Accounts Payable and Suppliers

Rees Watkins
Hi

When I receive and enter an invoice from a supplier the system posts to Accounts Payable. I would like to have an Account for each supplier to show the total owed to them
Do I use Party Financial Accounts to do this? If so how do I post to the Supplier Account?

Thank you
Rees

Not happy with your email address?.

Re: Accounts Payable and Suppliers

Jacopo Cappellato-3
You should use this screen to configure the specific accounttype/
account mapping for your suppliers:

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/editPartyGlAccounts?organizationPartyId=Company

Jacopo

On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I receive and enter an invoice from a supplier the system posts
> to Accounts Payable. I would like to have an Account for each
> supplier to show the total owed to them
> Do I use Party Financial Accounts to do this? If so how do I post to
> the Supplier Account?
>
> Thank you
> Rees
>

>      __________________________________________________________
> Not happy with your email address?.
> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses
> available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html

Re: Accounts Payable and Suppliers

Rees Watkins
Hi Jacopo

There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get this to work.

In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts

PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
Role Type ID              :Supplier
Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE

If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company

I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction to DemoSupplier show.
Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.

Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.

Thanks
Rees

On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you
> please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get
> this to work.
>
> In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
You just have to change the last field "GL Account ID" to match the
account to which you want to post the transaction for the accounts
payable of supplier DemoSupplier.

It should work,

Jacopo

> If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company
>
> I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to
> Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
> I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction
> to DemoSupplier show.
> Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.
>
> Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.
>
> Thanks
> Rees

Your help is very much appreciated. I have been battling with this for days.

What I currently see if a purchase invoice is entered:

Inventory
Debit : Credit
100   :

Accounts Payable
Debit : Credit

: 100

In addition I would like to see

Supplier XYZ
Debit : Credit

: 100

How do I setup the ledger entry for Supplier XYZ?
How do I get the accounts to make the entry?

Regards
Rees

On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you
> please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get
> this to work.
>
> In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE

You just have to change the last field "GL Account ID" to match the
account to which you want to post the transaction for the accounts
payable of supplier DemoSupplier.

It should work,

Jacopo

> If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company
>
> I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to
> Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
> I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction
> to DemoSupplier show.
> Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.
>
> Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.
>
> Thanks
> Rees

brijesh m
I have also tried this transaction on demo server from the customer perspective but the entries are not reflecting to the appropriate GL accounts.

Thanks
Brijesh M.

Rees Watkins <[hidden email]> wrote: Hi Jacopo

Your help is very much appreciated. I have been battling with this for days.

What I currently see if a purchase invoice is entered:

Inventory
Debit : Credit
100   :

Accounts Payable
Debit : Credit

: 100

In addition I would like to see

Supplier XYZ
Debit : Credit

: 100

How do I setup the ledger entry for Supplier XYZ?
How do I get the accounts to make the entry?

Regards
Rees

On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you
> please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get
> this to work.
>
> In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE

You just have to change the last field "GL Account ID" to match the
account to which you want to post the transaction for the accounts
payable of supplier DemoSupplier.

It should work,

Jacopo

> If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company
>
> I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to
> Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
> I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction
> to DemoSupplier show.
> Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.
>
> Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.
>
> Thanks
> Rees

bump this up relative to the sub ledger discussion.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 7/30/2008 4:40 AM:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo
>>
>> There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you
>> please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get this
>> to work.
>>
>> In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>>
>> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
>> Role Type ID              :Supplier
>> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
>> GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
>
> You just have to change the last field "GL Account ID" to match the
> account to which you want to post the transaction for the accounts
> payable of supplier DemoSupplier.
>
> It should work,
>
> Jacopo
>

>> If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company
>>
>> I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to
>> Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>> I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction
>> to DemoSupplier show.
>> Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.
>>
>> Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rees

I appreciate everyones help and have read everything I can find on this topic including all discussions on this group.

I added a entry in the chart of accounts: Accounts Payable - DemoSupplier as a child of Accounts Payable.
I made the association shown below in Jacopo's mail.

Raised a purchase order from DemoSupplier to Company. There are no entries in the sub ledger for Accounts Payable - Demosupplier.

Has anyone else tried this and found it to create an entry in the sub ledger?

bump this up relative to the sub ledger discussion.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 7/30/2008 4:40 AM:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo
>>
>> There are no documents or examples on how this is used. Could you
>> please give me some pointers because I have not been able to get this
>> to work.
>>
>> In Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>>
>> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
>> Role Type ID              :Supplier
>> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
>> GL Account ID          : 210000 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
>
> You just have to change the last field "GL Account ID" to match the
> account to which you want to post the transaction for the accounts
> payable of supplier DemoSupplier.
>
> It should work,
>
> Jacopo
>

>> If I raise an purchase invoice from DemoSupplier to Company
>>
>> I do not see any change in my accounts as a result of changes to
>> Accounting->General Ledger->SetUp->Party Gl Accounts
>> I see no entries to DemoSupplier.Where should I see this transaction
>> to DemoSupplier show.
>> Nothing under party, no changes to trial balance etc.
>>
>> Have I done this correctly? Am I looking in te wrong please.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rees

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger..yahoo.com

Re: Accounts Payable and Suppliers

BJ Freeman
What entry did you add to the chart of accounts?
which GL account did you set the DemoSupplier to?

Rees Watkins sent the following on 8/13/2008 4:39 AM:

> I appreciate everyones help and have read everything I can find on this topic including all discussions on this group.
>
> I added a entry in the chart of accounts: Accounts Payable - DemoSupplier as a child of Accounts Payable.
> I made the association shown below in Jacopo's mail.
>
> Raised a purchase order from DemoSupplier to Company. There are no entries in the sub ledger for Accounts Payable - Demosupplier.
>
> Has anyone else tried this and found it to create an entry in the sub ledger?

yeah, it has been tested, but since the code there is pretty young and
changes pretty quickly (or at least, this is what happened a few time
ago) it is possible that something has been broken.
If you could setup an example in the demo server I will have a look at
it.
The demo server is here:

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/main

Kind regards,

Jacopo

On Aug 13, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> I appreciate everyones help and have read everything I can find on
> this topic including all discussions on this group.
>
> I added a entry in the chart of accounts: Accounts Payable -
> DemoSupplier as a child of Accounts Payable.
> I made the association shown below in Jacopo's mail.
>
> Raised a purchase order from DemoSupplier to Company. There are no
> entries in the sub ledger for Accounts Payable - Demosupplier.
>
> Has anyone else tried this and found it to create an entry in the
> sub ledger?

you should see you invoice created by the PO
here
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ap/control/findInvoices
or here if it is paid
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ap/control/findPayments
click on
Find Purchase Invoices By Due Date
if you don't find it, then it will not be in the GL
since you need to pay before it goes to the transaction Journal
then the the transaction Journal will put it in the GL

Remember you must have a credit and a debit to balance the transaction
Journal to zero. Only then will the transaction be recorded in the GL.

Rees Watkins sent the following on 8/13/2008 4:39 AM:

> I appreciate everyones help and have read everything I can find on this topic including all discussions on this group.
>
> I added a entry in the chart of accounts: Accounts Payable - DemoSupplier as a child of Accounts Payable.
> I made the association shown below in Jacopo's mail.
>
> Raised a purchase order from DemoSupplier to Company. There are no entries in the sub ledger for Accounts Payable - Demosupplier.
>
> Has anyone else tried this and found it to create an entry in the sub ledger?

Fantastic - thanks

Setting up DemoSupplier Accounts Payable Sub ledger on
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/ListGlAccountOrganization?organizationPartyId=Company

Create an entry in the Global Chart of Accounts: 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
I did this by going to Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts->Navigate Accounts   - created entry and hit update.
Possible issue: My new account appears in Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts->Navigate Accounts. But if I go to the Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts it is not there

Created Assignment in General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company).
Added to General ledger->Setup->GL Account Defaults->Party GL Accounts.
PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
Role Type ID              :Supplier
Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
GL Account ID          : 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier

Raise a purchase invoice 10001 (ignore 10000 as I messed that one up) from DemoSupplier to Company.
Marked invoice as Approved.
I posted the invoice to the accounts - Set Status to Ready

You can see the accounting entires on the invoice.
ACCOUNTS payable has a Credit of $100
Purchase Order Adjustments has a debit of $ 100
I have not raised a payment to assign to the invoice - as posting to accounts is enough to raise entries to show my issue.

Tried again with amount of $77 and purchase invoice type of  Invoice Finished/Digital

Looking at General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company). there are no entries for ledger 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
There is an entrie in 210000 Accounts payable.
Trial balance shows no entires.

Any points would be very helpful.

Kind regards
Rees

yeah, it has been tested, but since the code there is pretty young and
changes pretty quickly (or at least, this is what happened a few time
ago) it is possible that something has been broken.
If you could setup an example in the demo server I will have a look at
it.
The demo server is here:

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/main

Kind regards,

Jacopo

On Aug 13, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> I appreciate everyones help and have read everything I can find on
> this topic including all discussions on this group.
>
> I added a entry in the chart of accounts: Accounts Payable -
> DemoSupplier as a child of Accounts Payable.
> I made the association shown below in Jacopo's mail.
>
> Raised a purchase order from DemoSupplier to Company. There are no
> entries in the sub ledger for Accounts Payable - Demosupplier.
>
> Has anyone else tried this and found it to create an entry in the
> sub ledger?

Hi Rees,

I see all the setup you did on the demo server (which seem all good to
me) but I don't see the purchase order: there were no po on the demo
server so I have created one: and yes, I could recreate the issue.
I will quickly look at it tomorrow and I will let you know when it is
fixed.

Jacopo

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Fantastic - thanks
>
> Setting up DemoSupplier Accounts Payable Sub ledger on
> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/ListGlAccountOrganization?organizationPartyId=Company
>
> Create an entry in the Global Chart of Accounts: 210500
> ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> I did this by going to Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts-
> >Navigate Accounts   - created entry and hit update.
> Possible issue: My new account appears in Global GL Settings->Chart
> Of Accounts->Navigate Accounts. But if I go to the Global GL
> Settings->Chart Of Accounts it is not there
>
> Created Assignment in General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for
> Company).
> Added to General ledger->Setup->GL Account Defaults->Party GL
> Accounts.
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>
> Raise a purchase invoice 10001 (ignore 10000 as I messed that one
> up) from DemoSupplier to Company.
> Marked invoice as Approved.
> I posted the invoice to the accounts - Set Status to Ready
>
> You can see the accounting entires on the invoice.
> ACCOUNTS payable has a Credit of $100
> Purchase Order Adjustments has a debit of $ 100
> I have not raised a payment to assign to the invoice - as posting to
> accounts is enough to raise entries to show my issue.
>
> Tried again with amount of $77 and purchase invoice type of  Invoice
> Finished/Digital
>
> Looking at General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company).
> there are no entries for ledger 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> There is an entrie in 210000 Accounts payable.
> Trial balance shows no entires.
>
> Any points would be very helpful.
>
> Kind regards
> Rees

Rees,

I finally had another look at the setup; the problem was the
roleTypeId associated to the supplier in the PartyGL mapping screen:
it was required "bill from vendor" instead of "supplier":

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/editPartyGlAccounts?organizationPartyId=Company

I changed it and I was able to post the transaction (see invoice
10001) in the proper account.

Hope this helps you,

Jacopo

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Fantastic - thanks
>
> Setting up DemoSupplier Accounts Payable Sub ledger on
> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/ListGlAccountOrganization?organizationPartyId=Company
>
> Create an entry in the Global Chart of Accounts: 210500
> ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> I did this by going to Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts-
> >Navigate Accounts   - created entry and hit update.
> Possible issue: My new account appears in Global GL Settings->Chart
> Of Accounts->Navigate Accounts. But if I go to the Global GL
> Settings->Chart Of Accounts it is not there
>
> Created Assignment in General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for
> Company).
> Added to General ledger->Setup->GL Account Defaults->Party GL
> Accounts.
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>
> Raise a purchase invoice 10001 (ignore 10000 as I messed that one
> up) from DemoSupplier to Company.
> Marked invoice as Approved.
> I posted the invoice to the accounts - Set Status to Ready
>
> You can see the accounting entires on the invoice.
> ACCOUNTS payable has a Credit of $100
> Purchase Order Adjustments has a debit of $ 100
> I have not raised a payment to assign to the invoice - as posting to
> accounts is enough to raise entries to show my issue.
>
> Tried again with amount of $77 and purchase invoice type of  Invoice
> Finished/Digital
>
> Looking at General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company).
> there are no entries for ledger 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> There is an entrie in 210000 Accounts payable.
> Trial balance shows no entires.
>
> Any points would be very helpful.
>
> Kind regards
> Rees

You are A grade - thank you very much!

Sub ledgers in OFBiz!!!!

I finally had another look at the setup; the problem was the
roleTypeId associated to the supplier in the PartyGL mapping screen:
it was required "bill from vendor" instead of "supplier":

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/editPartyGlAccounts?organizationPartyId=Company

I changed it and I was able to post the transaction (see invoice
10001) in the proper account.

Hope this helps you,

Jacopo

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:

> Fantastic - thanks
>
> Setting up DemoSupplier Accounts Payable Sub ledger on
> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/ListGlAccountOrganization?organizationPartyId=Company
>
> Create an entry in the Global Chart of Accounts: 210500
> ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> I did this by going to Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts-
> >Navigate Accounts   - created entry and hit update.
> Possible issue: My new account appears in Global GL Settings->Chart
> Of Accounts->Navigate Accounts. But if I go to the Global GL
> Settings->Chart Of Accounts it is not there
>
> Created Assignment in General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for
> Company).
> Added to General ledger->Setup->GL Account Defaults->Party GL
> Accounts.
> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
> Role Type ID              :Supplier
> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
> GL Account ID          : 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>
> Raise a purchase invoice 10001 (ignore 10000 as I messed that one
> up) from DemoSupplier to Company.
> Marked invoice as Approved.
> I posted the invoice to the accounts - Set Status to Ready
>
> You can see the accounting entires on the invoice.
> ACCOUNTS payable has a Credit of $100
> Purchase Order Adjustments has a debit of $ 100
> I have not raised a payment to assign to the invoice - as posting to
> accounts is enough to raise entries to show my issue.
>
> Tried again with amount of $77 and purchase invoice type of  Invoice
> Finished/Digital
>
> Looking at General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company).
> there are no entries for ledger 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
> There is an entrie in 210000 Accounts payable.
> Trial balance shows no entires.
>
> Any points would be very helpful.
>
> Kind regards
> Rees

there is
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ap/control/invoiceOverview?invoiceId=10004
it shows it was posted
yet there is nothing showing on
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/GlAccountNavigate?trail=null|200000|210000
210500 ACCOUNTS PAYABLE - DemoSupplier

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 8/13/2008 1:09 PM:

> Rees,
>
> I finally had another look at the setup; the problem was the roleTypeId
> associated to the supplier in the PartyGL mapping screen: it was
> required "bill from vendor" instead of "supplier":
>
> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/editPartyGlAccounts?organizationPartyId=Company
>

> I changed it and I was able to post the transaction (see invoice 10001)
> in the proper account.
>
> Hope this helps you,
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Rees Watkins wrote:
>
>> Fantastic - thanks
>>
>> Setting up DemoSupplier Accounts Payable Sub ledger on
>> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/accounting/control/ListGlAccountOrganization?organizationPartyId=Company
>>

>> Create an entry in the Global Chart of Accounts: 210500
>> ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>> I did this by going to Global GL Settings->Chart Of Accounts->Navigate
>> Accounts   - created entry and hit update.
>> Possible issue: My new account appears in Global GL Settings->Chart Of
>> Accounts->Navigate Accounts. But if I go to the Global GL
>> Settings->Chart Of Accounts it is not there
>>
>> Created Assignment in General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for
>> Company).
>> Added to General ledger->Setup->GL Account Defaults->Party GL Accounts.
>> PartyID                       :DemoSupplier
>> Role Type ID              :Supplier
>> Gl Account Type Id    :ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE
>> GL Account ID          : 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>>
>> Raise a purchase invoice 10001 (ignore 10000 as I messed that one up)
>> from DemoSupplier to Company.
>> Marked invoice as Approved.
>> I posted the invoice to the accounts - Set Status to Ready
>>
>> You can see the accounting entires on the invoice.
>> ACCOUNTS payable has a Credit of $100
>> Purchase Order Adjustments has a debit of $ 100
>> I have not raised a payment to assign to the invoice - as posting to
>> accounts is enough to raise entries to show my issue.
>>
>> Tried again with amount of $77 and purchase invoice type of  Invoice
>> Finished/Digital
>>
>> Looking at General ledger->Setup->Chart of Accounts (for Company).
>> there are no entries for ledger 210500 ACCOUNTS_PAYABLE - DemoSupplier
>> There is an entrie in 210000 Accounts payable.
>> Trial balance shows no entires.
>>
>> Any points would be very helpful.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Rees