Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

Matt England
Will OFBiz work with the XAMPP "platform" under Linux or Windows?

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

My project eventually would use Linux (probably Debian) as a production
OFBiz server (that probably would _not_ run XAMPP), but it would be nice if
we could do some evals with XAMPP under Windows.

Has anyone had any specific XAMPP-OFBiz experience?  The java support (or
lack thereof) in XAMPP concerns me.

-Matt

Re: Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

BJ Freeman
under stand that XAMPP have been part of the Apache webserver for a
while,atleast since 1996 when I started with web servers.
However it took a lot of reading to playing with to make it work with
things.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP
and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just
download, extract and start.
Linux servers as well as Windows machines (from win98 up) have been able
to run Apache webserver, MySQL(from its inception)PHP(soon after its
inceptions) and perl.

Ofbiz has an embedded tomcat webserver that is not effected if you have
XAMPP or not.

However if you wish to access the ofbiz web server from Apache you must
doe this thru a connector.
there were reference given to another user earlier today so you can
seach the mailing list for them.

Matt England sent the following on 10/5/2007 5:58 PM:

> Will OFBiz work with the XAMPP "platform" under Linux or Windows?
>
> http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
>
> My project eventually would use Linux (probably Debian) as a production
> OFBiz server (that probably would _not_ run XAMPP), but it would be nice
> if we could do some evals with XAMPP under Windows.
>
> Has anyone had any specific XAMPP-OFBiz experience?  The java support
> (or lack thereof) in XAMPP concerns me.
>
> -Matt

Re: Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

Matt England
Ok thanks.  Is my interpretation below correct?

OFBiz can run in a "standalone" mode; ie, OFBiz need not have an Apache
webserver or any other external software (?) to operate.  (Does it need an
external database?)

This is what I gather from the comments below and:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide

This appears to be a platform-independent, JVM-based install.

Is this correct?

Fyi: I'm quite familiar with XAMPP.

-Matt

At 10/5/2007 11:45 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:

>under stand that XAMPP have been part of the Apache webserver for a
>while,atleast since 1996 when I started with web servers.
>However it took a lot of reading to playing with to make it work with
>things.
>XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP
>and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just
>download, extract and start.
>Linux servers as well as Windows machines (from win98 up) have been able
>to run Apache webserver, MySQL(from its inception)PHP(soon after its
>inceptions) and perl.
>
>Ofbiz has an embedded tomcat webserver that is not effected if you have
>XAMPP or not.
>
>However if you wish to access the ofbiz web server from Apache you must
>doe this thru a connector.
>there were reference given to another user earlier today so you can
>seach the mailing list for them.
>

>Matt England sent the following on 10/5/2007 5:58 PM:
> > Will OFBiz work with the XAMPP "platform" under Linux or Windows?
> >
> > http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
> >
> > My project eventually would use Linux (probably Debian) as a production
> > OFBiz server (that probably would _not_ run XAMPP), but it would be nice
> > if we could do some evals with XAMPP under Windows.
> >
> > Has anyone had any specific XAMPP-OFBiz experience?  The java support
> > (or lack thereof) in XAMPP concerns me.
> >
> > -Matt

Re: Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

jonwimp
Yes, your interpretation is correct.

It doesn't need an external database, since it has Derby. But it's usual to run OFBiz with a
competent RDBMS. Derby is purely Java, and so may be slower than MySQL and other RDBMSes.

All you really need is a JDK to compile OFBiz, and a JVM to run it.

Jonathon

Matt England wrote:

> Ok thanks.  Is my interpretation below correct?
>
> OFBiz can run in a "standalone" mode; ie, OFBiz need not have an Apache
> webserver or any other external software (?) to operate.  (Does it need
> an external database?)
>
> This is what I gather from the comments below and:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
>
> This appears to be a platform-independent, JVM-based install.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Fyi: I'm quite familiar with XAMPP.
>
> -Matt
>
> At 10/5/2007 11:45 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>> under stand that XAMPP have been part of the Apache webserver for a
>> while,atleast since 1996 when I started with web servers.
>> However it took a lot of reading to playing with to make it work with
>> things.
>> XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP
>> and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just
>> download, extract and start.
>> Linux servers as well as Windows machines (from win98 up) have been able
>> to run Apache webserver, MySQL(from its inception)PHP(soon after its
>> inceptions) and perl.
>>
>> Ofbiz has an embedded tomcat webserver that is not effected if you have
>> XAMPP or not.
>>
>> However if you wish to access the ofbiz web server from Apache you must
>> doe this thru a connector.
>> there were reference given to another user earlier today so you can
>> seach the mailing list for them.
>>

>> Matt England sent the following on 10/5/2007 5:58 PM:
>> > Will OFBiz work with the XAMPP "platform" under Linux or Windows?
>> >
>> > http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
>> >
>> > My project eventually would use Linux (probably Debian) as a production
>> > OFBiz server (that probably would _not_ run XAMPP), but it would be
>> nice
>> > if we could do some evals with XAMPP under Windows.
>> >
>> > Has anyone had any specific XAMPP-OFBiz experience?  The java support
>> > (or lack thereof) in XAMPP concerns me.
>> >
>> > -Matt

Re: Will OFBiz work with XAMPP for Linux or Windows?

Though ofbiz has an internal default db, it is mostly for demo and
development.
when you are going to deploy it is best to use mysql 5.0 or my favorite
postgresql.
However there is configuration data for other DB as well.

as long as you have a Sun SDK 1.5 installed you can run ofbiz on any
platform.

Matt England sent the following on 10/6/2007 7:42 AM: