Configurable Product quantity

Ritesh Trivedi
Hi,

Looking at the code and the tables, it seems like its not possible for the users to specify the quantity for the configurable product option. e.g. in the demo product - Enchilada - for the config option of Jalapeneos - is it possible to provide an option to the customer for quantity? or for the Gold Pizza demo product - quantity for the toppings (2x of Peppers)?

Re: Configurable Product quantity

BJ Freeman
look at
http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=PROMOTIONS/~product_id=PC001
you can setup to select different option.
just like on a menu

Ritesh Trivedi sent the following on 8/18/2008 12:24 PM:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at the code and the tables, it seems like its not possible for the
> users to specify the quantity for the configurable product option. e.g. in
> the demo product - Enchilada - for the config option of Jalapeneos - is it
> possible to provide an option to the customer for quantity? or for the Gold
> Pizza demo product - quantity for the toppings (2x of Peppers)?

Re: Configurable Product quantity

Ritesh Trivedi
The question was - whether its possible to specify the quantities for the individual CONFIG OPTIONS (especially of config item type multiple) and NOT THE ENTIRE CONFIGURABLE product.

BJ Freeman wrote
look at
http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=PROMOTIONS/~product_id=PC001
you can setup to select different option.
just like on a menu

Ritesh Trivedi sent the following on 8/18/2008 12:24 PM:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at the code and the tables, it seems like its not possible for the
> users to specify the quantity for the configurable product option. e.g. in
> the demo product - Enchilada - for the config option of Jalapeneos - is it
> possible to provide an option to the customer for quantity? or for the Gold
> Pizza demo product - quantity for the toppings (2x of Peppers)?

Re: Configurable Product quantity

BJ Freeman
quantiles are not supported.
it complicates the Production run, for figuring Time and materials.
however it is possible, if someone wants to contribute.

Ritesh Trivedi sent the following on 8/18/2008 1:19 PM:

> The question was - whether its possible to specify the quantities for the
> individual CONFIG OPTIONS (especially of config item type multiple) and NOT
> THE ENTIRE CONFIGURABLE product.
>

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> look at
>> http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=PROMOTIONS/~product_id=PC001
>> you can setup to select different option.
>> just like on a menu
>>
>> Ritesh Trivedi sent the following on 8/18/2008 12:24 PM:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Looking at the code and the tables, it seems like its not possible for
>>> the
>>> users to specify the quantity for the configurable product option. e.g.
>>> in
>>> the demo product - Enchilada - for the config option of Jalapeneos - is
>>> it
>>> possible to provide an option to the customer for quantity? or for the
>>> Gold
>>> Pizza demo product - quantity for the toppings (2x of Peppers)?

Re: Configurable Product quantity

Bilgin Ibryam
Quoting Ritesh Trivedi <[hidden email]>:

> The question was - whether its possible to specify the quantities for the
> individual CONFIG OPTIONS (especially of config item type multiple) and NOT
> THE ENTIRE CONFIGURABLE product.

Hi Ritesh,

OOTB you achieve this functionality by creating many config options
and assigning the same product with different quantities. This way the
user can select the desired quantity if there is option for this
quantity. Also notice that the user may select more than one check
box, and in this case the total quantity for the option will be the
sum of all checkboxes (if it is the same product, for example Peppers).

If you want the user to enter the quantities for every option, you
have to modify ProductConfigWrapper.java, ProductConfigWorker.java and
configproductdetail.ftl

You can also check r686748 where I add possibility to enter comments
from order manager for every selected option.

Bilgin

Re: Configurable Product quantity

Ritesh Trivedi
Thanks Bilgin.

I thought about this a little more - I see 2 ways of supporting quantities for "multiple" config item type. I think its a very valid requirement/scenario where user might want to order additional quantities and am surprised that it hasnt come up yet.

#1 One way is as you mentioned modifying relevant files and
#2 the other way is to add the product config products as individual items in the cart.

I am leaning towards option # 2 as its less invasive. I dont see any issues with that - but my knowledge of how ofbiz handles configurable product may be limited. Do you see any problems with #2?

Bilgin Ibryam wrote
Quoting Ritesh Trivedi <ritesh.trivedi@gmail.com>:

> The question was - whether its possible to specify the quantities for the
> individual CONFIG OPTIONS (especially of config item type multiple) and NOT
> THE ENTIRE CONFIGURABLE product.

Hi Ritesh,

OOTB you achieve this functionality by creating many config options
and assigning the same product with different quantities. This way the
user can select the desired quantity if there is option for this
quantity. Also notice that the user may select more than one check
box, and in this case the total quantity for the option will be the
sum of all checkboxes (if it is the same product, for example Peppers).

If you want the user to enter the quantities for every option, you
have to modify ProductConfigWrapper.java, ProductConfigWorker.java and
configproductdetail.ftl

You can also check r686748 where I add possibility to enter comments
from order manager for every selected option.

Bilgin

Re: Configurable Product quantity

Bilgin Ibryam
Quoting Ritesh Trivedi <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Bilgin.
>
> I thought about this a little more - I see 2 ways of supporting quantities
> for "multiple" config item type. I think its a very valid
> requirement/scenario where user might want to order additional quantities
> and am surprised that it hasnt come up yet.
>
> #1 One way is as you mentioned modifying relevant files and
> #2 the other way is to add the product config products as individual items
> in the cart.
>
> I am leaning towards option # 2 as its less invasive. I dont see any issues
> with that - but my knowledge of how ofbiz handles configurable product may
> be limited. Do you see any problems with #2?

I don't see any problems in #2, but it is something different from
adding components (products) to a configurable product. In the second
case you will sell the product as a separate item: be sure to set the
correct price with purposes and also check accounting transactions for
both cases.

BTW, I offered you 2 ways to achieve it: 1) without modifying files,
but only creating options with different quantities, and 2) with
extending the code...