Arabic Translation

Re: Arabic Translation

You may find  some informations about RBE usage and best practices here : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Tips+for+translation

Jacques

> Amine,
>
> It would be great if we work together for this full functional Arabic
> version of OFBiz. As I have understood, I need to use the Resource Bundle
> Editor Eclipse plug in. I will check that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bashir
>

> Amine AZZI wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I already posted ana rabic translation for common and accounting they are
> > not complete but they are quite full,
> > If you want to get it correctly you should use the Property bundle plugin
> > that gets with eclipse, it 's the only way to get around.
> > I send you the arabic files I could do.
> > It's will be great if we work together to have a fully functional arabic
> > version of Ofbiz.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Amine.
> >

> > 2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <[hidden email]>:
> >>

> >> Torstan,
> >>
> >> As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the
> >> Create
> >> Agreement Screen.
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
> >>
> >> The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to
> >> Unicode(UTF-8).
> >> if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
> >> http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
> >>

> >> Best regards,
> >> Bashir

> >> about

> >> modify
> >> the
> >> reverses

> >> Let
> >> me

> >> file
> >> enter
> >> result
> >> seems
> >> display

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Trosten,

I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as Amine pointed.

Regards,
Bashir

Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote
Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> Hi, Torsten!
>
> I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same
> problem occurred.
>
> The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source code
> of the page

> <head>
>     <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
>     <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css" type="text/css"/>
>
> </head>
>
> Best regards,
> Bashir
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>
>>Hi Bashir!
>>
>>Forget about Windows-1256. This is not what you want.
>>
>>What browser are you using? Internet Explorer or Mozilla? Would you
>>bring trying the other one, as one step?
>>
>>Here's what I'd check:
>>
>>- Is the page delivered to the browser as HTML or XHTML? (You can check
>>using the "show page source" option in your browser.)
>>- In case it's XHTML and in case the browser is Internet Explorer, it's
>>not enough to have <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, but you
>>should either add an HTML meta tag like this:
>>
>><head>
>></head>
>>
>>or make sure the corresponding HTTP header is sent.
>>
>>I am not that familiar with OFBiz internals to tell you how to ake this
>>happen, but I am sure other people on the list would be able to help.
>>
>>But in order to find out if this would solve your problem or now, just
>>do this:
>>
>>Save the page to the harddisk.
>>Add that <meta ...> tag manuelly to the <head> section of your HTML.
>>Reload the saved page from your harddisk into the browser.
>>
>>I found IE wanted that extra info while Mozilla doesn't.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Torsten
>>

>>Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
>>
>>>Torstan,
>>>
>>>As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears in the
>>>Create
>>>Agreement Screen.
>>>http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>>>
>>>The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to
>>>Unicode(UTF-8).
>>>if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is obtained.
>>>http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
>>>

>>>Best regards,
>>>Bashir

> about

>>>the

>>>reverses

> Let
>
>>>me

> file

>>>enter

> result

>>>seems

>>>display

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Bashir, Adrian

whenever, you are at ease with RBE let me now, as we should see together how
to proceed in translating labels into arabic (making a jira issue ...)
For the UI, it seems interesting to get some interest for languages written
from right to left. yes I am interested we must absolutely solve this issue
and let the interface use the proper css when an RTL language is choosen.

Amine.

2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <[hidden email]>:

> Trosten,
>
> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as
> Amine
> pointed.
>
> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
> > Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
> > Regards,
> > Torsten
> >
> > Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> >> Hi, Torsten!
> >>
> >> I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same
> >> problem occurred.
> >>
> >> The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source
> >> code
> >> of the page

> >> <head>
> charset=UTF-8"/>
> >>     <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
> >>     <script language="javascript" src="/images/calendar1.js"
> >> type="text/javascript"></script>
> >>     <script language="javascript" src="/images/selectall.js"
> >> type="text/javascript"></script>
> >>
> >>     <script language="javascript" src="/images/fieldlookup.js"
> >> type="text/javascript"></script>
> >>     <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/maincss.css" type="text/css"/>
> >>     <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css"
> type="text/css"/>
> >>
> >> </head>
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Bashir

> ok
> >>
> >> about

> modify

> the

> OFBiz.
> >>
> >> Let

> one
> that
> >>
> >> file

> >> result

> garbage
> that
> it

> three

Re: Arabic Translation

Adrian Crum
Amine,

You can get the rtl process started by creating a Jira issue. That will give
others the opportunity to evaluate it and vote on it.

-Adrian

Amine AZZI wrote:

> Bashir, Adrian
>
> whenever, you are at ease with RBE let me now, as we should see together
> how
> to proceed in translating labels into arabic (making a jira issue ...)
> For the UI, it seems interesting to get some interest for languages written
> from right to left. yes I am interested we must absolutely solve this issue
> and let the interface use the proper css when an RTL language is choosen.
>
> Amine.
>

> 2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Trosten,
>>
>> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as
>> Amine
>> pointed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bashir
>>

>> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
>> > Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
>> > Regards,
>> > Torsten

>> same

>> charset=UTF-8"/>

>> type="text/css"/>
>> type="text/css"/>

>> check
>> it's

>> this

>> obtained.

>> existing
>> ok

>> modify

>> the

>> OFBiz.

>> one
>> that

>> garbage
>> that
>> it

>> three

Re: Arabic Translation

Oops, forgot the link to best practices : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Plugins#Plugins-RBE
Though in case of new files this is less a problem ... but after...

> You may find  some informations about RBE usage and best practices here : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Tips+for+translation
>
> Jacques
>

> > Amine,
> >
> > It would be great if we work together for this full functional Arabic
> > version of OFBiz. As I have understood, I need to use the Resource Bundle
> > Editor Eclipse plug in. I will check that.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bashir
> >

> > Amine AZZI wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I already posted ana rabic translation for common and accounting they are
> > > not complete but they are quite full,
> > > If you want to get it correctly you should use the Property bundle plugin
> > > that gets with eclipse, it 's the only way to get around.
> > > I send you the arabic files I could do.
> > > It's will be great if we work together to have a fully functional arabic
> > > version of Ofbiz.
> > >
> > > Regards.

Re: Arabic Translation

Torsten Schlabach-2
Hi Azzi!

I just did some tests and I wonder what I am missing. Actually, I get
even different results from what you've seen. I am not trying this as
part of OFBiz but I thought I'd create a standalone test.

Could you import my little standalone project into your Eclipse and tell
me what's wrong? I only get ????? in my browser, not the strange
characters you've seen.

Regards,
Torsten

Amine AZZI schrieb:

> [...]
>>  Torstan,
>>
>>  As an example, here is a screen shot of how one label appears
>         in the Create
>>  Agreement Screen.
>>  http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG
>>
>>  The Character encoding of the browser is set by default to
>         Unicode(UTF-8).
>>  if changed to Arabic(Windows-1256) the second screen shot is
>         obtained.
>>
>         http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG
>         <http://www.nabble.com/file/6706/ArabicLabel_Encoding_Windows-1256.JPG>
>>

>>  Best regards,
>>  Bashir
>>

>>  Bashir Alfetori wrote:
>>
>> >Torstan,
>> >
>> >Arabic word:                             الرئيسية
>> >ِAppears in the browser as:         الرئيسية
>> >
>> >The character encoding in the browser is set to Unicode (UTF-8)

Hi Bashir and Amine,

 > I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as
 > Amine pointed.

Did it solve the problem? I have done some experiments last night and
got some interesting insights into details. So please allow me to share
what I found out, hopefully for the benefit of anyone who might run into
this.

First of all, the short answer:

As we all know, Java strings are Unicode internally. (Note that Unicode
!= UTF-8. UTF-8 is one possible representation of Unicode among others.)
When you read a properties files which contains \uXXXX code in it, you
can be quite sure you will have valid Unicode characters in your string
in memory. So I doubt that the problem is anywhere on the input side.

But in order to render stuff properly in the browser, you need to make
sure that you set the appropriate encoding to the servlet response. You
usually do it like that:

        protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
                        HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {

                response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");

                PrintWriter pw = response.getWriter();

This is not the same as just outputting

from your servlet code, because Java knows that it has Unicode strings
in memory and unless you set the encoding of your output stream which
writes to the browser properly, Java is intelligent to know that it
cannot render certain unicode ranges (like Chineese or Arabic) to an
output device that it thinks is Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1), so it will just
put a question mark '?' in there for those characters it thinks it
cannot print.

Well, the problem you showed in your screenshot at

http://www.nabble.com/file/6705/ArabicLabel.JPG

is different.

These characters are what you can expect to see if you render an UTF-8
encoded string to a Latin-1 based device without Java knowing that the
string is UTF-8.

So I was able to reproduce that pattern when I wrote my properties file
directly in UTF-8 (not using \uXXXX escape codes but real UTF-8). In
that case, Java expected the properties file to be in Latin-1, which is
in line with the spec and thus did *not* build a proper Unicode string
with Arabic characters in memory.

Take a look at

https://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

 > When saving properties to a stream or loading them from a stream, the
 > ISO 8859-1 character encoding is used. For characters that cannot be
 > directly represented in this encoding, Unicode escapes  are used;
 > however, only a single 'u' character is allowed in an escape sequence.
 > The native2ascii tool can be used to convert property files to and
 > from other character encodings.

In other words:

The kind of pattern you see in your screenshot can only come from some
UTF-8 (not \uXXXX escape sequences) being misread as Latin-1 ASCII and
then passed on. So did either you or that RBE plugin maybe save /
convert your properties file?

Out the output side, this cannot happen, even if you mess up the
character coding somewhere in the pipeline, as Java will either render
it properly or use questions marks.

But to be on the safe side and make sure that OFBiz will be setting the
Servlet response encoding to UTF-8, you probably need to set a parameter
in some web.xml files.

Take a look at the code here, OFBiz does something quite interesting there:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/control/ControlServlet.java

// setup DEFAULT chararcter encoding and content type, this will be
overridden in the RequestHandler for view rendering
         String charset = getServletContext().getInitParameter("charset");
         if (charset == null || charset.length() == 0) charset =
request.getCharacterEncoding();
         if (charset == null || charset.length() == 0) charset = "UTF-8";
         Debug.logInfo("The character encoding of the request is: [" +
request.getCharacterEncoding() + "]. The character encoding we will use
for the request and response is: [" + charset + "]", module);

In plain text:

- If the charset servlet init parameter is set: use that one. (It's
*not* set by default. You can set it in web.xml.)
- If it's not set, use the request's encoding. (This can be the trap! I
am not sure what encoding a browser would use for sending the request!)
- If neither one's the case, set a default of UTF-8.

It would make sense to watch the debug log output on your system as it's
going to tell you what encoding it uses, but I'd bet it is using UTF-8
for one or the other reason. Just you take out some uncertainty by
explicitely forcing UTF-8 through that init-parameter. You can never be
sure what a user's browser does.

I will send you my sandbox standalone servlet which demonstrates some of
the issues mentioned here. I cannot attach it to the mail as the list
does not seem to allow this.

Hope this helps.

Note once again, this has nothing to do yet with RTL (right-to-left)
support as well as transcoding / transliteration. Has a Jira issue been
created on that one yet. If so, I'd be happy to contibute my 2 cents to
it. I can just warn from experience with an app: RTL is !=
transliteration / transcoding and both is far from trivial. Not
technically, just to decide *what* you want to do. But that's a whole
separate email.

Have a nice weekend. We're close to it yet.

Regards,
Torsten

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:

> Trosten,
>
> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as Amine
> pointed.
>
> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>
>>Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
>>Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
>>Regards,
>>Torsten
>>
>>Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
>>
>>>Hi, Torsten!
>>>
>>>I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same
>>>problem occurred.
>>>
>>>The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source
>>>code
>>>of the page

>>><head>
>>>    <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
>>>    <script language="javascript" src="/images/calendar1.js"
>>>type="text/javascript"></script>
>>>    <script language="javascript" src="/images/selectall.js"
>>>type="text/javascript"></script>
>>>
>>>    <script language="javascript" src="/images/fieldlookup.js"
>>>type="text/javascript"></script>
>>>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/maincss.css" type="text/css"/>
>>>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css" type="text/css"/>
>>>
>>></head>
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bashir

>>>about

> modify

>>>Let

>>>file

>>>result

> garbage

> that

> three

Re: Arabic Translation

Shi Jinghai
Hi there,

I just saw Adrian Crum's message on RTL in OFBiz dev mail list.

Here are the steps how we translate Chinese UI labels (i18n standard
method):

1. Create an OFBiz-zh project in Eclipse.

2. Create a src-OFBiz-zh-UTF8 directory in the project.

3. Create pathes just as OFBiz.

4. Copy the UI files and rename them to *_zh.properties, set the files'
encoding to UTF-8 in Eclipse. According to ISO-639, zh means Chinese.
You can find your language here:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/English_list.php

5. Translate the UI labels.

6. Create a build.xml under the project. You can use our build.xml as
start:http://ofbiz-zh.cvs.sourceforge.net/ofbiz-zh/OFBiz-zh/

7. Run native2ascii of the build.xml which will convert property files
under src-OFBiz-zh-UTF8 to src-OFBiz-zh-ascii. The Chinese charactors
will be translated in the style of \uxxxx \uxxxx. Here, x is the HEX
number. (I remember there's a paragraph in JDK says Java reads file in
iso-8859-1 but I cannot find it now.)

8. Copy the property files under src-OFBiz-zh-ascii to the deployed
OFBiz directory.

9. Start OFBiz and choose Chinese and check the translation.

10. Repeat the necessary steps above to keep up changes or improve the
translation quality.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Have a nice weekend,

Shi Jinghai/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hi all,

Here is a screen shot about a module that has been developed above ofbiz and is working in arabic. the UILabels files were geenrated bu RBE for Eclipse.

I have no problem in working with arabic. You can see that the only issue remaining is to make the UI RTL. I will work on this issue the coming days inchallah and post it on Jira.

Regards.

2007/2/23, Shi Jinghai <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi, Trosten

Thanks for your help.

Yes, The problem is solved by using RBE and Arabic characters can be displayed in the browser. RBE is fine and takes care of translating the properties values entered in Arabic to the corresponding \uXXXX format.

