Accounting & Financials

Scott.
Hi Guys,

I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense and that are more complete. I would like to see them based loosely on QuickBooks especially the reports and banking type functions like bank reconciliation.

With that in mind, would anyone be interested in some sort of collaboration? Would anyone be interested in a community project or even contributing with our cash to have some of the more seasoned members put something together?

Anyone interested? Thanks in advance.

Re: Accounting & Financials

Adrian Crum
Scott,

There was some talk at the last developers conference about building out the accounting component
some more. Perhaps you should post this message to the dev mailing list too.

-Adrian

Scott A wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense and that
> are more complete. I would like to see them based loosely on QuickBooks
> especially the reports and banking type functions like bank reconciliation.
>
> With that in mind, would anyone be interested in some sort of collaboration?
> Would anyone be interested in a community project or even contributing with
> our cash to have some of the more seasoned members put something together?
>
> Anyone interested? Thanks in advance.

Re: Accounting & Financials

David E Jones

This is one of those things that has been on the want list for OFBiz for a really long time now, on the order of 5 years or so.

This is also a big objective for us at Hotwax Media (www.hotwaxmedia.com), and we have it on our short list of things to invest in and pursue contracts for. We think it is important for OFBiz and to our company in order to more easily land ERP contracts. There are 2 ways I see us getting involved, hopefully in the very near future:

1. land a contract involving this functionality either on its own or as part of a larger ERP gig

2. find ourselves with extra people who can work on it; note that this is 2nd on our list of things we'd like to work on, right after the project/work management functionality that is becoming more critical to our operations

Option #2 isn't actually too crazy, we've already had people spend time looking at this and planning for it, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) all of our people are busy on contracts right now.

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Scott,
>
> There was some talk at the last developers conference about building out
> the accounting component some more. Perhaps you should post this message
> to the dev mailing list too.
>
> -Adrian
>

> Scott A wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense and
>> that
>> are more complete. I would like to see them based loosely on QuickBooks
>> especially the reports and banking type functions like bank
>> reconciliation.
>> With that in mind, would anyone be interested in some sort of
>> collaboration?
>> Would anyone be interested in a community project or even contributing
>> with
>> our cash to have some of the more seasoned members put something
>> together?
>>
>> Anyone interested? Thanks in advance.

Re: Accounting & Financials

BJ Freeman
what happened to the financial that si was doing and based on the money
contributions?

David E Jones sent the following on 7/17/2007 1:00 PM:

> This is one of those things that has been on the want list for OFBiz for
> a really long time now, on the order of 5 years or so.
>
> This is also a big objective for us at Hotwax Media
> (www.hotwaxmedia.com), and we have it on our short list of things to
> invest in and pursue contracts for. We think it is important for OFBiz
> and to our company in order to more easily land ERP contracts. There are
> 2 ways I see us getting involved, hopefully in the very near future:
>
> 1. land a contract involving this functionality either on its own or as
> part of a larger ERP gig
>
> 2. find ourselves with extra people who can work on it; note that this
> is 2nd on our list of things we'd like to work on, right after the
> project/work management functionality that is becoming more critical to
> our operations
>
> Option #2 isn't actually too crazy, we've already had people spend time
> looking at this and planning for it, but unfortunately (or fortunately?)
> all of our people are busy on contracts right now.
>
> -David
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> There was some talk at the last developers conference about building
>> out the accounting component some more. Perhaps you should post this
>> message to the dev mailing list too.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Scott A wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense
>>> and that
>>> are more complete. I would like to see them based loosely on QuickBooks
>>> especially the reports and banking type functions like bank
>>> reconciliation.
>>> With that in mind, would anyone be interested in some sort of
>>> collaboration?
>>> Would anyone be interested in a community project or even
>>> contributing with
>>> our cash to have some of the more seasoned members put something
>>> together?
>>>
>>> Anyone interested? Thanks in advance.

Re: Accounting & Financials

jonwimp
 > Option #2 isn't actually too crazy, we've already had people spend time
 > looking at this and planning for it, but unfortunately (or fortunately?)
 > all of our people are busy on contracts right now.

Definitely fortunately, rather than unfortunately. I subscribe to strict adherence and absolute
alignment to market requirements. If there's no one willing to pay for a feature, it probably
isn't really needed.

Many of my projects have special requirements even for accounting side of things, anyway. Seems
like accounting is a necessary behind-the-scenes functionality that many people don't want to
renovate and beautify very much.

Jonathon

David E Jones wrote:

> This is one of those things that has been on the want list for OFBiz for
> a really long time now, on the order of 5 years or so.
>
> This is also a big objective for us at Hotwax Media
> (www.hotwaxmedia.com), and we have it on our short list of things to
> invest in and pursue contracts for. We think it is important for OFBiz
> and to our company in order to more easily land ERP contracts. There are
> 2 ways I see us getting involved, hopefully in the very near future:
>
> 1. land a contract involving this functionality either on its own or as
> part of a larger ERP gig
>
> 2. find ourselves with extra people who can work on it; note that this
> is 2nd on our list of things we'd like to work on, right after the
> project/work management functionality that is becoming more critical to
> our operations
>
> Option #2 isn't actually too crazy, we've already had people spend time
> looking at this and planning for it, but unfortunately (or fortunately?)
> all of our people are busy on contracts right now.
>
> -David
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> There was some talk at the last developers conference about building
>> out the accounting component some more. Perhaps you should post this
>> message to the dev mailing list too.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Scott A wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense
>>> and that
>>> are more complete. I would like to see them based loosely on QuickBooks
>>> especially the reports and banking type functions like bank
>>> reconciliation.
>>> With that in mind, would anyone be interested in some sort of
>>> collaboration?
>>> Would anyone be interested in a community project or even
>>> contributing with
>>> our cash to have some of the more seasoned members put something
>>> together?
>>>
>>> Anyone interested? Thanks in advance.

Re: Accounting & Financials

Walter Vaughan
Scott A wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I would like to see accounting and financials that make more sense and that
> are more complete.

Have you looked at Opentaps?
http://www.opentaps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=73

--