suggestion for release branching and tagging

suggestion for release branching and tagging

Si Chen-2
David, et. al -

I just read this: http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan  I
think it looks pretty good, but I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions:

1.  We should have a trunk for each release if that's not already
planned, so we'll have

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk for the main trunk

and

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0/trunk

for the release trunk

2.  We should also add something for tagging, like
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tags

So we can tag the SVN r which goes into the release making.  We should
also have a tags directory within each release
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0/tags/

That can be used to tag the sub-versions of a release, like 4.0.0RC-1,
4.0.0RC-2, 4.0.0, 4.0.1, etc. etc.

Si

Re: suggestion for release branching and tagging

David E Jones

Si,

I'm not a huge fan of tags because it's so easy to note revision
numbers. Still, I agree this is a good idea to have a separate
directory for tags and in fact, thanks for brining this up because it
is part of the standard ASF practices to do tags for releases.

Let's not use the "trunk" name for the directory though, that kind of
implies that it could have it's on branches...

How about something like:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0
and
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0-tags

Does that sound reasonable?

-David

On Apr 18, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David, et. al -
>
> I just read this: http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release
> +Plan  I think it looks pretty good, but I'd like to offer a couple
> of suggestions:
>
> 1.  We should have a trunk for each release if that's not already
> planned, so we'll have
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk for the main trunk
>
> and
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0/trunk
>
> for the release trunk
>
> 2.  We should also add something for tagging, like
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tags
>
> So we can tag the SVN r which goes into the release making.  We
> should also have a tags directory within each release
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0/tags/
>
> That can be used to tag the sub-versions of a release, like
> 4.0.0RC-1, 4.0.0RC-2, 4.0.0, 4.0.1, etc. etc.
>
> Si

Re: suggestion for release branching and tagging

Christian Geisert
David E. Jones schrieb:

> Si,
>
> I'm not a huge fan of tags because it's so easy to note revision
> numbers. Still, I agree this is a good idea to have a separate directory
> for tags and in fact, thanks for brining this up because it is part of
> the standard ASF practices to do tags for releases.
>
> Let's not use the "trunk" name for the directory though, that kind of
> implies that it could have it's on branches...
>
> How about something like:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0

+1

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0-tags

ASF practice (actually subversion best pratice) would be
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tags/release-4.0
(i.e. all tags in one place)

Christian

On Apr 19, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Christian Geisert wrote:

> David E. Jones schrieb:
>>
>> Si,
>>
>> I'm not a huge fan of tags because it's so easy to note revision
>> numbers. Still, I agree this is a good idea to have a separate
>> directory
>> for tags and in fact, thanks for brining this up because it is
>> part of
>> the standard ASF practices to do tags for releases.
>>
>> Let's not use the "trunk" name for the directory though, that kind of
>> implies that it could have it's on branches...
>>
>> How about something like:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0
>
> +1
>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release-4.0-tags
>
> ASF practice (actually subversion best pratice) would be
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tags/release-4.0
> (i.e. all tags in one place)
Thanks for the sanity check Christian, that makes much more sense...
ie use the directory structure already in place, no need for special
treatment.