Best regards,

Bashir

Thanks for your
Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote
Hi Bashir and Amine,

Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> Trosten,
>
> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as Amine
> pointed.
>
> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>
>>Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
>>Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
>>Regards,
>>Torsten
>>
>>Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
>>
>>>Hi, Torsten!
>>>
>>>I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same
>>>problem occurred.
>>>
>>>The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source
>>>code
>>>of the page

>>><head>
>>>    <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
>>>    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css" type="text/css"/>
>>>
>>></head>
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bashir

>>>about

> modify

>>>Let

>>>file

>>>result

> garbage

> that

> three

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Amine

Thank you for your help. RBE works fine and I was able to display Arabic character in the browser. Hope to proceed together now in translating labels to Arabic.

2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <bashiralfetori@yahoo.com>:

> Trosten,
>
> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as
> Amine
> pointed.
>
> Regards,
> Bashir
>

> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
> > Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
> > Regards,
> > Torsten
> >
> > Bashir Alfetori schrieb:
> >> Hi, Torsten!
> >>
> >> I am using Mozilla Firefox. I tried with Internet Explorer and the same
> >> problem occurred.
> >>
> >> The meta tag is set properly as you stated. here is part of the source
> >> code
> >> of the page

> >> <head>
> charset=UTF-8"/>
> >>     <title>OFBiz: Accounting Manager: Edit Agreement</title>
> >>     <link rel="stylesheet" href="/images/tabstyles.css"
> type="text/css"/>
> >>
> >> </head>
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Bashir

> ok
> >>
> >> about

> modify

> the

> OFBiz.
> >>
> >> Let

> one
> that
> >>
> >> file

> >> result

> garbage
> that
> it

> three

Re: Arabic Translation

Amine AZZI
Hello,

Here is a quick patch if ever you would like to have an RTL UI.

Amine.

Amine AZZI wrote:

> Bashir, Adrian
>
> whenever, you are at ease with RBE let me now, as we should see together
> how
> to proceed in translating labels into arabic (making a jira issue ...)
> For the UI, it seems interesting to get some interest for languages
> written
> from right to left. yes I am interested we must absolutely solve this
> issue
> and let the interface use the proper css when an RTL language is choosen.
>
> Amine.
>

> 2007/2/22, Bashir Alfetori <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Trosten,
>>
>> I think using Resource Bundle Editor plug in will solve the problem as
>> Amine
>> pointed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bashir
>>

>> Torsten Schlabach-2 wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok, so the problem seems to be somewhere else.
>> > Let me see if I will find some time on that subject tonight.
>> > Regards,
>> > Torsten

>> same

>> charset=UTF-8"/>

>> type="text/css"/>
>> type="text/css"/>

>> check
>> it's

>> this

>> obtained.

>> existing
>> ok

>> modify

>> the

>> OFBiz.

>> one
>> that

>> garbage
>> that
>> it

>> three

Re: Arabic Translation

mahassen
hello bechir
i would like to work with ofbiz in arabic language but i don't know how to resolve this problem.......please i would like you help me
and thank you
Bashir Alfetori wrote
I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words. I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Bashir Alfetori
Hello, Mahassen

There is an ongoing effort to translate OFBiz to Arabic. Also there is a proposed changes that would allow Right-to-Left direction display of user interface. I hope a full Arabic version of OFBiz be available soon. I also want to work with OFBiz in Arabic.

Best regards,

Bashir

mahassen wrote
Bashir Alfetori wrote
I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words. I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

Mahassen,

Be sure at least to check this 2 links
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Tips+for+translation
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Plugins#Plugins-RBE

Jacques

> i would like to work with ofbiz in arabic language but i don't know
how to
> resolve this problem.......please i would like you help me
> and thank you
>
> Bashir Alfetori wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one
> > properties file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters
into
> > that file until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was
ok then
> > to enter Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser
the
> > result was that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind
of
> > garbage words. I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in
Arabic
> > like that shown in the hello world tutorials but the same problem
existed.
> > Also it seems that every character in Arabic was displayed in the
browser
> > in three strange characters. The direction is still left to right. I
just
> > want to display Arabic characters on the browser.

Re: Arabic Translation

mahassen
bechir
you mean that until now it is impossible to work with ofbiz in arabic???????
Bashir Alfetori wrote
I am trying to start with translating OFBiz to Arabic. I tried one properties file. At first I was not able to enter Arabic characters into that file until changed the property file to support utf-8. It was ok then to enter Arabic characters in the properties file but in the browser the result was that the labels were not showing in Arabic. It was a kind of garbage words. I also tried to build a simple Ofbiz application in Arabic like that shown in the hello world tutorials but the same problem existed. Also it seems that every character in Arabic was displayed in the browser in three strange characters. The direction is still left to right. I just want to display Arabic characters on the browser.
12