*forms.xml files and mini-lang

Eric Schwartz-6
i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a lot
of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc that i
am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
opening some other similar files in different applications to see the way
things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but feel
like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?

--
Eric Schwartz
Web Developer/IT Department

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Anil Patel
Eric,
If I am not wrong you have the David's Adv Framework Video, The Ofbiz
Framework Reference Book other then that Tutorials at
http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php

This should cover most of the questions you may have.

Regards
Anil Patel

On 1/30/07, Eric Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
> partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a
> lot
> of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc that i
> am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
> opening some other similar files in different applications to see the way
> things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but feel
> like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
> documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
> forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
> documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
>

> --
> Eric Schwartz
> Web Developer/IT Department
> 800.544.8665 ext 273

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Anil Patel
One thing I forgot to write, After this if you have question's please post
them, I'll be happy to help when possible.

Regards
Anil Patel

On 1/30/07, Anil Patel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eric,
> If I am not wrong you have the David's Adv Framework Video, The Ofbiz
> Framework Reference Book other then that Tutorials at
> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>
> This should cover most of the questions you may have.
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel
>

> On 1/30/07, Eric Schwartz < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
> > partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a
> > lot
> > of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc that
> > am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
> > opening some other similar files in different applications to see the
> > way
> > things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but
> > feel
> > like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
> >
> > documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
> > forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
> > documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
> >

> > --
> > Eric Schwartz
> > Web Developer/IT Department
> > 800.544.8665 ext 273
> > [hidden email]

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

I can confirm, the Adv Framework Video covers a very large spectrum of questions, like this one for instance. BTW, I use it at the
moment to complete the contextual documentation for mini-language.

Jacques

> If I am not wrong you have the David's Adv Framework Video, The Ofbiz
> Framework Reference Book other then that Tutorials at
> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>
> This should cover most of the questions you may have.
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel
>

> On 1/30/07, Eric Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
> > partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a
> > lot
> > of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc that i
> > am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
> > opening some other similar files in different applications to see the way
> > things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but feel
> > like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
> > documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
> > forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
> > documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
> >

> > --
> > Eric Schwartz
> > Web Developer/IT Department
> > 800.544.8665 ext 273
> > [hidden email]

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Eric Schwartz-6
thanks, i looked at most of this already but i will definitely go back over
them. what i found is they cover a lot but not much that has to do with tags
used in the forms like <display-entity> or tags that can be included in the
<field> tags like <hyperlink>. one thing i didn't do was check out the
videos because there so boring (haha just kidding david) but i will give
those a shot also. some of them are self explanatory and looking at other
files has helped a lot. thanks for your willingness to help i am definitely
going to take you up on it if i have specific questions.

"Anil Patel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> One thing I forgot to write, After this if you have question's please post
> them, I'll be happy to help when possible.
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel
>
> On 1/30/07, Anil Patel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Eric,
>> If I am not wrong you have the David's Adv Framework Video, The Ofbiz
>> Framework Reference Book other then that Tutorials at
>> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>>
>> This should cover most of the questions you may have.
>>
>> Regards
>> Anil Patel
>>

>> On 1/30/07, Eric Schwartz < [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
>> > partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a
>> > lot
>> > of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc
>> > that
>> > am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
>> > opening some other similar files in different applications to see the
>> > way
>> > things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but
>> > feel
>> > like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the
>> > mini-lang
>> >
>> > documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
>> > forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
>> > documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Eric Schwartz
>> > Web Developer/IT Department
>> > 800.544.8665 ext 273
>> > [hidden email]

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Eric Schwartz-6
ahh the form widget cookbook is going to be my friend for a while. thanks
again for the help. its really appreciated.

"Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

>I can confirm, the Adv Framework Video covers a very large spectrum of
>questions, like this one for instance. BTW, I use it at the
> moment to complete the contextual documentation for mini-language.
>
> Jacques

jonwimp
Hi Eric,

To be honest, those docs are not exactly full-blown references; they're overviews.

The way I do it is I dig for the "documentation" in the Java codes (OFBiz framework). You can
shoot me a quick question about any Minilang or Widget XML features/functions, and I'll dig a few
minutes into codes to give you a quick answer.

Alert! Discombobulating example ahead.

Some things are not immediately apparent without comprehensive references. Eg, for the
<entity-one> function (in Screen Widgets), it's widely-known (among OFBiz veterans) that you need
to specify a variable with the primary key name plus the primary key value in the context: <set
field="workEffortId" from-field="parameters.workEffortId"/>. The <entity-one> function hunts for
such a variable, and uses the value in that variable in its SQL "WHERE" clause like so: "WHERE
workEffortId = <primaryKeyValue>".

In this example, we're trying to grab a single row in entity WorkEffort based on the primary key
workEffortId. Doing a "<set field.../>" like that will create a variable "workEffortId" in the
context (think of context as a logged-in session). You'll also notice that the context also
contains a variable "parameters", inside of which there is another similar value (think of
variable "parameters" as key-value map of values, a "context" inside a context).

What is not apparent (given some of the examples I've seen in OFBiz codes) is that the
<entity-one> function also hunts for the primary key value inside the variable "parameters".
Therefore, given that the primary key value is already passed in through the web request (above
example), there is really no need to explicitly create a variable "workEffortId" for <entity-one>
to work.

