Users - update on accounting/general ledger development

Users - update on accounting/general ledger development

Si Chen-2
Hello everyone.  I wanted to tell you about an important change with the
ongoing accounting/general ledger (accountingext) development in OFBiz.

We will soon be releasing most of the files in the accountingext
repository to the main OFBiz accounting component.  This would include
screens and services for managing invoices and payments; configuring
internal accounting organizations; printing checks and invoices as PDFs;
and posting transactions to the general ledger.

A small minority of the files, responsible for posting transactions such
as invoices, payments, inventory changes, and returns to the general
ledger; generating financial reports such as trial balances, income
statements, and balance sheets; and user and technical documentation
will be transferred out to a separate Open Source Strategies, Inc.
repository.  We will then continue the development of a full featured
"Financials" module, which would include ledger postings, financial
reporting, and traditional AR/AP, in this repository.  This Financials
module will be fully compatible with OFBiz, using the same entities,
architecture, and tools.

We will be releasing this repository under both GPL and commercial
licenses within the next few days.  You will be able to access the
repository for a download, and as soon as it is stable, we will be
making a release.  Currently, for example, the returns posting is not
working properly due to the large re-factoring of the returns feature in
OFBiz we're doing.

What does this mean?  I hope this would mean the following:

1.  You will have access to a free accounting application that is fully
integrated with OFBiz.
2.  The availability of an accounting application should help OFBiz
adoption.
3.  We will hopefully be able to fund its ongoing maintenance and
development through the sale of commercial licenses, in addition to
sponsored development and community contributions.

We're currently setting up a repository and moving files into it.  As
soon as it's ready for access, I will write with the access information.

Thanks,

Si

Re: Users - update on accounting/general ledger development

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Si

Thanks for the great news!!! I and I'm sure many others in the community
really appreciate that you and the other investors were able to finance
and push in the development of the Financial system!

Is there any intention of bringing the new financial package back into
OFBiz project after enough commercial licenses have been sold to fully
compensate the investors?

Are there any plans for the Financial package to offer a version with
Opentaps (SequoiaERP) integrated for easier downloading/installing?

Thanks

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:52 -0800, Si Chen wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I wanted to tell you about an important change with the
> ongoing accounting/general ledger (accountingext) development in OFBiz.
>
> We will soon be releasing most of the files in the accountingext
> repository to the main OFBiz accounting component.  This would include
> screens and services for managing invoices and payments; configuring
> internal accounting organizations; printing checks and invoices as PDFs;
> and posting transactions to the general ledger.
>
> A small minority of the files, responsible for posting transactions such
> as invoices, payments, inventory changes, and returns to the general
> ledger; generating financial reports such as trial balances, income
> statements, and balance sheets; and user and technical documentation
> will be transferred out to a separate Open Source Strategies, Inc.
> repository.  We will then continue the development of a full featured
> "Financials" module, which would include ledger postings, financial
> reporting, and traditional AR/AP, in this repository.  This Financials
> module will be fully compatible with OFBiz, using the same entities,
> architecture, and tools.
>
> We will be releasing this repository under both GPL and commercial
> licenses within the next few days.  You will be able to access the
> repository for a download, and as soon as it is stable, we will be
> making a release.  Currently, for example, the returns posting is not
> working properly due to the large re-factoring of the returns feature in
> OFBiz we're doing.
>
> What does this mean?  I hope this would mean the following:
>
> 1.  You will have access to a free accounting application that is fully
> integrated with OFBiz.
> 2.  The availability of an accounting application should help OFBiz
> adoption.
> 3.  We will hopefully be able to fund its ongoing maintenance and
> development through the sale of commercial licenses, in addition to
> sponsored development and community contributions.
>
> We're currently setting up a repository and moving files into it.  As
> soon as it's ready for access, I will write with the access information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si

Re: Users - update on accounting/general ledger development

amailx-ofbiz
Si,
I don't have much knowledge of what do and don't for GPL.

Do you have/ Can you Please Put together a very short Guide for Dummies
for that GPL'ed code.

Regards
Anil

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I wanted to tell you about an important change with
> the
> ongoing accounting/general ledger (accountingext) development in
> OFBiz.
>
> We will soon be releasing most of the files in the accountingext
> repository to the main OFBiz accounting component.  This would
> include
> screens and services for managing invoices and payments; configuring
> internal accounting organizations; printing checks and invoices as
> PDFs;
> and posting transactions to the general ledger.
>
> A small minority of the files, responsible for posting transactions
> such
> as invoices, payments, inventory changes, and returns to the general
> ledger; generating financial reports such as trial balances, income
> statements, and balance sheets; and user and technical documentation
> will be transferred out to a separate Open Source Strategies, Inc.
> repository.  We will then continue the development of a full featured
>
> "Financials" module, which would include ledger postings, financial
> reporting, and traditional AR/AP, in this repository.  This
> Financials
> module will be fully compatible with OFBiz, using the same entities,
> architecture, and tools.
>
> We will be releasing this repository under both GPL and commercial
> licenses within the next few days.  You will be able to access the
> repository for a download, and as soon as it is stable, we will be
> making a release.  Currently, for example, the returns posting is not
>
> working properly due to the large re-factoring of the returns feature
> in
> OFBiz we're doing.
>
> What does this mean?  I hope this would mean the following:
>
> 1.  You will have access to a free accounting application that is
> fully
> integrated with OFBiz.
> 2.  The availability of an accounting application should help OFBiz
> adoption.
> 3.  We will hopefully be able to fund its ongoing maintenance and
> development through the sale of commercial licenses, in addition to
> sponsored development and community contributions.
>
> We're currently setting up a repository and moving files into it.  As
>
> soon as it's ready for access, I will write with the access
> information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si

Re: Users - update on accounting/general ledger development

Si Chen-2
You can read http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html and
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html for starters.  If you need more
information, read Larry Rosen's "Open Source Licensing" or the O'Reilly
e-book listed on www.opensourcestrategies.org of the same topic.  If you
really have questions, though, ask a lawyer--not other developers.  :)

Si