Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words. I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
Hi Bashir!

Unless someone else steps up, I would like to offer my (our) help with this.

Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties
> file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
> until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
> Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was
> that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words.
> I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown
> in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
> that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange
> characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
> Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Adrian Crum
Bashir,

Is Arabic a right-to-left language? If yes, then you can either modify the
existing style sheets to reverse the direction or you can leave the existing
style sheets alone and cascade a "right-to-left" style sheet that reverses the
direction.

I have done some experiments with reversing the direction in OFBiz. Let me know
if you need any help.

-Adrian

Bashir Alfetori wrote:

> I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties
> file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
> until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
> Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was
> that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words.
> I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown
> in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
> that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange
> characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
> Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Adrian

Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing style sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok when reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still left-to-right. Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.

Regards,
Bashir

Adrian Crum wrote

Bashir Alfetori wrote:
> I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties
> file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
> until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
> Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was
> that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words.
> I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown
> in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
> that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange
> characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
> Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
Bashir,

could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?

Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> Adrian
>
> Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing style
> sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok when
> reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about
> displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still left-to-right.
> Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.
>

> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>Bashir,
>>
>>Is Arabic a right-to-left language? If yes, then you can either modify the
>>existing style sheets to reverse the direction or you can leave the
>>existing
>>style sheets alone and cascade a "right-to-left" style sheet that reverses
>>the
>>direction.
>>
>>I have done some experiments with reversing the direction in OFBiz. Let me
>>know
>>if you need any help.
>>
>>-Adrian
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one
>>>properties
>>>file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
>>>until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result
>>>was
>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage
>>>words.
>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that
>>>shown
>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three
>>>strange
>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
>>>Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Adrian Crum
Bashir,

Some elements will not reverse direction because of embedded left-to-right
styling. There is an initiative underway to remove embedded styling from OFBiz,
so that problem will go away in time.

Feel free to create a Jira issue for the right-to-left display problems.

-Adrian

Bashir Alfetori wrote:

> Adrian
>
> Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing style
> sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok when
> reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about
> displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still left-to-right.
> Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.
>

> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>Bashir,
>>
>>Is Arabic a right-to-left language? If yes, then you can either modify the
>>existing style sheets to reverse the direction or you can leave the
>>existing
>>style sheets alone and cascade a "right-to-left" style sheet that reverses
>>the
>>direction.
>>
>>I have done some experiments with reversing the direction in OFBiz. Let me
>>know
>>if you need any help.
>>
>>-Adrian
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one
>>>properties
>>>file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
>>>until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result
>>>was
>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage
>>>words.
>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that
>>>shown
>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three
>>>strange
>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
>>>Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Torstan,

As an example the

Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية

The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)

Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> Adrian
>
> Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing style
> sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok when
> reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about
> displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still left-to-right.
> Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.
>

> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>Bashir,
>>
>>Is Arabic a right-to-left language? If yes, then you can either modify the
>>existing style sheets to reverse the direction or you can leave the
>>existing
>>style sheets alone and cascade a "right-to-left" style sheet that reverses
>>the
>>direction.
>>
>>I have done some experiments with reversing the direction in OFBiz. Let me
>>know
>>if you need any help.
>>
>>-Adrian
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one
>>>properties
>>>file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
>>>until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result
>>>was
>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage
>>>words.
>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that
>>>shown
>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three
>>>strange
>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
>>>Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Torstan,

As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the Create Agreement Screen.

The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8). if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.

Best regards,
Bashir

Bashir Alfetori wrote
Torstan,

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> Adrian
>
> Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing style
> sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok when
> reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about
> displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still left-to-right.
> Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.
>

> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>Bashir,
>>
>>Is Arabic a right-to-left language? If yes, then you can either modify the
>>existing style sheets to reverse the direction or you can leave the
>>existing
>>style sheets alone and cascade a "right-to-left" style sheet that reverses
>>the
>>direction.
>>
>>I have done some experiments with reversing the direction in OFBiz. Let me
>>know
>>if you need any help.
>>
>>-Adrian
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one
>>>properties
>>>file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file
>>>until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter
>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result
>>>was
>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage
>>>words.
>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that
>>>shown
>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems
>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three
>>>strange
>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display
>>>Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hello,

I already posted ana rabic translation for common and accounting they are not complete but they are quite full,
If you want to get it correctly you should use the Property bundle plugin that gets with eclipse, it 's the only way to get around.
I send you the arabic files I could do.
It's will be great if we work together to have a fully functional arabic version of Ofbiz.

