CMS integration?

rhodebump
Has anyone ever considered integrating a CMS system with ofbiz?  I am
thinking alfresco/magnolia, etc... Something that matches the license
and be JCR/JSR 170 complaint.

Thanks
Phillip

Re: CMS integration?

Tim Ruppert
There are lots of different Content Management efforts going on all
around the project - and I expect that we'll be bringing up this
discussion topic back to the forefront in the next few weeks as well.

I have not heard much discussion about integrating Alfresco (and I
don't know much about Magnolia), but it is something to definitely
keep in mind.  If you have any luck with it or any specific ideas,
please bring it back to the list.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6594

On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> Has anyone ever considered integrating a CMS system with ofbiz?  I
> am thinking alfresco/magnolia, etc... Something that matches the
> license and be JCR/JSR 170 complaint.
>
> Thanks
> Phillip

Re: CMS integration?

rhodebump
How does ofbiz handle product images?  That's a touch point with a CMS
repository.  In the cart that I built (that I am not whatsover promoting
here), I would like to go to a full ERP...  Anyway, in the system that I
built, the store manager would upload a product photo.  This product
photo needed to be resized to difference sizes and stored on the
filesystem for future reference.  I wanted a "asset library" here, in
which the product images would be stored, referenced and used.  There's
a apache product out there called jackrabbit that would be good for this
(it's a content repository), just the repository, not the cms.

Same goes with pdf's and other specifications associated to a product.
If they are in a content repository, one can use them in the site also.
Imagine a 1/2 off weekend sale.

With my understanding of things, I would advocate migrating the content
(images, pdf's, etc) to jackrabbit using their api.  Once in jackrabbit,
there are cms systems that can use jackrabbit as their backend so then
your assets can be used in your website.

Phillip

Tim Ruppert wrote:

> There are lots of different Content Management efforts going on all
> around the project - and I expect that we'll be bringing up this
> discussion topic back to the forefront in the next few weeks as well.
>
> I have not heard much discussion about integrating Alfresco (and I
> don't know much about Magnolia), but it is something to definitely
> keep in mind.  If you have any luck with it or any specific ideas,
> please bring it back to the list.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6594
>

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever considered integrating a CMS system with ofbiz?  I
>> am thinking alfresco/magnolia, etc... Something that matches the
>> license and be JCR/JSR 170 complaint.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Phillip

Re: CMS integration?

David E Jones-2

OFBiz does have a built-in content repository which is already tied
to many things in the project, including products and such.

One trick with this for ecommerce sites is that you generally don't
want to dynamically (through the app server) host static content such
as images, pdfs, static css/js/html/etc files, and so on. These are
usually moved to at least a different server, and for some sites they
even use a service like Akamai or CacheFly to host them. OFBiz
ecommerce was originally written for this.

What is missing though is a way to take images (for example) from the
content repository and do resize and other operations, and then
promote them to production.

The scope of the web oriented content management features now being
discussed (we have a few clients who are interested in this now, so
it should happen soon... finally...) includes page snippet management
and assembly, integration with other parts of OFBiz (some of the this
is already in place, ie the screen widget is "content aware"),
revision management, dynamic page mounting and linking, and so on.
Adding something like image provisioning could certainly be done, and
static provisioning from the dynamic/managed content repository could
more generally include HTML files, etc, etc... to the imagination and
beyond!

-David