
> tax 19.6%: (997 + 1994)  * 0.196  =    586.24$
>
> As you can see:
>
> the computer taxes calculated by OFBiz are:
> 195.41 + 390.82 = 586.23
>
> while the computer tax calculated in the 'Italian' way is:
> 586.24
>
> Jacopo
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> I'm no sure of that, as for example here in France (and I know it's the same at
>> least in England and Finland) we may have several tax rates (may be differents
>> per products). For example it' not the same ratio for Computer (19.6%) and book
>> (5.5%) ...
>>
>> Jaques

Re: Users - tax functionality

Jacopo,

You are right, it's the same in France as Sebastien pointed out.

Jacques

> we (in Italy) too may have several tax rates in the same invoice; the
> difference is that in Italy the amount of the tax is computed against
> the total sum of the amounts of the items with the same rate.
> For example, if in the same invoice I have two books (book_a and book_b)
> and two computers (computer_a and computer_b):
>
> productId | quantity | unitPrice | amount | tax rate
> book_a    |        1 |        10 |     10 |     5.5%
> book_b    |        1 |        20 |     20 |     5.5%
> computer_a|        1 |       997 |    997 |    19.6%
> computer_b|        1 |      1994 |   1994 |    19.6%
>
> OFBiz calculates the sales tax for each item in this way:
>
> book_a:       10 * 0.055 =   0.55$
> book_b:       20 * 0.055 =   1.10$
> computer_a:  997 * 0.196 = 195.41$
> computer_b: 1994 * 0.196 = 390.82$
>
> In Italy we calculate the sales taxes in this way:
>
> tax  5.5%: (10 + 20)     * 0.055  =      1.65$
> tax 19.6%: (997 + 1994)  * 0.196  =    586.24$
>
> As you can see:
>
> the computer taxes calculated by OFBiz are:
> 195.41 + 390.82 = 586.23
>
> while the computer tax calculated in the 'Italian' way is:
> 586.24
>
> Jacopo
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I'm no sure of that, as for example here in France (and I know it's the same
at
> > least in England and Finland) we may have several tax rates (may be
differents
> > per products). For example it' not the same ratio for Computer (19.6%) and
book

> > (5.5%) ...
> >
> > Jaques

Re: Users - tax functionality

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> 3) in this way there could be approx errors (a sales tax amount
> calculated as a percentage of an invoice total could be slightly
> different from a sales tax amount calculated as the sum of the sales tax
> amounts of each item); to solve this, in the createInvoiceForOrder
> service, we could create an offsetting adjustment to fix the approx errors.

There is stuff in place to avoid this right now. Tax adjustments for each line item are calculated to 3 decimal places, then added up, then rounded to 2 places for the tax total. Doing it this way is required in certain countries, like the UK.

It doesn't totally eliminate any difference there might be, especially for a large number of order/invoice items, but it is closer.

Re: Users - tax functionality

Daniel Kunkel wrote:
> Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
> I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
> States.
>
> Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
> tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
> acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?

Actually this _is_ a standard practice in the USA. In fact, those who don't consider tax on a per product basis are most likely not calculating their sales taxes correctly. No state in the country has sufficiently simple sales tax laws for that (except those with no sales tax of course...).

Physical stores often get away with charging a single rate, and they just over-tax their customers so the government doesn't complain. In conversations about this with retailers they accept that as a practice and when a customer knows about a tax exception they just refund the taxes on a case by case basis for each customer that complains.

For online retailers it is a bit of a nightmare. This is why rather expensive packages like TaxWare exist.

To get an idea of how much fun it is there are some good materials related to details in this area for TaxWare and the ZipSales tax database.

Re: Users - tax functionality

Daniel Kunkel
David

Thanks for setting the record straight. Peachtree, the small business
accounting packages been using calculates the taxes in a way that
doesn't match...  I never looked into it to understand why, but assumed
it was due to rounding errors.

Daniel

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 13:43 -0600, David E. Jones wrote:

> Daniel Kunkel wrote:
> > Although the software currently calculates tax on an item by item basis,
> > I do not believe that this is standard practice, even in the United
> > States.
> >
> > Instead, could the functionality be changed to perform the aggregated
> > tax calculations universally, as I believe that this is also an
> > acceptable way of calculating taxes in the United States?
>
> Actually this _is_ a standard practice in the USA. In fact, those who don't consider tax on a per product basis are most likely not calculating their sales taxes correctly. No state in the country has sufficiently simple sales tax laws for that (except those with no sales tax of course...).
>
> Physical stores often get away with charging a single rate, and they just over-tax their customers so the government doesn't complain. In conversations about this with retailers they accept that as a practice and when a customer knows about a tax exception they just refund the taxes on a case by case basis for each customer that complains.
>
> For online retailers it is a bit of a nightmare. This is why rather expensive packages like TaxWare exist.
>
> To get an idea of how much fun it is there are some good materials related to details in this area for TaxWare and the ZipSales tax database.

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - tax functionality

David,

thanks for your comments: I'll study how the "calcTax" service actually
works.
However, since taxes are calculated in the order, I think that many of
the approx problems could happen when the order is shipped/invoiced with
more than one shipments.
For example, how an order header adjustment is splitted up when the
order is invoiced in two invoices?

Jacopo