Regards.
Amine.

http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG

The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8).
if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG

Best regards,
Bashir

Bashir Alfetori wrote:

> Torstan,
>
> Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
> ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية
>
> The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>>
>> Bashir,

>> could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Torsten
>>
>> Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> Yes, Arabic is right-to-left language. I have modified the existing
>>> style
>>> sheet to reverse the direction. I noticed that not every thing is ok
>>> when
>>> reversing direction especially in forms. Now, first I am concerned about
>>> displaying Arabic characters even if the direction is still
>>> left-to-right.
>>> Till now I couldn't do that as mentioned above.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Bashir

me

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
Hi Bashir!

Forget about Windows-1256. This is not what you want.

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer or Mozilla? Would you
bring trying the other one, as one step?

Here's what I'd check:

- Is the page delivered to the browser as HTML or XHTML? (You can check
using the "show page source" option in your browser.)
- In case it's XHTML and in case the browser is Internet Explorer, it's
not enough to have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, but you
should either add an HTML meta tag like this:

<head>
</head>

or make sure the corresponding HTTP header is sent.

I am not that familiar with OFBiz internals to tell you how to ake this
happen, but I am sure other people on the list would be able to help.

But in order to find out if this would solve your problem or now, just
do this:

Save the page to the harddisk.
Add that <meta ...> tag manuelly to the <head> section of your HTML.
Reload the saved page from your harddisk into the browser.

I found IE wanted that extra info while Mozilla doesn't.

Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> Torstan,
>
> As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the Create
> Agreement Screen.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>
> The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8).
> if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
>

> Best regards,
> Bashir
>

> Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>
>>Torstan,
>>
>>Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
>>ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية
>>
>>The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)
>>

>>Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>>
>>>Bashir,
>>>
>>>could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Torsten

> the

> reverses

> me

> enter

> seems

> display

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
 > I send you the arabic files I could do.

Can you post them to the list?

 > If you want to get it correctly you should use the Property bundle
 > plugin that gets with eclipse, it 's the only way to get around.

What do you mean exactly? I cannot see how an Eclipse plugin should
change something at OFBiz runtime?

Question to both of you:

Translating labels is one thing.
But did you already get your mind around all the other right-to-left /
bidirectional issues as well as transscription / transliteration issues?

Regards,
Torsten

Amine AZZI schrieb:

> [...]
>     then to
>     enter
>      >>>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser
>     the result
>      >>>>>was
>      >>>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of
>     garbage
>      >>>>>words.
>      >>>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic
>     like that
>      >>>>>shown
>      >>>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed.
>     Also it
>     seems
>      >>>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in
>     three
>      >>>>>strange
>      >>>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hi All,

Actually, you should see the chineese translation and have ideas, the
characters are written in utf-8 charcter set defined in java like this
\u0667214 for every character.
The only editor that can directly typed characters to this is the bundled
property editor eclipse plugin or the yudit editor when configured
correclty.

Regards.
Amine.

Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> <head>
> </head>
>
> or make sure the corresponding HTTP header is sent.
>
> I am not that familiar with OFBiz internals to tell you how to ake this
> happen, but I am sure other people on the list would be able to help.

The <head> HTML element can be found in the
framework/common/webcommon/includes/header.ftl template file.

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hi Torsten,

I already sent the files with the previous message.
The Eclipse plugin doesnt change anything in Ofbiz at runtime, it only helps get correct xxxUILabels files cause it transcript any unicode charcter to its asccii couterpart in java encoding.

Amine

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> Torstan,
>
> As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the Create
> Agreement Screen.
>
> The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8).
> if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
>

> Best regards,
> Bashir
>

> Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>
>>Torstan,
>>
>>Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
>>ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية
>>
>>The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)
>>

>>Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>>
>>>Bashir,
>>>
>>>could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Torsten

> the

> reverses

> me

> enter

> seems

> display

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hi Torsten,

Sorry, I didn't reply about the direction of the UI. Actually, my first
problem was to get arabic characters display correctly. The UI was second
interest.

Amine.

2007/2/22, Amine AZZI <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> I already sent the files with the previous message.
> The Eclipse plugin doesnt change anything in Ofbiz at runtime, it only
> helps get correct xxxUILabels files cause it transcript any unicode charcter
> to its asccii couterpart in java encoding.
>
> Amine
>
> 2007/2/22, Amine AZZI <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Actually, you should see the chineese translation and have ideas, the
> > characters are written in utf-8 charcter set defined in java like this
> > \u0667214 for every character.
> > The only editor that can directly typed characters to this is the
> > bundled property editor eclipse plugin or the yudit editor when configured
> > correclty.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Amine.
> >

