Alternative component products in BOM

Guido Amarilla
I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
industries.
I give you the examples:
Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
Black Buttons.
1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
(but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)

Is this currently supported somehow?

Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
a list of features)

Guido Amarilla

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Guido,

virtual/variants approach is fine (you can also create one virtual bom
for the virtual product that is automatically configured for the
variants according to the features selected for the finished product)
but the decision must be taken during order entry or when you manually
create a production run.
If you just want to change one component because it is out of stock,
right now you'll have to do it manually in the production run screen
(before you approve it): but there is no logic to there to limit the
product ids that you can use (but it would be pretty easy, and a nice
feature for the project, to add the logic there).

Hope this helps,

Jacopo

Guido Amarilla wrote:

> I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
> products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
> industries.
> I give you the examples:
> Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
> Black Buttons.
> 1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
> (but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)
>
> Is this currently supported somehow?
>
> Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
> first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
> allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
> a list of features)

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

jonwimp
Jacopo,

What about "Manufacturing Rules"? I haven't tested this out after getting the tip from Scott Gray.
I thought it seemed like it's possible to have "substitute components".

Jonathon

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Guido,
>
> virtual/variants approach is fine (you can also create one virtual bom
> for the virtual product that is automatically configured for the
> variants according to the features selected for the finished product)
> but the decision must be taken during order entry or when you manually
> create a production run.
> If you just want to change one component because it is out of stock,
> right now you'll have to do it manually in the production run screen
> (before you approve it): but there is no logic to there to limit the
> product ids that you can use (but it would be pretty easy, and a nice
> feature for the project, to add the logic there).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jacopo
>

> Guido Amarilla wrote:
>> I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
>> products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
>> industries.
>> I give you the examples:
>> Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
>> Black Buttons.
>> 1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
>> (but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)
>>
>> Is this currently supported somehow?
>>
>> Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
>> first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
>> allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
>> a list of features)
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

Scott Gray
I don't have anything in front of me, but isn't there a product association
type of substitute or something similar?

Regards
Scott

On 09/02/07, Jonathon -- Improov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> What about "Manufacturing Rules"? I haven't tested this out after getting
> the tip from Scott Gray.
> I thought it seemed like it's possible to have "substitute components".
>
> Jonathon
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > Hi Guido,
> >
> > virtual/variants approach is fine (you can also create one virtual bom
> > for the virtual product that is automatically configured for the
> > variants according to the features selected for the finished product)
> > but the decision must be taken during order entry or when you manually
> > create a production run.
> > If you just want to change one component because it is out of stock,
> > right now you'll have to do it manually in the production run screen
> > (before you approve it): but there is no logic to there to limit the
> > product ids that you can use (but it would be pretty easy, and a nice
> > feature for the project, to add the logic there).
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Jacopo
> >

> > Guido Amarilla wrote:
> >> I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
> >> products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
> >> industries.
> >> I give you the examples:
> >> Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
> >> Black Buttons.
> >> 1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
> >> (but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)
> >>
> >> Is this currently supported somehow?
> >>
> >> Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
> >> first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
> >> allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
> >> a list of features)
> >>
> >> Thanks

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

jonwimp
Scott,

Yes, there is such a product assoc type. But I can't find any logics tied to that value
(PRODUCT_SUBSTITUTE). So Jacopo should be right that there's currently no automated way to
substitute out-of-stock components. We may sometimes need to substitute "red buttons" with "pink
buttons" when red ones run out.

Shout for me if anyone wants to start adding this functionality.

Jonathon

Scott Gray wrote:

> I don't have anything in front of me, but isn't there a product association
> type of substitute or something similar?
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 09/02/07, Jonathon -- Improov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> What about "Manufacturing Rules"? I haven't tested this out after getting
>> the tip from Scott Gray.
>> I thought it seemed like it's possible to have "substitute components".
>>
>> Jonathon
>>
>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> > Hi Guido,
>> >
>> > virtual/variants approach is fine (you can also create one virtual bom
>> > for the virtual product that is automatically configured for the
>> > variants according to the features selected for the finished product)
>> > but the decision must be taken during order entry or when you manually
>> > create a production run.
>> > If you just want to change one component because it is out of stock,
>> > right now you'll have to do it manually in the production run screen
>> > (before you approve it): but there is no logic to there to limit the
>> > product ids that you can use (but it would be pretty easy, and a nice
>> > feature for the project, to add the logic there).
>> >
>> > Hope this helps,
>> >
>> > Jacopo

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

Yes, it is possible with rules, but not on conditions based on qoh.

Jacopo

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> What about "Manufacturing Rules"? I haven't tested this out after
> getting the tip from Scott Gray. I thought it seemed like it's possible
> to have "substitute components".
>
> Jonathon
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> Hi Guido,
>>
>> virtual/variants approach is fine (you can also create one virtual bom
>> for the virtual product that is automatically configured for the
>> variants according to the features selected for the finished product)
>> but the decision must be taken during order entry or when you manually
>> create a production run.
>> If you just want to change one component because it is out of stock,
>> right now you'll have to do it manually in the production run screen
>> (before you approve it): but there is no logic to there to limit the
>> product ids that you can use (but it would be pretty easy, and a nice
>> feature for the project, to add the logic there).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

>> Guido Amarilla wrote:
>>> I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
>>> products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
>>> industries.
>>> I give you the examples:
>>> Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
>>> Black Buttons.
>>> 1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
>>> (but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)
>>>
>>> Is this currently supported somehow?
>>>
>>> Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
>>> first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
>>> allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
>>> a list of features)
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

Guido,

there is actually another solution for your problem: you could implement
a bom formula and associate it to the bom associations between the the
parent product and the (alternative) components.
Bom formulas can be used to return the quantity of components needed in
a bom and are run everytime a bom explosion is run (bom simulation,
production run creation, mrp etc...).
The idea is to set up a bom like this:

ParentProduct-->Black Push Button (the qty determined by the bom formula)
ParentProduct-->Red Push Button (the qty determined by the bom formula)

And the logic in the bom formula (you just need ONE bom formula) could
be something like this (to be refined):

* if the formula is associated to "Black Push Button", verify its qoh
and if >0 return 1
* if the formula is associated to "Red Push Button", verify the qoh of
the "Black Push Button" and if >0 return 0

There are two examples of bom formulas in the OFBiz demo, have a look at
them to see how they are implemented, declared etc...

Jacopo

Guido Amarilla wrote:

> I have some component products in BOM which can be replaced by other
> products. I have two situations but I think that may be more in other
> industries.
> I give you the examples:
> Black Push Button  ---> Red Push Button can be used if I run out of
> Black Buttons.
> 1 uF 35 Volt capacitor ---> 1 uF 35V, 1uF 50V and 1uF 63V can be used
> (but not 1uF 25V or less Voltage)
>
> Is this currently supported somehow?
>
> Can this be done by using Virtual Products with Features? (in the
> first case, by ignoring the feature "Color" or specifying a List of
> allowable features, and in the second case by specifying a "range" or
> a list of features)

Re: Alternative component products in BOM

Guido Amarilla
Thank you.
I like the idea of using PRODUCT_SUBSTITUTE. If it was meant for this
I will try to add some logic for this in MRP, production run, etc.
Since I am not selling OFBiz services and I am trying to understand it
by using it, I won´t have time to do this right now. I hope that some
time in the near future I could reach a level of understanding of this
great platform and start offering this in my country (Argentina).

--
Guido Amarilla