What is even less apparent is the precedence between these 2 methods: specifying primary key in
context, or in context variable "parameters". The former overrides the latter. So if you do an
explicit "<set field.../>", you might be intending for the entity engine to ignore the primary key
value in variable "parameters".

Phew. Maybe the above can be pasted verbatim into some work-in-progress reference manual. Anyway,
that was just to illustrate my point.

I used to complain that the OFBiz veterans don't write proper references for these things
(Minilang, but more Widget XMLs). Now that I myself am also too busy (and too lazy!) to sit down
and distill my knowledge into proper references, you can probably cry the same complaints to me. :P

I'm currently trying (yeah, that's the operative word, given time constraints) to come up with a
comprehensive "engineer's manual" of sorts. You can help me. :) I'll dig through the codes to
teach you all of OFBiz's framework; you can put it down in a manual.

Just FYI, the OFBiz framework is really easy to pick up. Took me a few hours to get the whole (map
of) OFBiz framework. Beyond that, the OFBiz framework codes themselves (Java) have become my
"comprehensive reference".

Enjoy OFBiz!

Jonathon

Anil Patel wrote:

> Eric,
> If I am not wrong you have the David's Adv Framework Video, The Ofbiz
> Framework Reference Book other then that Tutorials at
> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>
> This should cover most of the questions you may have.
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel
>

> On 1/30/07, Eric Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
>> partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a
>> lot
>> of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc
>> that i
>> am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
>> opening some other similar files in different applications to see the way
>> things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but feel
>> like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
>> documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
>> forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
>> documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
>>

>> --
>> Eric Schwartz
>> Web Developer/IT Department
>> 800.544.8665 ext 273
>> [hidden email]

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

David E Jones

On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> I used to complain that the OFBiz veterans don't write proper
> references for these things (Minilang, but more Widget XMLs). Now
> that I myself am also too busy (and too lazy!) to sit down and
> distill my knowledge into proper references, you can probably cry
> the same complaints to me. :P
>
> I'm currently trying (yeah, that's the operative word, given time
> constraints) to come up with a comprehensive "engineer's manual" of
> sorts. You can help me. :) I'll dig through the codes to teach you
> all of OFBiz's framework; you can put it down in a manual.
>
> Just FYI, the OFBiz framework is really easy to pick up. Took me a
> few hours to get the whole (map of) OFBiz framework. Beyond that,
> the OFBiz framework codes themselves (Java) have become my
> "comprehensive reference".
Thanks for your feedback Jonathon.

A comprehensive "engineer's manual" does exist, but is not free for
the very time constraints you mention. We had to fund it somehow...
So, it is available in the "Apache OFBiz Advanced Framwork Training
Package" here:

http://www.undersunconsulting.com/ecommerce/control/main

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Eric Schwartz-6
i appreciate all the info guys, thanks again.

"Eric Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:epoao6$h77$[hidden email]...

>i have been working with a few of the forms.xml files like
>partyclassificationforms.xml (modified for jira issue 670). there are a lot
>of tags used in these files like display-entity, sub-hyperlink, etc that i
>am having a hard time finding references for. so far i have been just
>opening some other similar files in different applications to see the way
>things are done and so far that has been sufficient. i cant help but feel
>like there is a lot more to know. i checked out a bunch of the mini-lang
>documentation but they really dont talk about all the tags used in the
>forms.xml files. can anyone point me in the right direction to some
>documentation that explains the tags related more to forms?
>

> --
> Eric Schwartz
> Web Developer/IT Department
> 800.544.8665 ext 273

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Leon Torres-2
Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> To be honest, those docs are not exactly full-blown references; they're
> overviews.
>
> The way I do it is I dig for the "documentation" in the Java codes
> (OFBiz framework). You can shoot me a quick question about any Minilang
> or Widget XML features/functions, and I'll dig a few minutes into codes
> to give you a quick answer.

I'd like to echo Jonathon on this.  I'll share the methodology I used to learn
OFBiz, which was very quick.

Since this is an open source project, you can read the code as a direct,
detailed reference and for finding out how things work.  This is critically
important as it provides a framework from which a learning program can be devised:

1.  First get an overview of how things work in OFBiz, a connecting-the-dots
walkthrough.

2.  Start developing what you need right away.

   a.  Identify something that already exists in the system that is similar to
what you need to do.  Study it and mimic what it does.

   b.  Use the source code both as a reference and a guide to flesh out the
details and make customizations.

3.  If you run into difficulties, search the online docs, ask questions to the
community, your OFBiz mentor, a support rep, etc.

I have the great fortune to work with Si Chen directly, so step #3 has a very
quick turnaround time.

Also, the code is very readable, so don't be afraid of it!  It's also yours to
play with, so you can insert debug statements to track what's going on, break it
intentionally, etc.  You get to reverse engineer OFBiz and the code is in your
hands.

Debugging is another matter entirely, and for that we have a cookbook,

http://opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/ofbiz_debugging.txt

- Leon

Re: *forms.xml files and mini-lang

Eric Schwartz-6
i have been using the existing code a lot.sometimes it takes me a minute or
2 to get what its actually doing but i am picking it up. thanks again for
all the help.

news:[hidden email]...