is classification the best solution

CaseT
Hi,

I am fairly new to OFBiz and would like some feedback about whether this
configuration is the best solution.

I have organizations with branch offices and each of those offices have
departments.

People from those various departments will buy our products.

So I want the customer to be associated with a company, branch office and a
particular department.

My thought to implement this in OFBiz would be to make a recursive
classification group for the party group (company).

Or is there another, better, mechanism to provide for this type of
structure?

Thanks much,

Case Torres

http://www.casetorrestech.com

RE: is classification the best solution

David Künzler
Hi,
you may consider modelling this as an organization rollup using party
relationships:

Sample Data:
------------
Organization "Sample Org"
Branch Office "Sample Branch"
Department "Sample Department"
Person "Sample Person"

Roles and Relationships
-----------------------
"Sample Branch" in the role of "Branch Office" is a "Organization Rollup
Relation" of the party "Sample Org" in the role "Parent Corporation"

"Sample Department" in the role of "Department" is a "Organization Rollup
Relation" of the party "Sample Branch" in the role "Branch Office"

"Sample Person" in the role of "Employee" is a "Employee Relation" of the
party "Sample Department" in the role of "Department"

Comments
--------
Which roles and relationships you use (define) depends on what information
you have (will have) to track. Instead of the relation "Organization Rollup
Relation" you could use "Group Member (Relation)" which is less expressive
but could be expressive enough. Or you could use/define a "Branch Office
Relation" instead of a "Organization Rollup Relation" but the letter is
better.

As I understand classification it is meant for classifying (e.g.) your
customers. You could create a classification "Whole Sale Customer" and
assign "Sample Org" and/or "Sample Branch" and/or "Sample Department" and/or
"Sample Person(s)".

This is how I understand the data model but I can't tell you about OFBiz
Module's support of organization rollups or classifications (you may have to
implement your custom logic to support "Whole Sale Customers" in the
e-commerce module, ...).

Hope it helps,
D.K.