notsoserial on jcenter repo?

Hi Eirik,

I contact you on behalf of the Apache OFBiz® Project Management Committee.

We have decided to use notsoserial to provide security for our users
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/The+infamous+Java+serialization+vulnerability

We recently moved from Ant to Gradle. After this discussion http://markmail.org/message/ppxjeagqrwx6tkj3 (you don't need to read it, just a cross
reference for us ;)) we thought to ask you if you would mind pushing notsoserial to jcenter repo?

The reason is it's better for us to have you taking care of that rather than having to create a fork and update on your changes. I guess it would help
other projects as well. I know some other Top Level Apache Projects (TLP) are also relying on notsoserial.

I hope it's not too much to ask. I saw that you seems to be in vacation https://twitter.com/eirbjo we are not in a hurry (the cinnamon roll seems
quite weird to me :))

Best regards

Re: notsoserial on jcenter repo?

We did not get an answer yet, but Taher suggested another possibility: gradle-repositories-plugin on GitHub. It's not yet evaluated but could be a
workaround, my only concern is stability in time...

> Hi Eirik,
>
> We have decided to use notsoserial to provide security for our users
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/The+infamous+Java+serialization+vulnerability
>
> We recently moved from Ant to Gradle. After this discussion http://markmail.org/message/ppxjeagqrwx6tkj3 (you don't need to read it, just a cross
> reference for us ;)) we thought to ask you if you would mind pushing notsoserial to jcenter repo?
>
> The reason is it's better for us to have you taking care of that rather than having to create a fork and update on your changes. I guess it would
> help other projects as well. I know some other Top Level Apache Projects (TLP) are also relying on notsoserial.
>
> I hope it's not too much to ask. I saw that you seems to be in vacation https://twitter.com/eirbjo we are not in a hurry (the cinnamon roll seems
> quite weird to me :))
>
> Best regards

Re: notsoserial on jcenter repo?

taher
Hi Jacques,

I would consider this to be the worst case scenario and no other solutions
available. I would much rather pull this library from some remote location.
So let's try to find a solution there first because adding the library this
way adds a lot of complexity to both the build script, build time,
dependencies, etc ...

Taher Alkhateeb

On Aug 24, 2016 10:04 AM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We did not get an answer yet, but Taher suggested another possibility:
> gradle-repositories-plugin on GitHub. It's not yet evaluated but could be a
> workaround, my only concern is stability in time...
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 22/08/2016 à 22:09, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>
>> Hi Eirik,
>>
>> We have decided to use notsoserial to provide security for our users
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/The+infamo
>> us+Java+serialization+vulnerability
>>
>> We recently moved from Ant to Gradle. After this discussion
>> http://markmail.org/message/ppxjeagqrwx6tkj3 (you don't need to read it,
>> just a cross reference for us ;)) we thought to ask you if you would mind
>> pushing notsoserial to jcenter repo?
>>
>> The reason is it's better for us to have you taking care of that rather
>> than having to create a fork and update on your changes. I guess it would
>> help other projects as well. I know some other Top Level Apache Projects
>> (TLP) are also relying on notsoserial.
>>
>> I hope it's not too much to ask. I saw that you seems to be in vacation
>> https://twitter.com/eirbjo we are not in a hurry (the cinnamon roll
>> seems quite weird to me :))
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Jacques

Re: notsoserial on jcenter repo?

Pierre Smits
I agree with Taher: it better to push this library yourself (if no support
is coming from the original providers) to the external repo and pull from
there, than adding additional complexities in the build for just 1 library.
The latter will have bigger consequences down the line.

Having pushed the library yourself to the external repo doesn't mean you
will be responsible for the maintenance of its code. You just make it
available in generally accepted ways. Like others have done before you with
exotics.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]