Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

ian tabangay
Hi.
I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done with
the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good view of how
to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do next?
Thanks.

~ ian

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

Pranay Pandey-2
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide
That can be an interesting reading for you.

Thanks and Regards
Pranay Pandey

ian tabangay wrote:

> Hi.
> I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done with
> the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good view of how
> to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do next?
> Thanks.
>

> ~ ian

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

Read the documentation, and ... take a big breath...dive...
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index

Jacques

From: "ian tabangay" <[hidden email]>
> Hi.
> I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done with
> the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good view of how
> to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do next?
> Thanks.
>

> ~ ian

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

Bilgin Ibryam

As a next step check example component together with
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and
+Diagrams

Bilgin

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

Jacopo Cappellato-3

I'd suggest to use as a template the framework/example component.

Jacopo

On Mar 27, 2008, at 4:52 AM, ian tabangay wrote:

> Hi.
> I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done
> with
> the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good
> view of how
> to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do
> next?
> Thanks.
>

> ~ ian

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

this was just answered in a previous email.
Seriously, you should read the documentation. These are good points to
start
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index
These links may turn interesting too
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo

Jacques

ian tabangay sent the following on 3/27/2008 2:52 AM:
> Hi.
> I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done with
> the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good view of how
> to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do next?
> Thanks.
>

> ~ ian

RE: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

Edward Banfa-2
Yeah you can read all the docs you want to, but nothing beats browsing the
code of already existing ofbiz apps (e.g PartyManager) to see how real world
enterprise apps are built using ofbiz :-). The docs points out the right
direction but it's the code that gets you walking.

Edward

this was just answered in a previous email.
Seriously, you should read the documentation. These are good points to
start
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index
These links may turn interesting too
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo

Jacques

ian tabangay sent the following on 3/27/2008 2:52 AM:
> Hi.
> I wanted to learn how to create my own components on ofbiz. I'm done with
> the tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com. It gave me a good view of
how
> to develop on ofbiz but it was too basic. Any suggestions what to do next?
> Thanks.
>

> ~ ian

Re: Whats next after tutorials in www.opensourcestrategies.com

That's what I meaned by "big breath & dive" :o)

Jacques

From: "Edward Banfa" <[hidden email]>

> Yeah you can read all the docs you want to, but nothing beats browsing the
> code of already existing ofbiz apps (e.g PartyManager) to see how real world
> enterprise apps are built using ofbiz :-). The docs points out the right
> direction but it's the code that gets you walking.
>
> Edward

ryan-116
Hi Ian,

I also found that in addition to reading the code for ecommerce,
partymgr, etc, it was helpful to run in debug mode and attach the
debugger to step through code, especially for instance to understand the
login process, eca invocation, etc, especially once you strt ixing in
your own code.

Just use "ant run-debug" and then set your debugger for a remote session
to port 8091.

You'll have to step over a lot of boring stuff (log4j), but still a
useful tactic.

regards,
-Ryan

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> That's what I meaned by "big breath & dive" :o)
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Edward Banfa" <[hidden email]>
>> Yeah you can read all the docs you want to, but nothing beats
>> browsing the
>> code of already existing ofbiz apps (e.g PartyManager) to see how
>> real world
>> enterprise apps are built using ofbiz :-). The docs points out the right
>> direction but it's the code that gets you walking.
>>
>> Edward

Thanks everybody for the quick reply.

~ ian