best practices for contributors

Re: best practices for contributors

David E. Jones

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it... Some things are certainly more mainstream in OFBiz than others and so have more community momentum behind them, and that is really what constitutes "support" in a community driven project like OFBiz.

If no one cares about it then it tends to stagnate. If people are using it an working on it, even incrementally here and there with small improvements, it thrives and is easier for people to use.

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> ROTFLOL
> my dad use to say everybody is equal just some more than others.
> same with support.
> for what support there is, there is less for contributions.
> LOL.
>

> David E. Jones sent the following on 6/27/2006 12:51 PM:
>>

>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> I agree, with the Jira in place, that is the default commit for
>>> contributors.
>>> More what I was saying was there would be a place for the
>>> contributors code to be that could be accessed, but not thru the
>>> official code section.
>>> so the code in Specialized would be moved to the contributors section.
>>> it can be accessed by anyone with the understanding that there is no
>>> support for it.
>>
>> Is there "support" for anything...? ;)

Re: best practices for contributors

Si Chen-2
Ok here it is---

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

I added a lot of details about how to make patch files, since I just
remembered some of the patch files we get are not quite "right."

Si

On Jun 27, 2006, at 1:05 PM, David E. Jones wrote:

> Yeah, that's a good way of putting it... Some things are certainly
> more mainstream in OFBiz than others and so have more community
> momentum behind them, and that is really what constitutes "support"
> in a community driven project like OFBiz.
>
> If no one cares about it then it tends to stagnate. If people are
> using it an working on it, even incrementally here and there with
> small improvements, it thrives and is easier for people to use.
>
> -David
>

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> ROTFLOL
>> my dad use to say everybody is equal just some more than others.
>> same with support.
>> for what support there is, there is less for contributions.
>> LOL.
>> David E. Jones sent the following on 6/27/2006 12:51 PM:

>>> Is there "support" for anything...? ;)

Re: best practices for contributors

BJ Freeman
first glance looks good.
thank to you and the others for their hard work.

Si Chen sent the following on 6/27/2006 1:18 PM:

> Ok here it is---
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
>
> I added a lot of details about how to make patch files, since I just
> remembered some of the patch files we get are not quite "right."
>
> Si
>

> On Jun 27, 2006, at 1:05 PM, David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> Yeah, that's a good way of putting it... Some things are certainly
>> more mainstream in OFBiz than others and so have more community
>> momentum behind them, and that is really what constitutes "support" in
>> a community driven project like OFBiz.
>>
>> If no one cares about it then it tends to stagnate. If people are
>> using it an working on it, even incrementally here and there with
>> small improvements, it thrives and is easier for people to use.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> ROTFLOL
>>> my dad use to say everybody is equal just some more than others.
>>> same with support.
>>> for what support there is, there is less for contributions.
>>> LOL.
>>> David E. Jones sent the following on 6/27/2006 12:51 PM:

Re: best practices for contributors

Adrian Crum
Looks good - thanks Si!

Si Chen wrote:

> Ok here it is---
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
>
> I added a lot of details about how to make patch files, since I just
> remembered some of the patch files we get are not quite "right."
>
> Si
>

> On Jun 27, 2006, at 1:05 PM, David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> Yeah, that's a good way of putting it... Some things are certainly
>> more mainstream in OFBiz than others and so have more community
>> momentum behind them, and that is really what constitutes "support"
>> in a community driven project like OFBiz.
>>
>> If no one cares about it then it tends to stagnate. If people are
>> using it an working on it, even incrementally here and there with
>> small improvements, it thrives and is easier for people to use.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> ROTFLOL
>>> my dad use to say everybody is equal just some more than others.
>>> same with support.
>>> for what support there is, there is less for contributions.
>>> LOL.
>>> David E. Jones sent the following on 6/27/2006 12:51 PM:

12