ofbiz desktop client ?

Mohammed Hagag
Hi all,
i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
organizations, is there any project like this?
and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
server, is it easy or hard to be done ?

--
Mohamed M. Hagag
محمد محمود حجاج
http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

David E Jones

It is certainly possible, and I'm aware of a few efforts to create
things like this based on OFBiz.

The term "client server" usually refers to a heavier client
application talking directly to the database server, and that is
basically what the POS application is (using a Swing UI, based on XUI).

Another, generally better, approach is to have a lighter application
that talks to service on an application server. The OFBiz framework
supports this easily as well talking to the server in limited ways
using SOAP or XML-RPC, or more flexibly with a remote dispatcher for
the OFBiz Service Engine. For example code and comments describing how
to use it see the java file for:

org.ofbiz.service.rmi.ExampleRemoteClient

-David

On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Mohammed Hagag wrote:

> Hi all,
> i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
> technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
> organizations, is there any project like this?
> and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
> server, is it easy or hard to be done ?
>
> --
> Mohamed M. Hagag
> محمد محمود حجاج
> http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
> http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

Rodrigo Lima-2
Create off-line applications and conect to ofbiz services.
This arquiteture is cool.

2008/1/4, David E Jones <[hidden email]>:

> It is certainly possible, and I'm aware of a few efforts to create
> things like this based on OFBiz.
>
> The term "client server" usually refers to a heavier client
> application talking directly to the database server, and that is
> basically what the POS application is (using a Swing UI, based on XUI).
>
> Another, generally better, approach is to have a lighter application
> that talks to service on an application server. The OFBiz framework
> supports this easily as well talking to the server in limited ways
> using SOAP or XML-RPC, or more flexibly with a remote dispatcher for
> the OFBiz Service Engine. For example code and comments describing how
> to use it see the java file for:
>
> org.ofbiz.service.rmi.ExampleRemoteClient
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Mohammed Hagag wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
> > technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
> > organizations, is there any project like this?
> > and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
> > server, is it easy or hard to be done ?
> >
> > --
> > Mohamed M. Hagag
> > محمد محمود حجاج
> > http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
> > http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

What about using REST along with other ways ?
I know this is possible in OFBiz. My question is more because I wonder why I did not see any use of this word but in questions from
Vedam in November.

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
It is certainly possible, and I'm aware of a few efforts to create
things like this based on OFBiz.

The term "client server" usually refers to a heavier client
application talking directly to the database server, and that is
basically what the POS application is (using a Swing UI, based on XUI).

Another, generally better, approach is to have a lighter application
that talks to service on an application server. The OFBiz framework
supports this easily as well talking to the server in limited ways
using SOAP or XML-RPC, or more flexibly with a remote dispatcher for
the OFBiz Service Engine. For example code and comments describing how
to use it see the java file for:

org.ofbiz.service.rmi.ExampleRemoteClient

-David

On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Mohammed Hagag wrote:

> Hi all,
> i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
> technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
> organizations, is there any project like this?
> and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
> server, is it easy or hard to be done ?
>
> --
> Mohamed M. Hagag
> Ù.Ø­Ù.د Ù.Ø­Ù.Ù^د حجاج
> http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
> http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

Of course if you know nothing about REST (like me last week) this may *really* help :
http://tomayko.com/articles/2004/12/12/rest-to-my-wife

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>

> What about using REST along with other ways ?
> I know this is possible in OFBiz. My question is more because I wonder why I did not see any use of this word but in questions
> from Vedam in November.
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> It is certainly possible, and I'm aware of a few efforts to create
> things like this based on OFBiz.
>
> The term "client server" usually refers to a heavier client
> application talking directly to the database server, and that is
> basically what the POS application is (using a Swing UI, based on XUI).
>
> Another, generally better, approach is to have a lighter application
> that talks to service on an application server. The OFBiz framework
> supports this easily as well talking to the server in limited ways
> using SOAP or XML-RPC, or more flexibly with a remote dispatcher for
> the OFBiz Service Engine. For example code and comments describing how
> to use it see the java file for:
>
> org.ofbiz.service.rmi.ExampleRemoteClient
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Mohammed Hagag wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
>> technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
>> organizations, is there any project like this?
>> and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
>> server, is it easy or hard to be done ?
>>
>> --
>> Mohamed M. Hagag
>> Ù.Ø­Ù.د Ù.Ø­Ù.Ù^د حجاج
>> http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
>> http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

BJ Freeman
I hear I thought the web came from SGML. :)
here is another link
http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/4/2008 11:52 PM:

