Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

David Shere
Shouldn't it be in ShipmentPackage?  Even in a "Box 1 of 2, Box 2 of 2"
shipment, each box has its own tracking number (right?), since they
could get separated and have to be tracked independently.  As it is, if
two boxes are in the same OrderItemShipGroup, then they both have the
same tracking number.  Is this right?

OrderItemShipGroup doesn't seem to be an entity described in the Data
Model Resource book (I read the whole chapter on Shipments) so I guess
I'm confused as to exactly what the entity is supposed to represent in
the process.

--
David Shere
Information Technology Services
www.SteeleRubber.com

Re: Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

John Martin
It appears that trackingNumber is an obsolete artifact in the
OrderItemShipGroup table.  It may be used but I don't see where.

The UPS and DHL shipping label components save the tracking number into the
ShipmentPackageRouteSeg entity.  This provides a better normalization and
supports the possibility that an item of multiple quantity can be shipped
and tracked seperately.

John

On 2/8/07, David Shere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shouldn't it be in ShipmentPackage?  Even in a "Box 1 of 2, Box 2 of 2"
> shipment, each box has its own tracking number (right?), since they
> could get separated and have to be tracked independently.  As it is, if
> two boxes are in the same OrderItemShipGroup, then they both have the
> same tracking number.  Is this right?
>
> OrderItemShipGroup doesn't seem to be an entity described in the Data
> Model Resource book (I read the whole chapter on Shipments) so I guess
> I'm confused as to exactly what the entity is supposed to represent in
> the process.
>
> --
> David Shere
> Information Technology Services
> Steele Rubber Products
> www.SteeleRubber.com

Re: Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

David E Jones

What John wrote is correct.

For some background, the OrderItemShipGroup is the entity that
represents a set of items for a specific ship to in an order so that
with a single order you can have different sets of items going to
different addresses, and/or by different shipping methods, and/or et
cetera.

If I remember right the point of having a tracking code there was for
companies that do not use the Shipment and related entities, though
as John mentioned the ShipmentPackageRouteSeg is the proper entity
for that.

-David

On Feb 8, 2007, at 2:31 PM, John Martin wrote:

> It appears that trackingNumber is an obsolete artifact in the
> OrderItemShipGroup table.  It may be used but I don't see where.
>
> The UPS and DHL shipping label components save the tracking number
> into the
> ShipmentPackageRouteSeg entity.  This provides a better
> normalization and
> supports the possibility that an item of multiple quantity can be
> shipped
> and tracked seperately.
>
> John
>
> On 2/8/07, David Shere <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Shouldn't it be in ShipmentPackage?  Even in a "Box 1 of 2, Box 2
>> of 2"
>> shipment, each box has its own tracking number (right?), since they
>> could get separated and have to be tracked independently.  As it
>> is, if
>> two boxes are in the same OrderItemShipGroup, then they both have the
>> same tracking number.  Is this right?
>>
>> OrderItemShipGroup doesn't seem to be an entity described in the Data
>> Model Resource book (I read the whole chapter on Shipments) so I
>> guess
>> I'm confused as to exactly what the entity is supposed to
>> represent in
>> the process.
>>
>> --
>> David Shere
>> Information Technology Services
>> Steele Rubber Products
>> www.SteeleRubber.com

Re: Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

David E Jones

On the origin of the OrderItemShipGroup: it is an add-on to the
entities in the data model resource books that is required to support
multiple ship-tos. In other words, it is a machination of the cogs
that drive OFBiz and is simply derived from the core concepts in the
books, as is the case with many OFBiz entities.

-David

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:19 PM, David E. Jones wrote:

> What John wrote is correct.
>
> For some background, the OrderItemShipGroup is the entity that
> represents a set of items for a specific ship to in an order so
> that with a single order you can have different sets of items going
> to different addresses, and/or by different shipping methods, and/
> or et cetera.
>
> If I remember right the point of having a tracking code there was
> for companies that do not use the Shipment and related entities,
> though as John mentioned the ShipmentPackageRouteSeg is the proper
> entity for that.
>
> -David
>

> On Feb 8, 2007, at 2:31 PM, John Martin wrote:
>
>> It appears that trackingNumber is an obsolete artifact in the
>> OrderItemShipGroup table.  It may be used but I don't see where.
>>
>> The UPS and DHL shipping label components save the tracking number
>> into the
>> ShipmentPackageRouteSeg entity.  This provides a better
>> normalization and
>> supports the possibility that an item of multiple quantity can be
>> shipped
>> and tracked seperately.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On 2/8/07, David Shere <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Shouldn't it be in ShipmentPackage?  Even in a "Box 1 of 2, Box 2
>>> of 2"
>>> shipment, each box has its own tracking number (right?), since they
>>> could get separated and have to be tracked independently.  As it
>>> is, if
>>> two boxes are in the same OrderItemShipGroup, then they both have
>>> the
>>> same tracking number.  Is this right?
>>>
>>> OrderItemShipGroup doesn't seem to be an entity described in the
>>> Data
>>> Model Resource book (I read the whole chapter on Shipments) so I
>>> guess
>>> I'm confused as to exactly what the entity is supposed to
>>> represent in
>>> the process.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Shere
>>> Information Technology Services
>>> Steele Rubber Products
>>> www.SteeleRubber.com

Re: Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

David Shere
So is OrderItemShipGroup an obsolete table as John suggests?

www.SteeleRubber.com

Re: Why is trackingNumber in OrderItemShipGroup?

David E Jones

Oh no, certainly not. That entity is actively used.

The tracking code field on it could kind of be called deprecated, but
isn't really as you could still use it no problem if you aren't using
the Shipment and related entities (ie you're not using the shipping
part of OFBiz) but you still want somewhere to put the tracking code
to show to customers.

-David

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment