using request-redirect instead of view on success of service/servlet calls in controller

using request-redirect instead of view on success of service/servlet calls in controller

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody -

I've noticed that a lot of times, hitting a [Refresh] on the browser
will cause a service or event call to be sent again.  I think we
should as a standard practice use "request-redirect" after calling
services, instead of just view, like this:
         <response name="success" type="request-redirect"
value="orderview"/>

Does this sound like a good idea?

Si

Re: using request-redirect instead of view on success of service/servlet calls in controller

David E Jones-2

This can be a very good way to go, but it seems like I have found
certain unpleasant side-effects. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it,
in fact I think it would be great to start using this in more places
and it would improve the usability of many of the screens, or screen
sets.

I don't remember exactly what sorts of problems I ran into before,
but I do remember that in some cases some screens or forms required a
few changes in order to flow smoothly from a user perspective.

Oh, one thing that you do have to watch out for is the parameter
forwarding so that the view (output generation) gets the information
it needs even though it is not in the same request as the request
event (input processing). This can be a problem with sequenced IDs
that are put in request attributes, and so on. There are ways around
this of course, but it's something that often needs to be handled
specially as pages are changed to work this way.

-David