> Of course if you know nothing about REST (like me last week) this may
> *really* help : http://tomayko.com/articles/2004/12/12/rest-to-my-wife
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
>> What about using REST along with other ways ?
>> I know this is possible in OFBiz. My question is more because I wonder
>> why I did not see any use of this word but in questions from Vedam in
>> November.
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> It is certainly possible, and I'm aware of a few efforts to create
>> things like this based on OFBiz.
>>
>> The term "client server" usually refers to a heavier client
>> application talking directly to the database server, and that is
>> basically what the POS application is (using a Swing UI, based on XUI).
>>
>> Another, generally better, approach is to have a lighter application
>> that talks to service on an application server. The OFBiz framework
>> supports this easily as well talking to the server in limited ways
>> using SOAP or XML-RPC, or more flexibly with a remote dispatcher for
>> the OFBiz Service Engine. For example code and comments describing how
>> to use it see the java file for:
>>
>> org.ofbiz.service.rmi.ExampleRemoteClient
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jan 4, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Mohammed Hagag wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> i'm thinking if there's an ofbiz desktop client based on some
>>> technology like eclipse RCP it will attract more users and
>>> organizations, is there any project like this?
>>> and if not, does ofbiz supports this model of development client /
>>> server, is it easy or hard to be done ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mohamed M. Hagag
>>> Ù.Ø­Ù.د Ù.Ø­Ù.Ù^د حجاج
>>> http://bintoo.sf.net/drpl/
>>> http://mohamedhagag.wordpress.com

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

David E Jones

REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
"REST along with other ways".

-David

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
"REST along with other ways".

-David

As BJ suggested in http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html you can create Web services in REST spirit. I know this have some
limitations (regarding object types arguments) but don't you think it's a best practice to use this type of Web services before
thinking about using SOAP when you are in an heterogeneous environment (ie not only Java using RMI) ?

Jacques

On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:14 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
> do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
> "REST along with other ways".
>
> -David
>
> As BJ suggested in http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html you
> can create Web services in REST spirit. I know this have some
> limitations (regarding object types arguments) but don't you think
> it's a best practice to use this type of Web services before
> thinking about using SOAP when you are in an heterogeneous
> environment (ie not only Java using RMI) ?
>
> Jacques
How would we implement a REST type web service interface?

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

BJ Freeman
In the same format of UPS, FedEx, USPS web tools.
and leave the UI up to further interpretation.
By using templates both for sending and receiving
the actual format of the data does not have to conform to Ofbiz.
Use of URL redirects to java or simple methods allows the return data to
be recieved.
Since ofbiz already has Https: secure URLS, the data can be sent and
recived in a secure fashion.
I believe this provides the most flexibity.
Do I recommend that Ofbiz adopt this loose frame work and add this to
the Trunk. No. By this I mean do not create interfaces for all the
screens ofbiz has now.
Do I recommend that this type of application interface be put in the
examples, Yes.

David E Jones sent the following on 1/7/2008 6:09 AM:

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:14 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
>> do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
>> "REST along with other ways".
>>
>> -David
>>
>> As BJ suggested in http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html you
>> can create Web services in REST spirit. I know this have some
>> limitations (regarding object types arguments) but don't you think
>> it's a best practice to use this type of Web services before thinking
>> about using SOAP when you are in an heterogeneous environment (ie not
>> only Java using RMI) ?
>>
>> Jacques
>
> How would we implement a REST type web service interface?

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:14 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
>> do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
>> "REST along with other ways".
>>
>> -David
>>
>> As BJ suggested in http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html you
>> can create Web services in REST spirit. I know this have some
>> limitations (regarding object types arguments) but don't you think
>> it's a best practice to use this type of Web services before
>> thinking about using SOAP when you are in an heterogeneous
>> environment (ie not only Java using RMI) ?
>>
>> Jacques
>
> How would we implement a REST type web service interface?

Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service are
the same, am'I wrong ?

The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At the beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the
question.

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

David E Jones

On Jan 7, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:14 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>>> REST is a more general architectural concept... what does it have to
>>> do with this? In other words, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
>>> "REST along with other ways".
>>>
>>> -David
>>>
>>> As BJ suggested in http://www.xfront.com/REST-Web-Services.html you
>>> can create Web services in REST spirit. I know this have some
>>> limitations (regarding object types arguments) but don't you think
>>> it's a best practice to use this type of Web services before
>>> thinking about using SOAP when you are in an heterogeneous
>>> environment (ie not only Java using RMI) ?
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>
>> How would we implement a REST type web service interface?
>
> Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for
> arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service are
> the same, am'I wrong ?
>
> The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At
> the beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the question.
I think the point of REST is that it is an architectural approach, and
pretty much anything that transfers information according to the REST
patterns qualifies, and I'd interpret those to even include SOAP if it
is used appropriately (like request/response via HTTP) as SOAP is just
an information container specific to remote invocation.

Thanks for describing in more detail what you had in mind. Actually
what you describe already exists, it is the "http" service runner
(org.ofbiz.service.engine.HttpEngine).

