ofbiz vs. opentaps?

rhodebump
I was wondering what functionality Opentaps provides on top of ofbiz?  What
would make someone to choose between the 2 products?

Thanks.

Re: ofbiz vs. opentaps?

Si Chen-2
spamsucks wrote:
> I was wondering what functionality Opentaps provides on top of ofbiz?
> What would make someone to choose between the 2 products?
>
> Thanks.

All explained on opentaps.org

Re: ofbiz vs. opentaps?

Torsten Schlabach-2
 > All explained on opentaps.org

Could you be a bit more specific maybe?

I was asking myself the very same question before.

When I click on "Documentation" in the opentaps.org site, a lot of this
links back to the OFBiz site. So maybe just some bullets would be useful.

Regards,
Torsten

Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> > All explained on opentaps.org
>
> Could you be a bit more specific maybe?
>
> I was asking myself the very same question before.
>
> When I click on "Documentation" in the opentaps.org site, a lot of
> this links back to the OFBiz site. So maybe just some bullets would be
> useful.
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> Si Chen schrieb:
>> spamsucks wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering what functionality Opentaps provides on top of
>>> ofbiz?  What would make someone to choose between the 2 products?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> All explained on opentaps.org

Well, maybe you can help me make the opentaps.org easier to understand.
So here is where the information is:

1.  www.opentaps.org - at the bottom of the page
2.
http://www.opentaps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=31&Itemid=54
under "Developers"

Where else should I put it?

By the way, it's not always clear where people look for things.  Right
under the "Documentation" tab it used to say "Download manuals and video
demos..."  but because it wasn't also under the "User Documentation"
document, people couldn't find it.

Re: ofbiz vs. opentaps?

Walter Vaughan
Si Chen wrote:
> [...]

Actually a better link would be
http://www.opentaps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=73

What makes opentaps "opentaps" lives in the hot-deploy directory of ofBiz.

If you are wanting fleshed out accounting or CRM with your ofBiz, then openTaps
is the way to go. It's not a matter of Chevy vs. Ford (maybe I'm showing my
age... try Honda vs. Toyota), Linux or BSD.

Its more like "ofBiz" or "ofBiz +plus+ opentaps".

I should disclose that we are working very closely with the opentaps folks to
improve opentaps financials and add in more catalog/direct marketing features to
both ofBiz and Opentaps, so I am quite biased as to the added feature set of
opentaps.

But there is nothing to choose from. It entirely dependent upon if you need
added accounting and CRM features. If you don't, then you follow the ofBiz svn.
If you do, you still follow the ofBiz svn, and you then svn the opentaps
financials and/or crmsfa directories in your hot-deploy directory.

--
Walter

Re: ofbiz vs. opentaps?

Torsten Schlabach-2
Hi Walter,

your explaination now does make a lot of sense to me! Thank you for
clarification.

 > If you do, you still follow the ofBiz svn, and you then svn the
 > opentaps financials and/or crmsfa directories in your hot-deploy
 > directory.

What is beeing done to make sure that the modules you provide will
remain compatible with future versions of OFBiz SVN?

And maybe this question sounds a bit stupid but I will ask it anyway:

As Opentaps is OSS as well, why don't you just contribute to the OFBiz
project? I forsee that sooner or later someone else in the project will
start an improved financials module as well and it might conflict with
yours.

Regards,
Torsten