jpublish.jar

Si Chen-2
David,

I see that you've removed jpublish so that the newer versions of bsf
can be integrated.  What can we do to put jpublish back into the main
repository?  Is there a newer version of jpublish which would work
well with the newer bsf stuff?  We have a lot of things which require
jpublish, including some ajax-related stuff we were going to
contribute back.

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Adam Heath-2
Si Chen wrote:
> David,
>
> I see that you've removed jpublish so that the newer versions of bsf can
> be integrated.  What can we do to put jpublish back into the main
> repository?  Is there a newer version of jpublish which would work well
> with the newer bsf stuff?  We have a lot of things which require
> jpublish, including some ajax-related stuff we were going to contribute
> back.

I've got a fixed jpublish I need to send in.  I downloaded the version
that ofbiz is using, and did the s/com.ibm.bsf/org.apache.bsf/ fix.
Seems to work locally.

Just been so busy.

Re: jpublish.jar

Si Chen-2
When do you think you can send this in?

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

> Si Chen wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I see that you've removed jpublish so that the newer versions of
>> bsf can
>> be integrated.  What can we do to put jpublish back into the main
>> repository?  Is there a newer version of jpublish which would work
>> well
>> with the newer bsf stuff?  We have a lot of things which require
>> jpublish, including some ajax-related stuff we were going to
>> contribute
>> back.
>
> I've got a fixed jpublish I need to send in.  I downloaded the version
> that ofbiz is using, and did the s/com.ibm.bsf/org.apache.bsf/ fix.
> Seems to work locally.
>
> Just been so busy.

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

Do we really want to do this? Part of the reason we wanted to remove
JPublish is that there doesn't seem to be much a community around it
and no one is maintaining it.

In other words, if we want it in OFBiz, we have to maintain it...
Unless it is really useful for something, I have a big problem with
that...

So, I guess in order to decide it would be good to know what you're
planning on (or have done) with JPublish that wouldn't work with
other things... and then see if that justifies maintaining JPublish.

-David

On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> When do you think you can send this in?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> Si Chen wrote:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I see that you've removed jpublish so that the newer versions of
>>> bsf can
>>> be integrated.  What can we do to put jpublish back into the main
>>> repository?  Is there a newer version of jpublish which would
>>> work well
>>> with the newer bsf stuff?  We have a lot of things which require
>>> jpublish, including some ajax-related stuff we were going to
>>> contribute
>>> back.
>>
>> I've got a fixed jpublish I need to send in.  I downloaded the
>> version
>> that ofbiz is using, and did the s/com.ibm.bsf/org.apache.bsf/ fix.
>> Seems to work locally.
>>
>> Just been so busy.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Si Chen-2
David,

We and some other people we work with all have OFBIZ-based
applications from the ofbiz 3.x days which are jpublish-based, so to
remove jpublish from the SVN and put in something which is
incompatible with it basically breaks all of our applications and
forces us to start to diverge from the core ofbiz code base in a way
that we don't want to.

I know what you mean about jpublish being not actively maintained,
but the flipside it seems just to work ok for us, so we don't need to
do too much for it.

I guess if we can coordinate with Adam Heath to get a new bsf-
compatible jpublish in the SVN then everything will be fine.  Until
then, are you planning to do something with the new bsf modules?
Could it wait until Adam finds it in his kindness to send us an
updated jpublish that he keeps promising?

On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:13 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> Do we really want to do this? Part of the reason we wanted to
> remove JPublish is that there doesn't seem to be much a community
> around it and no one is maintaining it.
>
> In other words, if we want it in OFBiz, we have to maintain it...
> Unless it is really useful for something, I have a big problem with
> that...
>
> So, I guess in order to decide it would be good to know what you're
> planning on (or have done) with JPublish that wouldn't work with
> other things... and then see if that justifies maintaining JPublish.
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> When do you think you can send this in?

>>> I've got a fixed jpublish I need to send in.  I downloaded the
>>> version
>>> that ofbiz is using, and did the s/com.ibm.bsf/org.apache.bsf/ fix.
>>> Seems to work locally.
>>>
>>> Just been so busy.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

I am not opposed to this.

It would have been nice if this had come up as an approach during
earlier and ongoing discussions as quite a few changes have now been
made to exclude JPublish (it would have to be put back into the
NOTICE/LICENSE files, the Libraries Included in OFBiz page, removed
from the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES and change build files, code, etc.

We would also need to keep a repository or at least a patch and how-
to somewhere so the jar file could be reproduced.

-David

On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> We and some other people we work with all have OFBIZ-based
> applications from the ofbiz 3.x days which are jpublish-based, so
> to remove jpublish from the SVN and put in something which is
> incompatible with it basically breaks all of our applications and
> forces us to start to diverge from the core ofbiz code base in a
> way that we don't want to.
>
> I know what you mean about jpublish being not actively maintained,
> but the flipside it seems just to work ok for us, so we don't need
> to do too much for it.
>
> I guess if we can coordinate with Adam Heath to get a new bsf-
> compatible jpublish in the SVN then everything will be fine.  Until
> then, are you planning to do something with the new bsf modules?
> Could it wait until Adam finds it in his kindness to send us an
> updated jpublish that he keeps promising?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:13 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> Do we really want to do this? Part of the reason we wanted to
>> remove JPublish is that there doesn't seem to be much a community
>> around it and no one is maintaining it.
>>
>> In other words, if we want it in OFBiz, we have to maintain it...
>> Unless it is really useful for something, I have a big problem
>> with that...
>>
>> So, I guess in order to decide it would be good to know what
>> you're planning on (or have done) with JPublish that wouldn't work
>> with other things... and then see if that justifies maintaining
>> JPublish.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> When do you think you can send this in?

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Si
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Si Chen-2
How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the
changes for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with a
new jpublish then we can merge it back in?

On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:11 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> I am not opposed to this.
>
> It would have been nice if this had come up as an approach during
> earlier and ongoing discussions as quite a few changes have now
> been made to exclude JPublish (it would have to be put back into
> the NOTICE/LICENSE files, the Libraries Included in OFBiz page,
> removed from the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES and change build files, code, etc.
>
> We would also need to keep a repository or at least a patch and how-
> to somewhere so the jar file could be reproduced.
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> We and some other people we work with all have OFBIZ-based
>> applications from the ofbiz 3.x days which are jpublish-based, so
>> to remove jpublish from the SVN and put in something which is
>> incompatible with it basically breaks all of our applications and
>> forces us to start to diverge from the core ofbiz code base in a
>> way that we don't want to.
>>
>> I know what you mean about jpublish being not actively maintained,
>> but the flipside it seems just to work ok for us, so we don't need
>> to do too much for it.
>>
>> I guess if we can coordinate with Adam Heath to get a new bsf-
>> compatible jpublish in the SVN then everything will be fine.
>> Until then, are you planning to do something with the new bsf
>> modules?   Could it wait until Adam finds it in his kindness to
>> send us an updated jpublish that he keeps promising?
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:13 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>>

>>> Do we really want to do this? Part of the reason we wanted to
>>> remove JPublish is that there doesn't seem to be much a community
>>> around it and no one is maintaining it.
>>>
>>> In other words, if we want it in OFBiz, we have to maintain it...
>>> Unless it is really useful for something, I have a big problem
>>> with that...
>>>
>>> So, I guess in order to decide it would be good to know what
>>> you're planning on (or have done) with JPublish that wouldn't
>>> work with other things... and then see if that justifies
>>> maintaining JPublish.
>>>
>>> -David

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

cjhowe
Just to provide a bit of background...here is the
change log for bsf

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/bsf/trunk/CHANGES.txt?revision=449377&view=markup

Has anyone tried just adding bsf version 2.2 instead
of 2.4?  It appears from the change log that the
namespace was changed in 2.3 and there were several
improvements to debugging that were made in 2.2.
However, that may introduce copyright issues that were
corrected in 2.3 as well.

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can
> put all the
> changes for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever
> shows up with a
> new jpublish then we can merge it back in?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:11 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

> > I am not opposed to this.
> >
> > It would have been nice if this had come up as an
> approach during
> > earlier and ongoing discussions as quite a few
> changes have now
> > been made to exclude JPublish (it would have to be
> put back into
> > the NOTICE/LICENSE files, the Libraries Included
> in OFBiz page,
> > removed from the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES and change
> build files, code, etc.
> >
> > We would also need to keep a repository or at
> least a patch and how-
> > to somewhere so the jar file could be reproduced.
> >
> > -David
> >

> > On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Si Chen wrote:
> >
> >> David,
> >>
> >> We and some other people we work with all have
> OFBIZ-based
> >> applications from the ofbiz 3.x days which are
> jpublish-based, so
> >> to remove jpublish from the SVN and put in
> something which is
> >> incompatible with it basically breaks all of our
> applications and
> >> forces us to start to diverge from the core ofbiz
> code base in a
> >> way that we don't want to.
> >>
> >> I know what you mean about jpublish being not
> actively maintained,
> >> but the flipside it seems just to work ok for us,
> so we don't need
> >> to do too much for it.
> >>
> >> I guess if we can coordinate with Adam Heath to
> get a new bsf-
> >> compatible jpublish in the SVN then everything
> will be fine.
> >> Until then, are you planning to do something with
> the new bsf
> >> modules?   Could it wait until Adam finds it in
> his kindness to
> >> send us an updated jpublish that he keeps
> promising?

> we wanted to
> much a community

> to maintain it...
> a big problem

> to know what
> that wouldn't
> justifies

> the newer versions
> jpublish back into the main
> jpublish which would
> things which require
> we were going to

> I downloaded the
> s/com.ibm.bsf/org.apache.bsf/

> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> Si
> >> [hidden email]
> >>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

 From a project perspective a branch seems like a lot of overhead for
this. Are you saying that you want to maintain such a branch? This
would include regular merges, etc.

The Screen Widget has been around for over 2 years, and JPublish
hasn't been maintained in at least that much time. Perhaps it's time
to recommend that everyone stop using it?

Part of the trouble is that there are other things that JPublish
depends on that we'll want to update or change, and any of those
(like bsf) that get in the way of updating other things will just
branch out to a big old problem...

-David

On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the
> changes for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with
> a new jpublish then we can merge it back in?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:11 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> I am not opposed to this.
>>
>> It would have been nice if this had come up as an approach during
>> earlier and ongoing discussions as quite a few changes have now
>> been made to exclude JPublish (it would have to be put back into
>> the NOTICE/LICENSE files, the Libraries Included in OFBiz page,
>> removed from the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES and change build files, code,
>> etc.
>>
>> We would also need to keep a repository or at least a patch and
>> how-to somewhere so the jar file could be reproduced.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> We and some other people we work with all have OFBIZ-based
>>> applications from the ofbiz 3.x days which are jpublish-based, so
>>> to remove jpublish from the SVN and put in something which is
>>> incompatible with it basically breaks all of our applications and
>>> forces us to start to diverge from the core ofbiz code base in a
>>> way that we don't want to.
>>>
>>> I know what you mean about jpublish being not actively
>>> maintained, but the flipside it seems just to work ok for us, so
>>> we don't need to do too much for it.
>>>
>>> I guess if we can coordinate with Adam Heath to get a new bsf-
>>> compatible jpublish in the SVN then everything will be fine.
>>> Until then, are you planning to do something with the new bsf
>>> modules?   Could it wait until Adam finds it in his kindness to
>>> send us an updated jpublish that he keeps promising?

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Si
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Andrew Zeneski
I see no reason to maintain the jpublish code in OFBiz. Due to the fact
all future components and enhancements to existing components will all
be widget based.

If the core OFBiz no longer depends on JPublish, then I see no reason to
maintain the old code.

On the flip side, older versions of OFBiz which are not being updated to
use the current version will continue to include the JPublish component
and should have no effect on these projects.

All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern, as such
I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.

I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
follow the XML method for responses.

Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I see a
number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my biggest fear
is that all of these will be following different patterns.

We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.

