VAT and gross pricing

Re: VAT and gross pricing

cjhowe

--- Iain Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> things with the current implementation, the only
> hassle being that I
> have to store all my prices ex-tax - this is
> slightly painful because my
> suppliers generally provide inc-tax prices and I
> have to reach for my
> calculator :-)
>
> Cheers, Iain

Then that should be a simple change to the purchase
order services so that you're entering pricing inc-tax
and it's storing prices ex-tax + storing an adjustment
for tax

Re: VAT and gross pricing

Iain Fogg
Chris,

Can you walk me through the mods required to do this?

Would it be smart enough to "invert" the tax rule for specific product.
Eg, different products have different tax rates that are (presumably)
dictated by the tax rule (or rules) that apply to them.

Cheers, Iain

Chris Howe wrote:

> --- Iain Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> things with the current implementation, the only
>> hassle being that I
>> have to store all my prices ex-tax - this is
>> slightly painful because my
>> suppliers generally provide inc-tax prices and I
>> have to reach for my
>> calculator :-)
>>
>> Cheers, Iain
>>

> Then that should be a simple change to the purchase
> order services so that you're entering pricing inc-tax
> and it's storing prices ex-tax + storing an adjustment
> for tax

Re: VAT and gross pricing

cjhowe
You would create a custom component as descibed in the
wiki FAQ.  Depending on how you're using OFBiz the
custom component could be based on the order manager
or the accounting component

Depending on the uniformity of your tax code and the
uniformity of your product(if your purchase tax rate
is the same as your sale tax rate for that
item...always AND you simply resell the product you
purchased unchanged) you could divide price paid by
(1+ tax) using the tax rules you've set up for the
product and store that number as the base price then
subtract base price from price paid to enter as tax
adjustment.

Otherwise, if your industry doesn't follow the
uniformity or you have some sort of manufacturing
component in your business, you'll have to set up
additional tax rules that are related to the
SupplierProduct entity.  Because this won't be very
elegant, if you have to go this route, it may be more
worthwhile to rewrite the product entities to be
generic and and strip Product.productId of any implied
meaning outside of being a unique identifier (which
would solve a lot of industry specific issues that
would be very dificult for OFBiz to solve otherwise,
but that currently fall in the category of worrying
about issues that no one is currently worrying about).
 So, if your calculator is still working, that may be
easier in this situation ;)

--- Iain Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Can you walk me through the mods required to do
> this?
>
> Would it be smart enough to "invert" the tax rule
> for specific product.
> Eg, different products have different tax rates that
> are (presumably)
> dictated by the tax rule (or rules) that apply to
> them.
>
> Cheers, Iain
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
> > --- Iain Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> things with the current implementation, the only
> >> hassle being that I
> >> have to store all my prices ex-tax - this is
> >> slightly painful because my
> >> suppliers generally provide inc-tax prices and I
> >> have to reach for my
> >> calculator :-)
> >>
> >> Cheers, Iain
> >>

> > Then that should be a simple change to the
> purchase
> > order services so that you're entering pricing
> inc-tax
> > and it's storing prices ex-tax + storing an
> adjustment
> > for tax

> Release Date: 12/10/2006

Re: VAT and gross pricing

Re: VAT and gross pricing

From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>

> --- Iain Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > things with the current implementation, the only
> > hassle being that I
> > have to store all my prices ex-tax - this is
> > slightly painful because my
> > suppliers generally provide inc-tax prices and I
> > have to reach for my
> > calculator :-)
> >
> > Cheers, Iain
> >

> Then that should be a simple change to the purchase
> order services so that you're entering pricing inc-tax
> and it's storing prices ex-tax + storing an adjustment
> for tax

Chris,

This is not only a matter of PO : in retail people use to think in gross prices.

BTW in France receipts of large retailers (supermarkets) do not show ex-tax prices nor VAT only gross prices.
This rules are specific to each EU countries as specified in
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/traders/invoicing_rules/article_1733_en.htm#1.4.3
To see ex-tax prices and VAT you need to ask for an invoice. In this case VAT is calculated as explained Jacopo here
http://www.nabble.com/Users---tax-functionality-tf1428622.html.
And must be in compliance with http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/traders/invoicing_rules/article_1733_en.htm#1.4.1
In practice there are often only items gross prices (should be ex-tax prices), a total VAT by rate applied and rate applied, and a
(grand) total.

I hope it's clear

Re: VAT and gross pricing

cjhowe
Thank you for the link.  Looking over...
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/traders/invoicing_rules/article_1733_en.htm#1.4.1

#12 says that you're to itemize things the same as we
do in the US, unless your unit price includes VAT.  So
my question remains...who is making you include VAT in
your unit price?  The EC doesn't appear to be.  Is it
the local country governments or is it simply custom?

--- Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

Re: VAT and gross pricing (example of failed SALES DISC)

Thanks Iain,

I will take a look at SALE DISC ASAP (did you try with amount and taxes ?). I saw that it was not showing adjustment but had no time to solve it. Yet receipts show no adjustment informations in general.
I did nothing on this because I know that Ray barlow has done some work around receipts and I waited informations from him. But I have no news from him since a while. Ray if you read this please feel free to ring ;o)

Jacques
From: "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
  + Order level discounting doesn't work properly for in the GST
environment. Eg, I have an item for $110, which includes $10 GST. If I
discount the order, the price drops to $88, but the GST still shows as
$10 - it should be $8.80. The correct behaviour depends on whether
individual line items are subject to GST or not. Technically, if I give
a 20% order level discount this discount should be distributed across
all line items in the order, and then the GST would be calculated
correctly. In practice, order level discounts are banned, and sales
staff need to apply any discounts at the item level (which works well
for GST calculations). It's not clear what a fixed-amount order-level
discount means in a GST environment, since individual products (not
whole orders) are subject to the tax - what if your order has a mixture
of GST and GST-free products???

Did you try on POS with last svn (that's what I guess but not sure) ? Because I have tried only without taxes yet ....

  #1 for me is being able to record my prices tax-inclusive, yet still
ensure that local reporting requirements are met (eg, displaying the
amount of GST in the sale), and that the GL tracks the GST component.

Yes that's the problem we have to cope with if we want to have happy customers :o)

  I think we already the flag to indicate whether prices include tax, but
it's not clear that this has relevance for GST?VAT (please correct me if
I'm wrong).

For the moment taxes are not differentiated, please see :  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-366

  We also need a flag(s) to indicate whether we need to report
the tax component, and whether the reporting needs to be on the item or
order level. As mentioned above, order adjustments need to be made
sensitive to the GST/VAT environment, but perhaps the simplest thing is
just to train users not to ever use order-level adjustments :-)

Here they are some differents rules. For instance in Italy and France if you have Jacopo explained that here :
http://www.nabble.com/Users---tax-functionality-tf1428622.html)
But it's no the same in Germany for instance. Here is also an interesting remark going your way (customising cutomers ;o)
http://www.nabble.com/Users---tax-functionality-tf1428622.html

Thanks for your comments

PS : One question out of subject : I do use Outlook Express (OE) on Windows (was trapped long before ;o). When I respond to an ML
msg only to the sender, automatically OE send also a copy to ML.
I wonder if it would not be a best practise to respond only to the ML (to avoid double messages to the intial sender). What do you
think ?

Re: VAT and gross pricing

Andrew Sykes
Chris, Jacques,

This is a good point, despite the fact that the price is inclusive of
VAT, EU members will still tend to use these popular price points (1.00
1.99 1.95 etc).

Remember that for a VATable item, you are ultimately paying VAT only on
the _V_alue you have _A_dded to the item

For anyone unfamiliar, here is an example in british pounds although the
principle is applicable to Euros too although the VAT rate may differ.

Vendor buys product at £10,00
Vendor pays additional £1.75 (17.5% VAT)

Vendor sells at £20,00 (inclusive of VAT)
Vendor is liable for £3.50 (17.5% VAT)

However vendor has already paid £1.75 to the distributor, leaving the
balance of £1.75 due to the tax man.

If these were the only two transactions in the VAT period, then your VAT
bill would be £1.75.

If however only the first transaction had happened (i.e. you hadn't
sold-on the product) then you would be liable for a rebate of £1.75 from
the tax man.

VAT return statements reflect this dual aspect, i.e. you declare what
the VAT man owes you and what you owe the VAT man.

Does that make the process any clearer?

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: VAT and gross pricing

Andrew Sykes
Chris, Jacques,

On a more general note...

VAT in EU is not quite as normalised as it should be, I think about 12
years ago the EU adopted an interim VAT solution, but has been stuck
with it ever since due to lack of agreement.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, the interim VAT solution has
raised a bit of controversy recently as billions of euros have
disappeared through loop-holes. Do a google search for "VAT carousel" to
find out more about the problems with "carousel" fraud.

Finally, carousel fraud is causing other side effects, such as
distorting export figures, here's an interesting article on that...
http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005795.shtml

This is probably a lot more detail than you need, but it's interesting
to know a little detail about the whole EU VAT setup...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd