Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

G.Venkata Phanindra
Hi All,
       I saw the following  logic found a point to be very confusing ....
i.e in ShoppingCart.java file in makeItem(...)
method we r getting the ProductCategory as the first productCatergory i that
particular catalog of Type "PCCT_PURCH_ALLW" which can be only be one per
catalog ... but that does Restrict me from Selling Products of any another
Categories in Ofbiz ... because i am successfully able to use the Shopping
Cart and Check out processes ...
is this correct functionality of Ofbiz ...
 as i see its not ????? am i missing anything here?????
Regards

G.Venkata Phanindra
Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

G.Venkata Phanindra
Hi all,
         I waitted  for about a week for some reply from forums... but i did
not get any ... can any one please look into this .... i am also feeling is
my question not clear ... please reply me.. if that is the case ..
regards
G Venkata Phanindra.

G.Venkata Phanindra
Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

cjhowe
I haven't found it necessary as of yet to utilize the
PCCT_PURCH_ALLW restriction.  However, I would suspect
that if you made your additional category a
subcategory of your PCCT_PURCH_ALLW category it should
recurse.  If this is not the case, simply add your
products to that category.  Products can be a member
of more than one category.  And a category does not
have to recurse from your root category.

--- "G.Venkata Phanindra" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>          I waitted  for about a week for some reply
> from forums... but i did
> not get any ... can any one please look into this
> .... i am also feeling is
> my question not clear ... please reply me.. if that
> is the case ..
> regards
> G Venkata Phanindra.
>
> On 12/12/06, G.Venkata Phanindra
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >        I saw the following  logic found a point to
> be very confusing ....
> > i.e in ShoppingCart.java file in makeItem(...)
> > method we r getting the ProductCategory as the
> first productCatergory i
> > that particular catalog of Type "PCCT_PURCH_ALLW"
> which can be only be one
> > per catalog ... but that does Restrict me from
> Selling Products of any
> > another Categories in Ofbiz ... because i am
> successfully able to use the
> > Shopping Cart and Check out processes ...
> > is this correct functionality of Ofbiz ...
> >  as i see its not ????? am i missing anything
> here?????
> > Regards
> >
> > G.Venkata Phanindra
> > Mob:: 9849852989
>

> --
> G.Venkata Phanindra
> Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

David E Jones-2

Yeah, I'm not really sure what your question is, but Chris may be
going in the right direction... so...

To clarify: for performance reasons it does not recurse, so the
products do have to be direct members of the purchase allow category.
There is some stuff in the Catalog Manager to add all products in a
category and its children to another category to help with this sort
of thing.

BTW, check out the section on this stuff in the Basic Product Setup
Guide (in the technical section on docs.ofbiz.org), it has some
information about these category types.

-David

On Dec 17, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> I haven't found it necessary as of yet to utilize the
> PCCT_PURCH_ALLW restriction.  However, I would suspect
> that if you made your additional category a
> subcategory of your PCCT_PURCH_ALLW category it should
> recurse.  If this is not the case, simply add your
> products to that category.  Products can be a member
> of more than one category.  And a category does not
> have to recurse from your root category.
>
> --- "G.Venkata Phanindra" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>          I waitted  for about a week for some reply
>> from forums... but i did
>> not get any ... can any one please look into this
>> .... i am also feeling is
>> my question not clear ... please reply me.. if that
>> is the case ..
>> regards
>> G Venkata Phanindra.
>>
>> On 12/12/06, G.Venkata Phanindra
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>        I saw the following  logic found a point to
>> be very confusing ....
>>> i.e in ShoppingCart.java file in makeItem(...)
>>> method we r getting the ProductCategory as the
>> first productCatergory i
>>> that particular catalog of Type "PCCT_PURCH_ALLW"
>> which can be only be one
>>> per catalog ... but that does Restrict me from
>> Selling Products of any
>>> another Categories in Ofbiz ... because i am
>> successfully able to use the
>>> Shopping Cart and Check out processes ...
>>> is this correct functionality of Ofbiz ...
>>>  as i see its not ????? am i missing anything
>> here?????
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> G.Venkata Phanindra
>>> Mob:: 9849852989
>>

>> --
>> G.Venkata Phanindra
>> Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

G.Venkata Phanindra
Hi Jones,Chris ..
            To be more specific  I m able to add products for category of
type Quick  Add or Promotions and also able to use it for shopping cart ...
but the problem is with current design in ofbiz shopping cart flow it is not
storing all the information about a product or an item  in ShoppingCart
object
as expected ...  for example a product can be part of more than one category
or a Catalog .. then the information stored with the item is not as expected
it is taking the first category where this product is found and storing ...
which is actually restricting me to add one product to one category ......
 the files about which i am looking at are ...

