[DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Julien NICOLAS
Pierre,

I don't know if we'll need it or not for now. There is so many thing to
define but it seems interesting. We will have to start this discussion
on the new theme topic.

Julien.

On 02/12/2016 11:55, pierre wrote:

> Hi Julien
>
> Is there any interest into the integration  of a java UI framework
> such as vaadin?
>
> regards,
>
> Pierre
>

> On 01/12/2016 23:26, Julien NICOLAS wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I start a page about the POC for the UI improvement.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the content is enough but I was wanted to create it.
>> We can now start some... Jira ? I was wondering one main Jira linked
>> to 4 other sub-jira.
>>
>> thanks to those Jira, we can have 4 teams or workgroup to go ahead in
>> both ways.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/UI+Improvement
>>
>> Let me know if I'm doing well,
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Julien.
>>
>> PS : I'm currently checkout the common-theme provided by Nicolas's
>> github (https://github.com/nmalin/ApacheOFBiz/tree/common-theme)
>>

>> On 28/11/2016 11:28, Sharan Foga wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> Another one of the topics that came up during the brainstorming in
>>> Seville was around the UI. In fact we had at least 2 presentations
>>> from the OFBiz track at Apachecon that were about how we could
>>> improve our UI.
>>>
>>> If the UI was the main focus - what could the strategy look like
>>> - User Interface - have 2 versions of the UI, one very clean and
>>> simple, the other more advanced. (Our current UI could be the
>>> advanced one....?
>>> - Separate the web part from the widgets
>>> - We have too many fields on one screen (many of them are not
>>> mandatory and are just included as optional). What if we slimmed down
>>> all the screens to have a sensible default UI for users. The UI could
>>> also be modifiable by service providers. Simplify the screens with
>>> defaults
>>> - Use Bootstrap / CSS / Angular
>>> - Isolate web related
>>> - Define a graphics charter to be used for the screens
>>> - Have a CSS convention
>>> - Remove web from the framework - it shouldn't be there
>>>
>>> What do people think?
>>>
>>> -Do people think it would be a good idea to have 2 versions of the
>>> UI? (a simple one and a more advanced one?)
>>>
>>> - Are these the things we would need to focus on or have in place if
>>> we wanted to focus on the UI?
>>>
>>> (Also I know Nicolas has mentioned that he has already started work
>>> on a Proof of Concept for a common theme  - so do we need to make
>>> sure we agree conventions etc before much more work is done?)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Pierre Smits
So you are considering the following:

 ‘A more flexible and extensible approach is to use the FTL XML processing
features directly instead of going through Java classes. With this approach
adding an attribute or support for a whole new element in the widget XML
files is just a matter of adding it to the FTL macros that process XML
elements’

?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Pierre,
>
> I don't know if we'll need it or not for now. There is so many thing to
> define but it seems interesting. We will have to start this discussion on
> the new theme topic.
>
> Julien.
>

> On 02/12/2016 11:55, pierre wrote:
>
>> Hi Julien
>>
>> Is there any interest into the integration  of a java UI framework such
>> as vaadin?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Pierre
>>

>> On 01/12/2016 23:26, Julien NICOLAS wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I start a page about the POC for the UI improvement.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if the content is enough but I was wanted to create it.
>>> We can now start some... Jira ? I was wondering one main Jira linked
>>> to 4 other sub-jira.
>>>
>>> thanks to those Jira, we can have 4 teams or workgroup to go ahead in
>>> both ways.
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/UI+Improvement
>>>
>>> Let me know if I'm doing well,
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Julien.
>>>
>>> PS : I'm currently checkout the common-theme provided by Nicolas's
>>> github (https://github.com/nmalin/ApacheOFBiz/tree/common-theme)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Julien NICOLAS
If I understand well, yes.

All html structure must be managed by the theme. In OOTB, it could be
really better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro. This is a way that
could be good to follow to have consistency for all screens in OFBiz.

Julien.

On 06/12/2016 11:59, Pierre Smits wrote:

> So you are considering the following:
>
>   ‘A more flexible and extensible approach is to use the FTL XML processing
> features directly instead of going through Java classes. With this approach
> adding an attribute or support for a whole new element in the widget XML
> files is just a matter of adding it to the FTL macros that process XML
> elements’
>

> ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Pierre,
>>
>> I don't know if we'll need it or not for now. There is so many thing to
>> define but it seems interesting. We will have to start this discussion on
>> the new theme topic.
>>
>> Julien.
>>

>> On 02/12/2016 11:55, pierre wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Julien
>>>
>>> Is there any interest into the integration  of a java UI framework such
>>> as vaadin?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Pierre Smits
I am wondering how to understand this:

better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro

Is not every ftl template providing macro functionalities? Do you desire
that this project moves away from using ftl templates in any other place
than in a theme?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If I understand well, yes.
>
> All html structure must be managed by the theme. In OOTB, it could be
> really better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro. This is a way that
> could be good to follow to have consistency for all screens in OFBiz.
>
> Julien.
>