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

>>> How would we implement a REST type web service interface?
>>
>> Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for  arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service
>> are  the same, am'I wrong ?
>>
>> The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At  the beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the
>> question.
>
> I think the point of REST is that it is an architectural approach, and  pretty much anything that transfers information according
> to the REST  patterns qualifies, and I'd interpret those to even include SOAP if it  is used appropriately (like request/response
> via HTTP) as SOAP is just  an information container specific to remote invocation.
>
> Thanks for describing in more detail what you had in mind. Actually  what you describe already exists, it is the "http" service
> runner  (org.ofbiz.service.engine.HttpEngine).
>
> -David

Thanks for comments David,

Finally to close this thread and for anybody interested, here an abstract :
http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1231889,00.html (but remember to have all opinions on this Google for "soap vs
rest"...)

Jacques

PS : I guess the main reason of interest in SOAP lays in IDEs able to provide automatic generation of SOAP based interfaces for
existing code.

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

Actually there is a key concept that is missing here.
in REST
the example
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
          <Part id="00345"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00345"/>
          <Part id="00346"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00346"/>
          <Part id="00347"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00347"/>
          <Part id="00348"
xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00348"/>

provides a list of all possible links are provided.
so say for 27,000 parts this list could be very big.
then if you have option and variants, it could be a file that has
millions of links.

David E Jones sent the following on 1/7/2008 7:01 PM:

>>> How would we implement a REST type web service interface?
>>
>> Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for
>> arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service are the
>> same, am'I wrong ?
>>
>> The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At the
>> beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the question.
>
> I think the point of REST is that it is an architectural approach, and
> pretty much anything that transfers information according to the REST
> patterns qualifies, and I'd interpret those to even include SOAP if it
> is used appropriately (like request/response via HTTP) as SOAP is just
> an information container specific to remote invocation.
>
> Thanks for describing in more detail what you had in mind. Actually what
> you describe already exists, it is the "http" service runner
> (org.ofbiz.service.engine.HttpEngine).

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

Interesting, thanks for comment BJ,

Note that you might also use a parametrised URI like http://www.parts-depot.com/parts?00345 which may avoid link repetitions, though
I'm not sure how yet.
This is how Amazon's OpenSearch works : http://www.opensearch.org/Home
Maybe better explained here http://xml.com/pub/a/2005/09/21/atom-store-web-database.html
And definitively by http://www.xml.com/pub/at/34

Jacques

PS : still trying to understand this new stuff for me

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> Actually there is a key concept that is missing here.
> in REST
> the example
>    <?xml version="1.0"?>
>             xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>          <Part id="00345"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00345"/>
>          <Part id="00346"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00346"/>
>          <Part id="00347"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00347"/>
>          <Part id="00348"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00348"/>
>
> provides a list of all possible links are provided.
> so say for 27,000 parts this list could be very big.
> then if you have option and variants, it could be a file that has
> millions of links.
>
> David E Jones sent the following on 1/7/2008 7:01 PM:

>>> Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for
>>> arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service are the
>>> same, am'I wrong ?
>>>
>>> The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At the
>>> beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the question.
>>
>> I think the point of REST is that it is an architectural approach, and
>> pretty much anything that transfers information according to the REST
>> patterns qualifies, and I'd interpret those to even include SOAP if it
>> is used appropriately (like request/response via HTTP) as SOAP is just
>> an information container specific to remote invocation.
>>
>> Thanks for describing in more detail what you had in mind. Actually what
>> you describe already exists, it is the "http" service runner
>> (org.ofbiz.service.engine.HttpEngine).
>>
>> -David

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

Though Google seems to deal easily with such things (Billions links), and the Web is the proof of the REST architecture high value,
your comment stills make me wondering...

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> Actually there is a key concept that is missing here.
> in REST
> the example
>    <?xml version="1.0"?>
>             xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>          <Part id="00345"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00345"/>
>          <Part id="00346"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00346"/>
>          <Part id="00347"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00347"/>
>          <Part id="00348"
> xlink:href="http://www.parts-depot.com/parts/00348"/>
>
> provides a list of all possible links are provided.
> so say for 27,000 parts this list could be very big.
> then if you have option and variants, it could be a file that has
> millions of links.
>
> David E Jones sent the following on 1/7/2008 7:01 PM:

>>> Using an HTTP service (ie using <ofbiz-ser> and XmlSerializer for
>>> arguments). In my mind REST type web service and  HTTP service are the
>>> same, am'I wrong ?
>>>
>>> The idea is to avoid the SOAP overhead when it's not mandatory. At the
>>> beginning I Googled for "rest vs soap" from which the question.
>>
>> I think the point of REST is that it is an architectural approach, and
>> pretty much anything that transfers information according to the REST
>> patterns qualifies, and I'd interpret those to even include SOAP if it
>> is used appropriately (like request/response via HTTP) as SOAP is just
>> an information container specific to remote invocation.
>>
>> Thanks for describing in more detail what you had in mind. Actually what
>> you describe already exists, it is the "http" service runner
>> (org.ofbiz.service.engine.HttpEngine).
>>
>> -David

Re: ofbiz desktop client ?

to parametrize is not the REST WAY. :)
and for machine to machine millions of links is not bad.
for using for a UI, the time lag is beyond what most users would tolerate.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/9/2008 2:30 AM: