[COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Sharan-F
Hi Everyone

Thank you to everyone who participated in the community vote for a logo.
The vote has been active for the last 5 days and I closed it today after
have posted the results on the wiki at the link below:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/July+2016+-+OFBiz+Logo+Survey+Results

One person voted for more than one option so I have not counted that vote.

The results are:

  * Option 1: Updated Existing Logo: 8 votes
  * Option 2: Correct OFBiz Spelling and New Apache Feather: 8 votes
  * Option 3: Power Button based OFBiz logo: 14 votes

The majority of the votes were for Option 3 so I will take this as the
logo that has been selected by the community to move forward with.

I was especially glad to see that we had responses from a wide range of
countries which shows how truly truly international OFBiz is!

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Pierre Smits
Thank you, Sharan,

Could you, as a convenience to all, include the images that could be and
have been voted for as well?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> Thank you to everyone who participated in the community vote for a logo.
> The vote has been active for the last 5 days and I closed it today after
> have posted the results on the wiki at the link below:
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/July+2016+-+OFBiz+Logo+Survey+Results
>
> One person voted for more than one option so I have not counted that vote.
>
> The results are:
>
>  * Option 1: Updated Existing Logo: 8 votes
>  * Option 2: Correct OFBiz Spelling and New Apache Feather: 8 votes
>  * Option 3: Power Button based OFBiz logo: 14 votes
>
> The majority of the votes were for Option 3 so I will take this as the
> logo that has been selected by the community to move forward with.
>
> I was especially glad to see that we had responses from a wide range of
> countries which shows how truly truly international OFBiz is!
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Paul Piper
Hi Sharan,

and thanks for the great work on the logo. But didn't the majority vote for a variation of the current logo? Option 1&2 differ only by the way the feather is portrayed and there is an even split between both.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Sharan-F
Hi Paul

Sorry for the confusion. I will follow Pierre's suggestion to include the links to the options on the results wiki page.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2016-07-27 14:31 (+0200), Paul Piper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sharan,
>
> and thanks for the great work on the logo. But didn't the majority vote for
> a variation of the current logo? Option 1&2 differ only by the way the
> feather is portrayed and there is an even split between both.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Sharan-F
Hi Pierre

Good point! I will add the links to the wiki page that has all the result details.

Thanks
Sharan

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > Thank you to everyone who participated in the community vote for a logo.
> > The vote has been active for the last 5 days and I closed it today after
> > have posted the results on the wiki at the link below:
> >

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/July+2016+-+OFBiz+Logo+Survey+Results
> >
> > One person voted for more than one option so I have not counted that vote.
> >
> > The results are:
> >
> >  * Option 1: Updated Existing Logo: 8 votes
> >  * Option 2: Correct OFBiz Spelling and New Apache Feather: 8 votes
> >  * Option 3: Power Button based OFBiz logo: 14 votes
> >
> > The majority of the votes were for Option 3 so I will take this as the
> > logo that has been selected by the community to move forward with.
> >
> > I was especially glad to see that we had responses from a wide range of
> > countries which shows how truly truly international OFBiz is!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Ean Schuessler
This is one of the benefits of the Condorcet style voting that Debian uses.
Both option 1 and option 2 would probably have defeated option 3 in an
straight contest between the two contestants. A jaded person might
speculate that the vote seems constructed to favor the third logo but I
have a feeling that this was not a thoughtfully constructed outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Paul Piper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sharan,
>
> and thanks for the great work on the logo. But didn't the majority vote for
> a variation of the current logo? Option 1&2 differ only by the way the
> feather is portrayed and there is an even split between both.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Ean Schuessler, Brainfood Co-Founder
[hidden email]
214-720-0700

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Paul Piper
Ean, thanks for the link.

I fully agree. Though I don't feel strongly about the logo myself, It just struck me as odd that two out of the three options the community was shown were representing the then current design and the last was representing the one that came before. Neither option was truely genuine and thus a split between the then current logo may have given the third option a winning edge. It almost seemed like going back in time to undo a move to the now replaced logo.

That being said: i liked the now former logo for its clear relation to the other apache logos and simplicity, but I have no complaints about switching. I just wanted to point out that these votes are rather bewildering at times. Some votes are held to propose deep cuts into the projects (logo / CI, new website, gradle, releases) and seem to go about without much discussion, while others (themes, git) seem to be fought to death until the discussion just kinda stops. So I guess that's how this community works ;)

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

Paul Piper
Perhaps I should add:

I liked the work Brainfood had done in the past with the themes, logo & CI it provided. You guys did a good job back then! So I hope that none of you guys take these recent moves as a devaluation of your work.

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

+1

Jacques

Le 05/10/2016 à 07:51, Paul Piper a écrit :

> Perhaps I should add:
>
> I liked the work Brainfood had done in the past with the themes, logo & CI
> it provided. You guys did a good job back then! So I hope that none of you
> guys take these recent moves as a devaluation of your work.

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

gomola
I found it a bit odd to accidentally see that the logo had been changed
when searching for a reference on google.

Yes I do agree that the logo selection process was biased and unnecessary.
I heard nothing about it. Is there a design discussion list for ofbiz? Also
what the hell is option two aside from a similar logo version to option 1?
To me that seems like a biased vote. People will look at both logos as the
same. You combine those two logos and it is more than the old logo.

Furthermore I feel that there are far bigger issues that need to be dealt
with on the ofbiz UI/UX side, working on the theme way back then was a
mess. However changing up the logo back to it's 1993...? 1994? Incarnation
must be important.

I would have loved to see a new creative brand. The selection process did
not really produce anything new or creative. We took a step back to the
first logo which was dated back when I did the now replaced logo. A bit of
two steps back as far as I am concerned.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 05/10/2016 à 07:51, Paul Piper a écrit :
>
>> Perhaps I should add:
>>
>> I liked the work Brainfood had done in the past with the themes, logo & CI
>> it provided. You guys did a good job back then! So I hope that none of you
>> guys take these recent moves as a devaluation of your work.
>>

>> --

Erik Schuessler
Vice President / Partner
www.Brainfood.com
214.720.0700 e323

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

gomola
oops sorry poor choice of words... i meant to say monotony, not incarnation

Re: [COMMUNITY VOTE RESULT] New OFBiz Logo

gomola
Also was there ever even a call for entries?