updateFacilityContactMech question

Krzysztof Podejma
Hello,
I'm not sure if it is part of design or bug, maybe someone could explain
service updateFaclityContactMech creates new value and "stores" old with
thruDate field,
so after every update we have two values in db.
this could be ok for change history reason, but it seems to me that old data
is only available in WebTools(not available for normal user?).
so if normal user make a mistake while creating for ex. email and have to
correct this, db will store one useless record per mistake
I have 213 useless records after one week . I think this apply to whole
ContactMech.

Krzysztof Podejma

Re: updateFacilityContactMech question

David E Jones-2

This is intentional and part of the design of the data model and
supporting services, user interfaces, and so on.

There are various reasons for this, the top being:

1. ContactMechs are generally used far more than they are maintained
2. having immutable ContactMechs means we don't have to copy them for
every order, invoice, communication event, etc, etc
3. it naturally keeps a history of ContactMechs and changes to them

-David

On Nov 20, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Krzysztof Podejma wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm not sure if it is part of design or bug, maybe someone could
> explain
> service updateFaclityContactMech creates new value and "stores" old
> with
> thruDate field,
> so after every update we have two values in db.
> this could be ok for change history reason, but it seems to me that
> old data
> is only available in WebTools(not available for normal user?).
> so if normal user make a mistake while creating for ex. email and
> have to
> correct this, db will store one useless record per mistake
> I have 213 useless records after one week . I think this apply to
> whole
> ContactMech.
>
> Krzysztof Podejma

Re: updateFacilityContactMech question