Package
org.ofbiz.order.shoppingcart
classes are
ShoppingCart.java
ShoppingCartItem.java
Specific Lines of Code from ShoppingCartItem.java makeItem(.....)
try {
            product = delegator.findByPrimaryKeyCache("Product",
UtilMisc.toMap("productId", productId));

            // first see if there is a purchase allow category and if this
product is in it or not
            String purchaseProductCategoryId =
CatalogWorker.getCatalogPurchaseAllowCategoryId(delegator, prodCatalogId);
            if (product != null && purchaseProductCategoryId != null) {
                if (!CategoryWorker.isProductInCategory(delegator,
product.getString("productId"), purchaseProductCategoryId)) {
                    // a Purchase allow productCategoryId was found, but the
product is not in the category, axe it...
                    product = null;
                }
            }
        } catch (GenericEntityException e) {
            Debug.logWarning(e.toString(), module);
            product = null;
        }

Specific Lines of Code from CatalogWorker.java
getCatalogPurchaseAllowCategoryId(GenericDelegator delegator, String
prodCatalogId)
if (prodCatalogId == null || prodCatalogId.length() <= 0) return null;

        List prodCatalogCategories = getProdCatalogCategories(delegator,
prodCatalogId, "PCCT_PURCH_ALLW");
        if (prodCatalogCategories != null && prodCatalogCategories.size() >
0) {
            GenericValue prodCatalogCategory = EntityUtil.getFirst
(prodCatalogCategories);
            return prodCatalogCategory.getString("productCategoryId");
        } else {
            return null;
        }

The problem with the lines above that are in bold we r returning only the
first catagory that is found which will not be the case always ........
please tell me know if i am missing somting .... in the code .....

regards,

G Venkata Phanindra.

G.Venkata Phanindra
Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

David E Jones-2

The intention of the search category, purchase allow category, and
other such categories is that they NOT be the same as the browse
categories, and in fact should not be. In other words each product
should be in the search/purchase allow/etc category (or categories if
different ones) AND in one or more browse categories.

BTW, there are a number of companies that can help you with
structuring your catalog to facilitate various functional elements,
and to facilitate product searching/finding for customers.

-David

On Dec 17, 2006, at 11:50 PM, G.Venkata Phanindra wrote:

> [...]
>> of thing.
>>
>> BTW, check out the section on this stuff in the Basic Product Setup
>> Guide (in the technical section on docs.ofbiz.org), it has some
>> information about these category types.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Dec 17, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>>
>> > I haven't found it necessary as of yet to utilize the
>> > PCCT_PURCH_ALLW restriction.  However, I would suspect
>> > that if you made your additional category a
>> > subcategory of your PCCT_PURCH_ALLW category it should
>> > recurse.  If this is not the case, simply add your
>> > products to that category.  Products can be a member
>> > of more than one category.  And a category does not
>> > have to recurse from your root category.

> --
> G.Venkata Phanindra
> Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

If I understand you correctly, you're missing the
point of putting a category in the role of
PCCT_PURCH_ALLW to a catalog.

Your PCCT_PURCH_ALLW category should not be a category
that your customers would see the members of.  It is a
seperate, external category.

For instance with the demo catalog you have the
following category structure
CATALOG1 is Browse Root for DemoCatalog
CATALOG1 is parent to PC-100, GC-100, 200, and 100

If you wanted to utilize the PCT_PURCH_ALLW
ProductCatalogCategoryType, you would create a
category "RESTRICTED" that is not a child (and most
likely not rolled up to any category)
to CATALOG1 and put all of your products in
RESTRICTED.

For instance product GZ-1000 (Tiny Gizmo) is a member
of the product category 100 (Gizmos).  To utilize this
restricted functionality, you would make GZ-1000 a
member of your new RESTRICTED category as well.  Now
GZ-1000 is a member of 2 categories  (technically 5
categories as the demo data sets this product up in
category 100, category 101, CATALOG1_SEARCH, and
TSTCSL)

> [...]

> suspect
> > > that if you made your additional category a
> > > subcategory of your PCCT_PURCH_ALLW category it
> should
> > > recurse.  If this is not the case, simply add
> your
> > > products to that category.  Products can be a
> member
> > > of more than one category.  And a category does
> not
> > > have to recurse from your root category.
> > >
> > > --- "G.Venkata Phanindra" <[hidden email]>

> reply
> this
> that

> point to
> "PCCT_PURCH_ALLW"

> --
> G.Venkata Phanindra
> Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Problem with Shopping Card and Category Management

Thanks for all your reply ... i got some important information that is
giving me a direction let me do some back ground work before posting
questions....
regards

G Venkata Phanindra

--