Catch All Tax Authority?

Ritesh Trivedi
Hi All,

Current tax calculations in Ofbiz are quiet complex and hence difficult to understand completely. I have run in to situations (during testing) which highlights the fact that user entry errors can cause tax calculations to be mis-calculated. e.g. If user enters City and Zip code which are not related - meaning somehow geo_assoc for that doesnt exist (may be because the tax data imported by me wasnt didnt have the complete list or was done by the user on purpose or unknowingly) I dont see a way to have a catch all tax where the tax e.g. in the case of California, if none no tax authority could be found and if the state was CA, the the default tax charged should be 8.25% or whatever.

For proper tax calculations for California in Ofbiz I can only have 1 tax authority  and since in California CBOE publishes tax rates by the city I have chosen to define city based tax authorities only. I cannot have both CA state tax authority along with city based tax authorities since ofbiz tax calculations seems like it adds those 2 while calculating tax for the cart.

Let me know if my understanding of tax authority in Ofbiz is off and if there is a way to have catch all.

Re: Catch All Tax Authority?

kunal aggarwal
hi Ritesh

Create your company in such a way that its shipping address contain state as
well as city.

U  need to create 2 tax authorities
    1. With GEO as CA(state only)
    2. With GEO as CA-state( state with city)

then you will be charged with both taxes ....state as well as for city

try this.
Hope this will help

KUNAL

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Ritesh Trivedi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Current tax calculations in Ofbiz are quiet complex and hence difficult to
> understand completely. I have run in to situations (during testing) which
> highlights the fact that user entry errors can cause tax calculations to be
> mis-calculated. e.g. If user enters City and Zip code which are not related
> - meaning somehow geo_assoc for that doesnt exist (may be because the tax
> data imported by me wasnt didnt have the complete list or was done by the
> user on purpose or unknowingly) I dont see a way to have a catch all tax
> where the tax e.g. in the case of California, if none no tax authority
> could
> be found and if the state was CA, the the default tax charged should be
> 8.25% or whatever.
>

> For proper tax calculations for California in Ofbiz I can only have 1 tax
> authority  and since in California CBOE publishes tax rates by the city I
> have chosen to define city based tax authorities only. I cannot have both
> CA
> state tax authority along with city based tax authorities since ofbiz tax
> calculations seems like it adds those 2 while calculating tax for the cart.
>
> Let me know if my understanding of tax authority in Ofbiz is off and if
> there is a way to have catch all.

Re: Catch All Tax Authority?

Ritesh Trivedi
The problem is I DONT want the taxes to be added ofcourse. There is only ONE Tax in CA.

But your post brings up another thing I noticed - The format of the Geo id seems to be like
<GeoIdParent>-<GeoIdChild>

is that true? I looked at the code and for country and postal code for shipping, thats the format that it looks under. Is this documented anywhere?

kunal aggarwal wrote

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Ritesh Trivedi <ritesh.trivedi@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Current tax calculations in Ofbiz are quiet complex and hence difficult to
> understand completely. I have run in to situations (during testing) which
> highlights the fact that user entry errors can cause tax calculations to be
> mis-calculated. e.g. If user enters City and Zip code which are not related
> - meaning somehow geo_assoc for that doesnt exist (may be because the tax
> data imported by me wasnt didnt have the complete list or was done by the
> user on purpose or unknowingly) I dont see a way to have a catch all tax
> where the tax e.g. in the case of California, if none no tax authority
> could
> be found and if the state was CA, the the default tax charged should be
> 8.25% or whatever.
>

> For proper tax calculations for California in Ofbiz I can only have 1 tax
> authority  and since in California CBOE publishes tax rates by the city I
> have chosen to define city based tax authorities only. I cannot have both
> CA
> state tax authority along with city based tax authorities since ofbiz tax
> calculations seems like it adds those 2 while calculating tax for the cart.
>
> Let me know if my understanding of tax authority in Ofbiz is off and if
> there is a way to have catch all.

Re: Catch All Tax Authority?

Might think about ECA's
sends a message to user that tax is unable to be calcuated and contact a
 consultant to have this upgraded.
or have a screen they are sent to, to add their default tax info.

Ritesh Trivedi sent the following on 8/7/2008 12:28 PM:

> Hi All,
>
> Current tax calculations in Ofbiz are quiet complex and hence difficult to
> understand completely. I have run in to situations (during testing) which
> highlights the fact that user entry errors can cause tax calculations to be
> mis-calculated. e.g. If user enters City and Zip code which are not related
> - meaning somehow geo_assoc for that doesnt exist (may be because the tax
> data imported by me wasnt didnt have the complete list or was done by the
> user on purpose or unknowingly) I dont see a way to have a catch all tax
> where the tax e.g. in the case of California, if none no tax authority could
> be found and if the state was CA, the the default tax charged should be
> 8.25% or whatever.
>

> For proper tax calculations for California in Ofbiz I can only have 1 tax
> authority  and since in California CBOE publishes tax rates by the city I
> have chosen to define city based tax authorities only. I cannot have both CA
> state tax authority along with city based tax authorities since ofbiz tax
> calculations seems like it adds those 2 while calculating tax for the cart.
>
> Let me know if my understanding of tax authority in Ofbiz is off and if
> there is a way to have catch all.

Re: Catch All Tax Authority?

I agree with BJ, having something calculating automatically taxes behind sounds frightening...

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>