Andrew

David E Jones wrote:

> From a project perspective a branch seems like a lot of overhead for
> this. Are you saying that you want to maintain such a branch? This would
> include regular merges, etc.
>
> The Screen Widget has been around for over 2 years, and JPublish hasn't
> been maintained in at least that much time. Perhaps it's time to
> recommend that everyone stop using it?
>
> Part of the trouble is that there are other things that JPublish depends
> on that we'll want to update or change, and any of those (like bsf) that
> get in the way of updating other things will just branch out to a big
> old problem...
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the changes
>> for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with a new
>> jpublish then we can merge it back in?
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:11 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>>

>>> I am not opposed to this.
>>>
>>> It would have been nice if this had come up as an approach during
>>> earlier and ongoing discussions as quite a few changes have now been
>>> made to exclude JPublish (it would have to be put back into the
>>> NOTICE/LICENSE files, the Libraries Included in OFBiz page, removed
>>> from the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES and change build files, code, etc.
>>>
>>> We would also need to keep a repository or at least a patch and
>>> how-to somewhere so the jar file could be reproduced.
>>>
>>> -David

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]

Re: jpublish.jar

Si Chen-2
David, Andy -

I agree completely on having standards for the code.

It's not a matter of putting new jpublish code into OFBIZ but just a
matter of giving people backward compatibility so they can stay with
the project and, as a result, hopefully continue to contribute to it.

As a pragmatic solution, how about we try Chris Howe's suggestion to
use bsf-2.2 instead of -2.4, so we can just either keep jpublish.jar
in the project or at least keep it compatible with OFBIZ?

On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:26 PM, A. Zeneski wrote:

> I see no reason to maintain the jpublish code in OFBiz. Due to the
> fact
> all future components and enhancements to existing components will all
> be widget based.
>
> If the core OFBiz no longer depends on JPublish, then I see no
> reason to
> maintain the old code.
>
> On the flip side, older versions of OFBiz which are not being
> updated to
> use the current version will continue to include the JPublish
> component
> and should have no effect on these projects.
>
> All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern, as
> such
> I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.
>
> I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
> IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
> pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
> follow the XML method for responses.
>
> Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I
> see a
> number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my biggest
> fear
> is that all of these will be following different patterns.
>
> We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.
>
> Andrew
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>> From a project perspective a branch seems like a lot of overhead for
>> this. Are you saying that you want to maintain such a branch? This
>> would
>> include regular merges, etc.
>>
>> The Screen Widget has been around for over 2 years, and JPublish
>> hasn't
>> been maintained in at least that much time. Perhaps it's time to
>> recommend that everyone stop using it?
>>
>> Part of the trouble is that there are other things that JPublish
>> depends
>> on that we'll want to update or change, and any of those (like
>> bsf) that
>> get in the way of updating other things will just branch out to a big
>> old problem...
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the
>>> changes
>>> for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with a new
>>> jpublish then we can merge it back in?

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Si
>>> [hidden email]

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Andrew Zeneski
What do we have which depends on BSF? I see no reason not to keep the
older code available [in an optional or specialized area] until everyone
can migrate off of it. However, we need to restrict new contributions.
If people are developing off JPublish, I don't think we want to accept
the contribution until it is migrated to screen widgets.

We don't want to introduce old patterns back into the code base now that
we finally have all this migrated.

Andrew

Si Chen wrote:

> David, Andy -
>
> I agree completely on having standards for the code.
>
> It's not a matter of putting new jpublish code into OFBIZ but just a
> matter of giving people backward compatibility so they can stay with the
> project and, as a result, hopefully continue to contribute to it.
>
> As a pragmatic solution, how about we try Chris Howe's suggestion to use
> bsf-2.2 instead of -2.4, so we can just either keep jpublish.jar in the
> project or at least keep it compatible with OFBIZ?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:26 PM, A. Zeneski wrote:
>
>> I see no reason to maintain the jpublish code in OFBiz. Due to the fact
>> all future components and enhancements to existing components will all
>> be widget based.
>>
>> If the core OFBiz no longer depends on JPublish, then I see no reason to
>> maintain the old code.
>>
>> On the flip side, older versions of OFBiz which are not being updated to
>> use the current version will continue to include the JPublish component
>> and should have no effect on these projects.
>>
>> All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern, as such
>> I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.
>>
>> I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
>> IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
>> pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
>> follow the XML method for responses.
>>
>> Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I see a
>> number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my biggest fear
>> is that all of these will be following different patterns.
>>
>> We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> From a project perspective a branch seems like a lot of overhead for
>>> this. Are you saying that you want to maintain such a branch? This would
>>> include regular merges, etc.
>>>
>>> The Screen Widget has been around for over 2 years, and JPublish hasn't
>>> been maintained in at least that much time. Perhaps it's time to
>>> recommend that everyone stop using it?
>>>
>>> Part of the trouble is that there are other things that JPublish depends
>>> on that we'll want to update or change, and any of those (like bsf) that
>>> get in the way of updating other things will just branch out to a big
>>> old problem...
>>>
>>> -David

