About creating new GenericValue with ModelEntity

About creating new GenericValue with ModelEntity

Kiran Khatavkar

Hi

I want to create a GenericValue using ModelEntity (not a entity defined
in EntityModel.xml)

I am using
ModelEntity me = new ModelEntity();

me.addField(new ModelField("abc","String","abc",false));
me.addField(new ModelField("def","String","def",false));
GenericValue gv = GenericValue.create(me);

Is this thing possible?

If it is then
When I use gv.setString("abc","AAAA");
It is failing

Can anybdy help?

Kiran

Tech Mahindra, formerly Mahindra-British Telecom.

Disclaimer:

Re: About creating new GenericValue with ModelEntity

David E Jones-2

It is possible to use the objects in this way, but not easy, and they
really aren't meant for it. There is a lot more to take care of than
what you mentioned here. To name a couple of them: registering the
new ModelEntity with the GenericDelegator, and of course taking care
of the physical table in the database that corresponds with it...

So, what is it that you are trying to do with this anyway?

Perhaps what you are really looking for is a DynamicViewEntity? You
might want to check out the advanced framework package from Undersun
to explain for of these and how they are applied.

-David

On Aug 4, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Kiran Khatavkar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to create a GenericValue using ModelEntity (not a entity
> defined
> in EntityModel.xml)
>
> I am using
> ModelEntity me = new ModelEntity();
>
> me.addField(new ModelField("abc","String","abc",false));
> me.addField(new ModelField("def","String","def",false));
> GenericValue gv = GenericValue.create(me);
>
> Is this thing possible?
>
> If it is then
> When I use gv.setString("abc","AAAA");
> It is failing
>
> Can anybdy help?
>
> Kiran

> Tech Mahindra, formerly Mahindra-British Telecom.
>
> Disclaimer:
>
> This message and the information contained herein is proprietary
> and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement,
> you may review at <a href="http://www.techmahindra.com/
> Disclaimer.html">http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html</a>
> externally and <a href="http://tim.techmahindra.com/
> Disclaimer.html">http://tim.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html</a>
> internally within Tech Mahindra.

RE: About creating new GenericValue with ModelEntity

Kiran Khatavkar

Thanks David for reply

What I actually need is : I have a bunch of data (NO PHYSICAL TABLE) and
I want to put it in a GenericValue Object.
Is that possible with what I was trying or DynamicViewEntity is better
option. Even for creating DynamicViewEntity if we require a table then I
do not have that.

Is there any other option?

Thanks
Kiran

It is possible to use the objects in this way, but not easy, and they
really aren't meant for it. There is a lot more to take care of than
what you mentioned here. To name a couple of them: registering the new
ModelEntity with the GenericDelegator, and of course taking care of the
physical table in the database that corresponds with it...

So, what is it that you are trying to do with this anyway?

Perhaps what you are really looking for is a DynamicViewEntity? You
might want to check out the advanced framework package from Undersun to
explain for of these and how they are applied.

-David

On Aug 4, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Kiran Khatavkar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to create a GenericValue using ModelEntity (not a entity
> defined in EntityModel.xml)
>
> I am using
> ModelEntity me = new ModelEntity();
>
> me.addField(new ModelField("abc","String","abc",false));
> me.addField(new ModelField("def","String","def",false));
> GenericValue gv = GenericValue.create(me);
>
> Is this thing possible?
>
> If it is then
> When I use gv.setString("abc","AAAA"); It is failing
>
> Can anybdy help?
>
> Kiran

> Tech Mahindra, formerly Mahindra-British Telecom.
>
> Disclaimer:

> confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement, you
> may review at <a href="http://www.techmahindra.com/
> Disclaimer.html">http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html</a>
> externally and <a href="http://tim.techmahindra.com/
> Disclaimer.html">http://tim.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html</a>
> internally within Tech Mahindra.

Tech Mahindra, formerly Mahindra-British Telecom.

Disclaimer:

Re: About creating new GenericValue with ModelEntity

David E Jones-2

Why do you want to put it in a GenericValue object?

I guess I'm not following you there...

-David