hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

oceatoon
Hi ofbizians

we are trying to set up hot deploying for our jars, has anybody done this ?

is it possible to get Tomcat reload jars dynamically after compile like he
usually does when set up as a external server(not included in the
applications jar) ?
we've tried playing around with the shared folder, and some of the catalina
configurations...but without success.

Best Regards

Thx
Tibor

Re: hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

rhodebump
Tomcat has an admin application that allows for webapp load/unloading.
Look in the tomcat docs that came with your install.

Please be aware that doing this always causes a memory leak.

I never did this reloading in a production environment, we would usually
have multiple instances of an app server and patch one, restart each
one.  Because we have multiple instances running, we never had downtime,
although users did lose their session data.

Phillip

tibor katelbach wrote:

> Hi ofbizians
>
> we are trying to set up hot deploying for our jars, has anybody done
> this ?
>
> is it possible to get Tomcat reload jars dynamically after compile
> like he
> usually does when set up as a external server(not included in the
> applications jar) ?
> we've tried playing around with the shared folder, and some of the
> catalina
> configurations...but without success.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Thx
> Tibor

Re: hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

John Martin
Hi Phillip,

We are gearing up to run in a load balanced environment and based on what
you stated, I'm assuming that you are using sticky sessions for the users?
If so, what are you using for your load balancer and dealing with sticky SSL
traffic?

Thanks,

John

On 11/14/06, Phillip Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tomcat has an admin application that allows for webapp load/unloading.
> Look in the tomcat docs that came with your install.
>
> Please be aware that doing this always causes a memory leak.
>
> I never did this reloading in a production environment, we would usually
> have multiple instances of an app server and patch one, restart each
> one.  Because we have multiple instances running, we never had downtime,
> although users did lose their session data.
>
> Phillip
>

> tibor katelbach wrote:
>
> > Hi ofbizians
> >
> > we are trying to set up hot deploying for our jars, has anybody done
> > this ?
> >
> > is it possible to get Tomcat reload jars dynamically after compile
> > like he
> > usually does when set up as a external server(not included in the
> > applications jar) ?
> > we've tried playing around with the shared folder, and some of the
> > catalina
> > configurations...but without success.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Thx
> > Tibor

Re: hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

oceatoon
did you manage to do this with Tomcat inside Ofbiz ?
if yes, could you please share the procedure ?
we tried
<property name="apps-context-reloadable" value="false"/>
and manage to recompile but the newly compiled jar isn't used :(

Thx for the help
Tibor

On 11/14/06, John Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phillip,
>
> We are gearing up to run in a load balanced environment and based on what
> you stated, I'm assuming that you are using sticky sessions for the users?
> If so, what are you using for your load balancer and dealing with sticky
> SSL
> traffic?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> On 11/14/06, Phillip Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Tomcat has an admin application that allows for webapp load/unloading.
> > Look in the tomcat docs that came with your install.
> >
> > Please be aware that doing this always causes a memory leak.
> >
> > I never did this reloading in a production environment, we would usually
> > have multiple instances of an app server and patch one, restart each
> > one.  Because we have multiple instances running, we never had downtime,
> > although users did lose their session data.
> >
> > Phillip
> >

> > tibor katelbach wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ofbizians
> > >
> > > we are trying to set up hot deploying for our jars, has anybody done
> > > this ?
> > >
> > > is it possible to get Tomcat reload jars dynamically after compile
> > > like he
> > > usually does when set up as a external server(not included in the
> > > applications jar) ?
> > > we've tried playing around with the shared folder, and some of the
> > > catalina
> > > configurations...but without success.
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > > Thx
> > > Tibor

Re: hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

oceatoon
we tried loading catalina as a container , then when we recompile we get
>>> Cached loader got a known bad class name

I'm sure we're close to the goal,
can someone please enlighten us on this .

Best Regards
Tibor

On 11/14/06, tibor katelbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> did you manage to do this with Tomcat inside Ofbiz ?
> if yes, could you please share the procedure ?
> we tried
> <property name="apps-context-reloadable" value="false"/>
> and manage to recompile but the newly compiled jar isn't used :(
>
> Thx for the help
> Tibor
>

> On 11/14/06, John Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Phillip,
> >
> > We are gearing up to run in a load balanced environment and based on
> > what
> > you stated, I'm assuming that you are using sticky sessions for the
> > users?
> > If so, what are you using for your load balancer and dealing with sticky
> > SSL
> > traffic?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >
> > On 11/14/06, Phillip Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tomcat has an admin application that allows for webapp load/unloading.
> >
> > > Look in the tomcat docs that came with your install.
> > >
> > > Please be aware that doing this always causes a memory leak.
> > >
> > > I never did this reloading in a production environment, we would
> > usually
> > > have multiple instances of an app server and patch one, restart each
> > > one.  Because we have multiple instances running, we never had
> > downtime,
> > > although users did lose their session data.
> > >
> > > Phillip

Re: hot deploying jars, compiling without relaunch ?

rhodebump
Yes, we are doing sticky sessions for users.  This is part of mod_jk and
tomcat configuration.