Where did compression rmi-dispatcher classes go?

Where did compression rmi-dispatcher classes go?

Brett
There use to be two options for the rmi-dispatcher,

SSL (default configuration):

org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.ssl (package)
SSLClientSocketFactory  and SSLServerSocketFactory

Zip (optional configuration):

org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.zip (package)
CompressionClientSocketFactory and CompressionServerSocketFactory

Were the Compression socket classes removed for license reasons or
because no one used them?  I used them occassionally for server to
server communication and testing.

Thanks,

Brett

Re: Where did compression rmi-dispatcher classes go?

Scott Gray
My vague memories are thinking it was a licensing issue.

Regards
Scott

On 27/03/07, Brett Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There use to be two options for the rmi-dispatcher,
>
> SSL (default configuration):
>
> org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.ssl (package)
> SSLClientSocketFactory  and SSLServerSocketFactory
>

> Zip (optional configuration):
>
> org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.zip (package)
> CompressionClientSocketFactory and CompressionServerSocketFactory
>

> Were the Compression socket classes removed for license reasons or
> because no one used them?  I used them occassionally for server to
> server communication and testing.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Brett

Re: Where did compression rmi-dispatcher classes go?

Scott Gray
Thanks to good ol' gmail I found the commit log in about 2 seconds:

Author: jonesde
Date: Fri Sep 29 01:50:42 2006
New Revision: 451171

Log:
Removed compression code from Sun that has a problematic license, people can
still grab and use this, but we just won't be distributing it as before;
this is not used by default; note that there may be other zip socket
implementations that we could put in place if this is important to someone,
but I don't know that anyone has looked into this yet

Removed:
   incubator/ofbiz/trunk/framework/service/src/org/ofbiz/service/rmi
/socket/zip/

Regards
Scott

On 27/03/07, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My vague memories are thinking it was a licensing issue.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 27/03/07, Brett Palmer <[hidden email] > wrote:
> >
> > There use to be two options for the rmi-dispatcher,
> >
> > SSL (default configuration):
> >
> > org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.ssl (package)
> > SSLClientSocketFactory  and SSLServerSocketFactory
> >

> > Zip (optional configuration):
> >
> > org.ofbiz.service.rmi.socket.zip (package)
> > CompressionClientSocketFactory and CompressionServerSocketFactory
> >

> > Were the Compression socket classes removed for license reasons or
> > because no one used them?  I used them occassionally for server to
> > server communication and testing.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Brett

Re: Where did compression rmi-dispatcher classes go?

Brett
Thanks