java 1.5 next steps

Adam Heath-2
So, you've all seen the jira issues I've filed, all with patches
attached.  I need those applied, so I can start feeding the large set of
changes I have.

Namely, I have a 10000 line patch against all of framework, adding the
following features:

1: generics markup
2: varargs
3: enhanced-for
4: *some* auto-boxing

I have plans on how I want to split it up, but my work would be much
simpler if someone would apply the patches I've already sent.

Re: java 1.5 next steps

Adrian Crum
Adam,

I'll have some time this weekend to test your patches.

-Adrian

Adam Heath wrote:

> So, you've all seen the jira issues I've filed, all with patches
> attached.  I need those applied, so I can start feeding the large set of
> changes I have.
>
> Namely, I have a 10000 line patch against all of framework, adding the
> following features:
>
> 1: generics markup
> 2: varargs
> 3: enhanced-for
> 4: *some* auto-boxing
>
> I have plans on how I want to split it up, but my work would be much
> simpler if someone would apply the patches I've already sent.

Re: java 1.5 next steps

David E Jones

Testing on these would be really great.

Based on a brief review some of them look good and pretty low risk,
but any may have side effects, and for some it seems likely to me
(like the changing where the listener thread is started... that can
be REALLY bad in production when requests flood in and webapp data is
only partially loaded and such). On that and any of them I haven't
looked at the details yet, these are just thoughts based on reading
the names and short descriptions.

So yeah, as with all other issues testing and feedback is enormously
valuable, the most important thing in fact.

-David

David E Jones wrote:

> Testing on these would be really great.
>
> Based on a brief review some of them look good and pretty low risk, but
> any may have side effects, and for some it seems likely to me (like the
> changing where the listener thread is started... that can be REALLY bad
> in production when requests flood in and webapp data is only partially
> loaded and such). On that and any of them I haven't looked at the
> details yet, these are just thoughts based on reading the names and
> short descriptions.
>
> So yeah, as with all other issues testing and feedback is enormously
> valuable, the most important thing in fact.

The 'listener' thread is used when you want to get 'status' on whether
ofbiz is running or not.  It is not used for serving any data.  It's
also used to initiate a shutdown.

Re: java 1.5 next steps

Joe Eckard
I have applied and tested several of these changes against an older
custom codebase currently in production and they seem to be working
well. The attention is much appreciated and I will leave comments in
JIRA, as I do not have framework commit privileges.

-Joe

On Oct 3, 2007, at 4:43 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> Testing on these would be really great.
>
> Based on a brief review some of them look good and pretty low risk,
> but any may have side effects, and for some it seems likely to me
> (like the changing where the listener thread is started... that can
> be REALLY bad in production when requests flood in and webapp data
> is only partially loaded and such). On that and any of them I
> haven't looked at the details yet, these are just thoughts based on
> reading the names and short descriptions.
>
> So yeah, as with all other issues testing and feedback is
> enormously valuable, the most important thing in fact.
>
> -David
>

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Adam,
>>
>> I'll have some time this weekend to test your patches.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Adam Heath wrote:
>>
>>> So, you've all seen the jira issues I've filed, all with patches
>>> attached.  I need those applied, so I can start feeding the large
>>> set of
>>> changes I have.
>>> Namely, I have a 10000 line patch against all of framework,
>>> adding the
>>> following features:
>>> 1: generics markup
>>> 2: varargs
>>> 3: enhanced-for

Joe Eckard wrote:
> I have applied and tested several of these changes against an older
> custom codebase currently in production and they seem to be working
> well. The attention is much appreciated and I will leave comments in
> JIRA, as I do not have framework commit privileges.

On that note, they have been use in production code here for 9 months,
against 2 code bases, separated by 6 months.

Re: java 1.5 next steps

It's cool to see a progress in using java 4.5 new features.
Hopefully I will do some tests too.
But I must say that I have already some issues awaiting review...

Jacques

De : "Adam Heath" <[hidden email]>

Adam Heath wrote:

> So, you've all seen the jira issues I've filed, all with patches
> attached.  I need those applied, so I can start feeding the large set of
> changes I have.
>
> Namely, I have a 10000 line patch against all of framework, adding the
> following features:
>
> 1: generics markup
> 2: varargs
> 3: enhanced-for
> 4: *some* auto-boxing

If everything up to OFBIZ-1306 is applied, then UtilCache will have
generics markup in it.  As you can tell, I've split that patch up into
several small chunks.  They *should* all compile, but I didn't verify.
I was actually just manually splitting the larger patch into these
smaller bits.  Sorry if it doesn't compile, but it will at the end of
the set.