theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

Si Chen-2
Is there any theoretical limit on entityoperator.in -- ie, how large
a list it can take?  I'm thinking of re-factoring the
ViewFacilityInventory report in facility to use this instead of
joining on productcategorymember so that it can be used to pull
variants of virtual products as well, but sometimes there could be a
lot of variants and a pretty large list -- a few hundred products, etc.

Si

Re: theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

David E Jones-2

For most things like this a on the order of hundreds it's not a big
deal. For thousands you might run into a problem, but it depends on
the database. For much above that I'd say using a join in the
database and letting it handle it would be far more efficient, even
though less flexible and such.

-David

On Aug 29, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> Is there any theoretical limit on entityoperator.in -- ie, how
> large a list it can take?  I'm thinking of re-factoring the
> ViewFacilityInventory report in facility to use this instead of
> joining on productcategorymember so that it can be used to pull
> variants of virtual products as well, but sometimes there could be
> a lot of variants and a pretty large list -- a few hundred
> products, etc.
>
> Si

Re: theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

davidnwelton
I don't know the code in question, so I'm sorry if I'm talking at
cross purposes, but someone might well have hundreds or thousands of
different products in their warehouse.  We do.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

Si Chen-2
The issue is not how many products in the warehouse but how many
products in a category.  See my original post.

Si

On Aug 30, 2006, at 1:58 AM, David Welton wrote:

> I don't know the code in question, so I'm sorry if I'm talking at
> cross purposes, but someone might well have hundreds or thousands of
> different products in their warehouse.  We do.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: theoretical limits on entityoperator.in?

davidnwelton
> The issue is not how many products in the warehouse but how many
> products in a category.  See my original post.

That might be thousands, as well:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_7/104-7896541-4999151?ie=UTF8&node=2581

Showing 1 - 12 of 198873 Results

Admittedly, that's Amazon, but still, even two orders of magnitude
smaller is 2000 products.  Most of the subcategories are in the
thousands.

Once again, though, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree for wont of
knowledge of the code you're discussing!