tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

Si Chen-2
Hi.  I have two tax related questions -

1.  Does OFBiz support tax on tax?  I just wanted to confirm that it
does not.  Looking at TaxAuthorityServices getTaxAdjustments method,
as it seems to iterate over all the TaxAuthorityRateProduct in the
"filteredList", multiplies each one by the itemAmount, and then adds
them to the list of adjustments.

2.  Is the TaxAuthorityRateproduct's "Title Transfer" field required
or not?  When you create a Tax Authority Rate Product the drop down
does not allow an empty value, but the update form does, and it seems
that updating it to no value is OK too.  If so, I'll just make a
change to the form to fix it.

Si

Re: tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

David E Jones-2

On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> 1.  Does OFBiz support tax on tax?  I just wanted to confirm that
> it does not.  Looking at TaxAuthorityServices getTaxAdjustments
> method, as it seems to iterate over all the TaxAuthorityRateProduct
> in the "filteredList", multiplies each one by the itemAmount, and
> then adds them to the list of adjustments.

Yeah, that sounds right. In other words: no, there is not support
right now for charging tax on tax.

Is this a requirement you've run into somewhere? Sounds a bit
nasty... from a business perspective and a technical perspective. ;)

Re: tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>
> > 1.  Does OFBiz support tax on tax?  I just wanted to confirm that
> > it does not.  Looking at TaxAuthorityServices getTaxAdjustments
> > method, as it seems to iterate over all the TaxAuthorityRateProduct
> > in the "filteredList", multiplies each one by the itemAmount, and
> > then adds them to the list of adjustments.
>
> Yeah, that sounds right. In other words: no, there is not support
> right now for charging tax on tax.

> Is this a requirement you've run into somewhere? Sounds a bit
> nasty... from a business perspective and a technical perspective. ;)
>
> -David

In France a such thing existed. It's called CSG (Contribution Sociale Généralisée or in english something like Social Generalized
Contribution). Actually only a part of CSG was really tax on tax.This normally has been corrected but I'm not totaly sure... I can
see many other cases where such thing actually exists, they are peculiar cases but they exist. It seems also that at least it exists
in Canada.

That does not mean that I need it...

Re: tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

Si Chen-2
It is very much a nasty practice, but it does seem like there are
countries that practice it: a regional tax on top of a national or
federal tax.  As long as all products would require both national and
federal tax, I think we're OK - we can just put in a regional tax at
a higher rate.  If we run into a situation where some products are
charged a federal tax and some not, all are charged a regional tax,
and the regional tax is a tax-on-tax, then we'd need to model the tax-
on-tax.  :)

Si

On Aug 25, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> 1.  Does OFBiz support tax on tax?  I just wanted to confirm that
>>> it does not.  Looking at TaxAuthorityServices getTaxAdjustments
>>> method, as it seems to iterate over all the TaxAuthorityRateProduct
>>> in the "filteredList", multiplies each one by the itemAmount, and
>>> then adds them to the list of adjustments.
>>
>> Yeah, that sounds right. In other words: no, there is not support
>> right now for charging tax on tax.
>
>> Is this a requirement you've run into somewhere? Sounds a bit
>> nasty... from a business perspective and a technical perspective. ;)
>>
>> -David
>
> In France a such thing existed. It's called CSG (Contribution
> Sociale Généralisée or in english something like Social Generalized
> Contribution). Actually only a part of CSG was really tax on
> tax.This normally has been corrected but I'm not totaly sure... I can
> see many other cases where such thing actually exists, they are
> peculiar cases but they exist. It seems also that at least it exists
> in Canada.
>
> That does not mean that I need it...

Re: tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

David E Jones-2

This would be a good thing to use the TaxAuthorityAssoc for, and with
a new TaxAuthorityAssocType that would represent that the local tax
should include the associated tax authority's tax in the taxable amount.

Does that sound about like what you're looking for?

-David

On Aug 25, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> It is very much a nasty practice, but it does seem like there are
> countries that practice it: a regional tax on top of a national or
> federal tax.  As long as all products would require both national
> and federal tax, I think we're OK - we can just put in a regional
> tax at a higher rate.  If we run into a situation where some
> products are charged a federal tax and some not, all are charged a
> regional tax, and the regional tax is a tax-on-tax, then we'd need
> to model the tax-on-tax.  :)
>
> Si

>>> Yeah, that sounds right. In other words: no, there is not support
>>> right now for charging tax on tax.
>>
>>> Is this a requirement you've run into somewhere? Sounds a bit
>>> nasty... from a business perspective and a technical perspective. ;)
>>>
>>> -David
>>
>> In France a such thing existed. It's called CSG (Contribution
>> Sociale Généralisée or in english something like Social Generalized
>> Contribution). Actually only a part of CSG was really tax on
>> tax.This normally has been corrected but I'm not totaly sure... I can
>> see many other cases where such thing actually exists, they are
>> peculiar cases but they exist. It seems also that at least it exists
>> in Canada.
>>
>> That does not mean that I need it...
>>
>> Jacques

Re: tax on tax and the TaxAuthorityRateProduct.titleTransfer field

Si Chen-2
David,

Yes, that sounds like a good idea if we ever had to implement that.
It does not seem like we need to at this stage--just using a higher
regional tax rate seems to work OK.

Si