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

cjhowe
Just to be clear, I am not sure that 2.2 would
eliminate the problem.  I have nothing running on
JPublish to test it.  I'm only making the assumption
that it might work based on the change log making
mention of change of namespace in 2.3

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the code base.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > David E Jones wrote:
> >>
> >> From a project perspective a branch seems like a
> lot of overhead for
> >> this. Are you saying that you want to maintain
> such a branch? This
> >> would
> >> include regular merges, etc.
> >>
> >> The Screen Widget has been around for over 2
> years, and JPublish
> >> hasn't
> >> been maintained in at least that much time.
> Perhaps it's time to
> >> recommend that everyone stop using it?
> >>
> >> Part of the trouble is that there are other
> things that JPublish
> >> depends
> >> on that we'll want to update or change, and any
> of those (like
> >> bsf) that
> >> get in the way of updating other things will just

=== message truncated ===

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

So far it sounds like the least effort would be to get the JPublish
code and update it so it is okay with everything else, ie going back
to the beginning of this discussion.

Is there some reason that was removed from the table, or that you
don't like that option? If we are going to continue with JPublish at
all this would be the way to go.

Still, it sounds like the ONLY reason anyone would want JPublish is
for their own old code. The recommendation for that for the last 2
years has been to update it to use the Screen Widget, and I think we
want to continue that.

The simple fact is the JPublish is no longer used by OFBiz and is
getting in the way of other things. So, for your JPublish-using code
base I'd say you have 2 options:

1. change it to use the screen widget or something else
2. maintain JPublish so it is okay with things moving forward

-David

On Dec 13, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David, Andy -
>
> I agree completely on having standards for the code.
>
> It's not a matter of putting new jpublish code into OFBIZ but just
> a matter of giving people backward compatibility so they can stay
> with the project and, as a result, hopefully continue to contribute
> to it.
>
> As a pragmatic solution, how about we try Chris Howe's suggestion
> to use bsf-2.2 instead of -2.4, so we can just either keep
> jpublish.jar in the project or at least keep it compatible with OFBIZ?
>
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:26 PM, A. Zeneski wrote:
>
>> I see no reason to maintain the jpublish code in OFBiz. Due to the
>> fact
>> all future components and enhancements to existing components will
>> all
>> be widget based.
>>
>> If the core OFBiz no longer depends on JPublish, then I see no
>> reason to
>> maintain the old code.
>>
>> On the flip side, older versions of OFBiz which are not being
>> updated to
>> use the current version will continue to include the JPublish
>> component
>> and should have no effect on these projects.
>>
>> All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern,
>> as such
>> I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.
>>
>> I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
>> IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
>> pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
>> follow the XML method for responses.
>>
>> Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I
>> see a
>> number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my biggest
>> fear
>> is that all of these will be following different patterns.
>>
>> We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> From a project perspective a branch seems like a lot of overhead for
>>> this. Are you saying that you want to maintain such a branch?
>>> This would
>>> include regular merges, etc.
>>>
>>> The Screen Widget has been around for over 2 years, and JPublish
>>> hasn't
>>> been maintained in at least that much time. Perhaps it's time to
>>> recommend that everyone stop using it?
>>>
>>> Part of the trouble is that there are other things that JPublish
>>> depends
>>> on that we'll want to update or change, and any of those (like
>>> bsf) that
>>> get in the way of updating other things will just branch out to a
>>> big
>>> old problem...
>>>
>>> -David

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: jpublish.jar

Ean Schuessler
On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:16, Si Chen wrote:
> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the
> changes for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with a
> new jpublish then we can merge it back in?