> > 2007/2/22, Torsten Schlabach <[hidden email] >:
> > >
> > > Hi Bashir!
> > >
> > > Forget about Windows-1256. This is not what you want.
> > >
> > > What browser are you using? Internet Explorer or Mozilla? Would you
> > > bring trying the other one, as one step?
> > >
> > > Here's what I'd check:
> > >
> > > - Is the page delivered to the browser as HTML or XHTML? (You can
> > > check
> > > using the "show page source" option in your browser.)
> > > - In case it's XHTML and in case the browser is Internet Explorer,
> > > it's
> > > not enough to have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, but you
> > > should either add an HTML meta tag like this:
> > >
> > > <head>
> > > </head>
> > >
> > > or make sure the corresponding HTTP header is sent.
> > >
> > > I am not that familiar with OFBiz internals to tell you how to ake
> > > this
> > > happen, but I am sure other people on the list would be able to help.
> > >
> > > But in order to find out if this would solve your problem or now, just
> > > do this:
> > >
> > > Save the page to the harddisk.
> > > Add that <meta ...> tag manuelly to the <head> section of your HTML.
> > > Reload the saved page from your harddisk into the browser.
> > >
> > > I found IE wanted that extra info while Mozilla doesn't.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Torsten

> > > Create

> > > Unicode(UTF-8).
> > > obtained.

> > > existing
> > > ok
> > > about

> > > modify

> > > the

> > > OFBiz. Let

> > > one
> > > that file

> > > result
> > > garbage
> > > that
> > > it

> > > three

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Hi, Torsten!

I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same problem occurred.

The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source code of the page

<head>
    <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
    <script language="javascript" src="/images/calendar1.js" type="text/javascript"></script>    <script language="javascript" src="/images/selectall.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script language="javascript" src="/images/fieldlookup.js" type="text/javascript"></script>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/maincss.css" type="text/css"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css" type="text/css"/>

</head>

Best regards,
Bashir

Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> Torstan,
>
> As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the Create
> Agreement Screen.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>
> The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8).
> if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
>

> Best regards,
> Bashir
>

> Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>
>>Torstan,
>>
>>Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
>>ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية
>>
>>The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)
>>

>>Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>>
>>>Bashir,
>>>
>>>could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Torsten

> the

> reverses

> me

> enter

> seems

> display

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Torsten,

As Amine said, the first concern is to get Arabic character displayed correctly. After that hope that progress can be made with regarding to Right-to-left direction issues.

Regards,
Bashir

Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote

Amine AZZI schrieb:
> [...]
>     then to
>     enter
>      >>>>>Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser
>     the result
>      >>>>>was
>      >>>>>that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of
>     garbage
>      >>>>>words.
>      >>>>>I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic
>     like that
>      >>>>>shown
>      >>>>>in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed.
>     Also it
>     seems
>      >>>>>that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in
>     three
>      >>>>>strange
>      >>>>>characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Amine,

It would be great if we work together for this full functional Arabic version of OFBiz. As I have understood, I need to use the Resource Bundle Editor Eclipse plug in. I will check that.

Regards,

Bashir

Amine AZZI wrote
Hello,

I already posted ana rabic translation for common and accounting they are
not complete but they are quite full,
If you want to get it correctly you should use the Property bundle plugin
that gets with eclipse, it 's the only way to get around.
I send you the arabic files I could do.
It's will be great if we work together to have a fully functional arabic
version of Ofbiz.

Regards.
Amine.

2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <bashiralfetori@yahoo.com>:

> Torstan,
>
> As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the
> Create
> Agreement Screen.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>
> The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to Unicode(UTF-8).
> if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
>

> Best regards,
> Bashir
>

> Bashir Alfetori wrote:
> >
> > Torstan,
> >
> > Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
> > ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسيØ(c)
> >
> > The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)
> >

> > Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
> >>
> >> Bashir,
> >>
> >> could you send a screenhot of how it looks like?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Torsten

> about

> the
> reverses

> Let
> me

> file
> enter
> result
> seems
> display

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> [...]
>>
>>But in order to find out if this would solve your problem or now, just
>>do this:
>>
>>Save the page to the harddisk.
>>Add that <meta ...> tag manuelly to the <head> section of your HTML.
>>Reload the saved page from your harddisk into the browser.
>>
>>I found IE wanted that extra info while Mozilla doesn't.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Torsten
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
>>
>>>Torstan,
>>>
>>>As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the
>>>Create
>>>Agreement Screen.
>>>http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>>>
>>>The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to
>>>Unicode(UTF-8).
>>>if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.

Bashir, Amine,

There is an initiative underway to refactor the UI. During the upcoming weeks
there will be a lot of activity going on in this area. The right-to-left layout
issues you are facing should be solved at the conclusion of the refactor.

If you would like to contribute to the effort, please spend some time reading
this Jira issue:

and its sub-tasks. I have taken on the role of coordinating this effort, so let
me know if you are interested.

-Adrian