user interface proposals

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody -

A couple of suggestions to improve user interface a bit:

1.  Default fromDate on forms to the current date-time.

2.  Agree on a notation for required fields on a form.  Should the
labels be in red (my preference), or should there be a * after the
field?

3.  Modify the form-widget so that in case of auto-fields-service,
required fields of service are highlighted according to (2).  In case
of auto-fields-entity, primary key fields are highlighted according
to (2).  Manually created forms will have to be manually edited...

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Si

Re: user interface proposals

cjhowe
2. should be specified by a css class that is set in
the <form/> tag.  the form widget should write this as
the cascading effect and remains generic

From: "Si Chen" <[hidden email]>
> Hi everybody -
>
> A couple of suggestions to improve user interface a bit:
>
> 1.  Default fromDate on forms to the current date-time.

+10 (ha non, bon +1 ;o). But I remember David saying that it's not possible everywhere, am I wrong ?

> 2.  Agree on a notation for required fields on a form.  Should the
> labels be in red (my preference), or should there be a * after the
> field?

Both as it's rather std to see an * and that we will not have to suppress already existing *.

> 3.  Modify the form-widget so that in case of auto-fields-service,
> required fields of service are highlighted according to (2).  In case
> of auto-fields-entity, primary key fields are highlighted according
> to (2).  Manually created forms will have to be manually edited...

Very good ideas

> Any thoughts?

Too tired, sorry. But I guess this topic will have some...

Jacques

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: user interface proposals

Adrian Crum
Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> A couple of suggestions to improve user interface a bit:
>
> 1.  Default fromDate on forms to the current date-time.
>
> 2.  Agree on a notation for required fields on a form.  Should the
> labels be in red (my preference), or should there be a * after the  field?

Definitely use an asterisk. Red text might conflict with an alternate style sheet.

Re: user interface proposals

Iain Fogg
Si Chen wrote:
> Hi everybody -
>
> A couple of suggestions to improve user interface a bit:
>
> 1.  Default fromDate on forms to the current date-time.
If it is mandatory.

> 2.  Agree on a notation for required fields on a form.  Should the
> labels be in red (my preference), or should there be a * after the field?
Seems reasonable to me

> 3.  Modify the form-widget so that in case of auto-fields-service,
> required fields of service are highlighted according to (2).  In case
> of auto-fields-entity, primary key fields are highlighted according to
> (2).  Manually created forms will have to be manually edited...
Yes

> Any thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: user interface proposals

Scott Gray
Si Chen wrote:
> Hi everybody -
>
> A couple of suggestions to improve user interface a bit:
>
> 1.  Default fromDate on forms to the current date-time.
How about adding an attribute like default-now="true", so that it can be
used where appropriate?

Regards
Scott

Re: user interface proposals

Jean-Sébastien HEDERER

I agree with Scott

How can we add an * (for me it's the most easy to understand way for
mandatory inputs) with CSS?

Re: user interface proposals

cjhowe
.formReqClass:after{
content:"*";
}

Is ":after" W3C CSS compliant?

Re: user interface proposals

cjhowe
Yes, it is part of the CSS 2 specification.  However,
I don't believe IE (even IE7) supports it.

--- Jean-Sébastien Hederer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Chris Howe" a écrit le 25/11/2006 11:11 :
> > .formReqClass:after{
> > content:"*";
> > }
> >
> Is ":after" W3C CSS compliant?

RE: user interface proposals

David Garrett
There are problems with ie5/6 having multiple classes such as <td
class="fieldClass formReqClass">

Refer to the following
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/multipleclasses.html

Wrt :after ... It does not work in ie 5/6/7 nor Explorer 5.2 Mac
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/beforeafter.html

My suggestion would be to use standard element styling for eg the <input
.../> With a class if required. The '*' or whatever can be placed with CSS
using a background-image
 ie don't have fieldClass use the default form input  styling eg...

form input { ..... }
form input.required { ..... }

Maybe allow for an alternate style eg

form input.alt { .... }
form input.alt-required { .... }

Maybe also
.required { ... }
.alt-required { ... }

Further to this approach, in my view the style .tabletext, which is used
extensively, should actually be removed.
Ie it should probably be replaced by default stlyes for the elements td,
div, p and maybe body

David