Now Si, that's twice. No reason to be catty.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: jpublish.jar

Ean Schuessler
On Wednesday 13 December 2006 17:26, A. Zeneski wrote:

> I see no reason to maintain the jpublish code in OFBiz. Due to the fact
> all future components and enhancements to existing components will all
> be widget based.
>
> If the core OFBiz no longer depends on JPublish, then I see no reason to
> maintain the old code.
>
> On the flip side, older versions of OFBiz which are not being updated to
> use the current version will continue to include the JPublish component
> and should have no effect on these projects.
>
> All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern, as such
> I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.
>
> I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
> IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
> pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
> follow the XML method for responses.
>
> Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I see a
> number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my biggest fear
> is that all of these will be following different patterns.
>
> We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.

I believe there are still screens in some OFBiz applications that depend on
JPublish. I may be wrong about that but I think there may be some in the
content manager still. I would say that eliminating JPublish while any of the
apps in the standard distribution need it is a strange move.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

On Dec 13, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> I believe there are still screens in some OFBiz applications that
> depend on
> JPublish. I may be wrong about that but I think there may be some
> in the
> content manager still. I would say that eliminating JPublish while
> any of the
> apps in the standard distribution need it is a strange move.

Jacopo has been working on these over the last few weeks and recently
finished up converting all of the old JPublish pages to screen widget
screens.

So, there shouldn't be anything that relies on JPublish any more.

Re: jpublish.jar

You guys are being too much of a tease...

On Dec 13, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:16, Si Chen wrote:
>> How about we make a branch called "newbsf"? We can put all the
>> changes for the new bsf jars there, and if Adam ever shows up with a
>> new jpublish then we can merge it back in?
>
> Now Si, that's twice. No reason to be catty.
>
> --
> Ean Schuessler, CTO
> [hidden email]
> 214-720-0700 x 315
> Brainfood, Inc.
> http://www.brainfood.com

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

David,

Thinking about it further, I would have to agree with you.  Since
jpublish is no longer used by anything in the core OFBIZ, there is
not necessarily a reason to keep it any more.  Maintaining backward
compatibility is something that we'll just have to deal with separately.

I guess it just came as a shock is all.  I did not realize that the
plan was to remove jpublish rather than just deprecate it in favor of
the screen widgets, since that's what seems to have happened to the
regions framework from long long ago.  I really would have liked some
advanced notice about framework changes to plan things out.

Speaking of which, then, does the upgrading of the bsf jars mean that
you or anybody else who actually contributes to the project is
planning to do something with it in the near future?  Might be nice
to know :)

On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:56 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>> use the current version will continue to include the JPublish
>>> component
>>> and should have no effect on these projects.
>>>
>>> All new contributions to OFBiz should follow the widget pattern,
>>> as such
>>> I see no point in maintaining the old JPublish handlers.
>>>
>>> I don't like the idea of new contributions following older patterns.
>>> IMO, the code (ajax) should be converted to use JSON request handler
>>> pattern. I assume that since JPublish was used, this was intended to
>>> follow the XML method for responses.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should open up more discussion regarding new patterns. I
>>> see a
>>> number of AJAX being implemented in the near future and my
>>> biggest fear
>>> is that all of these will be following different patterns.
>>>
>>> We need to set a standard and follow it through the code base.

Best Regards,

Si

Re: jpublish.jar

David E Jones-2

I know there is a lot going on in the project and things like this
can get lost in the noise, but this was discussed and decided on a
few weeks ago.

The main Jira issue related to it is:

 From a quick search, here is some of the discussion related to it:

http://www.nabble.com/-jira--Created%3A-%28OFBIZ-401%29-upgrade-bsf-
to-something-a-bit-more-modern-tf2497863.html#a7058229
http://www.nabble.com/Use-of-ancient-libraries-in-ofbiz%2C-and-
release-candidates-tf2555867.html#a7122319
http://www.nabble.com/Dev---Migration-from-JPublish-to-Screen-Widget-
tf1109358.html#a2898253

-David