> On 06/12/2016 11:59, Pierre Smits wrote:
>
>> So you are considering the following:
>>
>>   ‘A more flexible and extensible approach is to use the FTL XML
>> processing
>> features directly instead of going through Java classes. With this
>> approach
>> adding an attribute or support for a whole new element in the widget XML
>> files is just a matter of adding it to the FTL macros that process XML
>> elements’
>>

>> ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Pierre,
>>>
>>> I don't know if we'll need it or not for now. There is so many thing to
>>> define but it seems interesting. We will have to start this discussion on
>>> the new theme topic.
>>>
>>> Julien.
>>>

>>> On 02/12/2016 11:55, pierre wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Julien

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Julien NICOLAS
It's a proposal for best practices, because of my own experience on
making new theme and the impact for a consistency UI.

For example, party details screen is a patchwork of xml screens and ftl
screens. If you manage to change the HTML structure of a form, it'll
affect only xml screen thanks to macro ftl. The pure ftl screen keep the
old html structure and you have to adapt your theme rendering to the
html structure of the ftl. It's a pity that we have to manage UI screen
by screen.

There is no guidelines on how to make a good screen, and you can find
for the same usage ftl screen and xml screen with different UI... So, we
lost consistency. If we engage a new start for UI using guidelines,
allow to make ftl screen with new UI by new developer could be dangerous
for maintenance.

What I mean is not to forbid ftl screen, but to forbid it for common
screens that can be managed by xml structured screen in OOTB. In that
way, we keep the UI consistency in the OOTB.

It's difficult to explain well my tough, I hope to not made a
misunderstanding :)

Julien.

On 07/12/2016 14:45, Pierre Smits wrote:

> I am wondering how to understand this:
>
> better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro
>
> Is not every ftl template providing macro functionalities? Do you desire
> that this project moves away from using ftl templates in any other place
> than in a theme?
>
> Best regards,
>

> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> If I understand well, yes.
>>
>> All html structure must be managed by the theme. In OOTB, it could be
>> really better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro. This is a way that
>> could be good to follow to have consistency for all screens in OFBiz.
>>
>> Julien.
>>

>> On 06/12/2016 11:59, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>
>>> So you are considering the following:
>>>
>>>    ‘A more flexible and extensible approach is to use the FTL XML
>>> processing
>>> features directly instead of going through Java classes. With this
>>> approach
>>> adding an attribute or support for a whole new element in the widget XML
>>> files is just a matter of adding it to the FTL macros that process XML
>>> elements’
>>>

>>> ?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre Smits
>>>
>>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>>
>>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>>
>>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>>
>>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pierre,

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Julien,

thanks for your explanations.

It is indeed difficult to explain and understand, I suggest to provide
some kind of diagram or maybe some very simple examples, if you can.

Please also have in mind that we need to have a migration plan from old
to new and we should be able to run old and new in parallel for a while,
at least during one full release. We have some responsibility towards
existing users.

Thanks for your appreciated efforts,

Michael

Am 07.12.16 um 16:16 schrieb Julien NICOLAS:

> It's a proposal for best practices, because of my own experience on
> making new theme and the impact for a consistency UI.
>
> For example, party details screen is a patchwork of xml screens and
> ftl screens. If you manage to change the HTML structure of a form,
> it'll affect only xml screen thanks to macro ftl. The pure ftl screen
> keep the old html structure and you have to adapt your theme rendering
> to the html structure of the ftl. It's a pity that we have to manage
> UI screen by screen.
>
> There is no guidelines on how to make a good screen, and you can find
> for the same usage ftl screen and xml screen with different UI... So,
> we lost consistency. If we engage a new start for UI using guidelines,
> allow to make ftl screen with new UI by new developer could be
> dangerous for maintenance.
>
> What I mean is not to forbid ftl screen, but to forbid it for common
> screens that can be managed by xml structured screen in OOTB. In that
> way, we keep the UI consistency in the OOTB.
>
> It's difficult to explain well my tough, I hope to not made a
> misunderstanding :)
>
> Julien.
>

> On 07/12/2016 14:45, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> I am wondering how to understand this:
>>
>> better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro
>>
>> Is not every ftl template providing macro functionalities? Do you desire
>> that this project moves away from using ftl templates in any other place
>> than in a theme?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Julien NICOLAS
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If I understand well, yes.
>>>
>>> All html structure must be managed by the theme. In OOTB, it could be
>>> really better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro. This is a way
>>> that
>>> could be good to follow to have consistency for all screens in OFBiz.
>>>
>>> Julien.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Julien NICOLAS
Hi Michael,

I'll provide drawings and some examples to be clearer.

Anyway, we start a proof of concept to show pros and cons of our tough.
It'll mustn't affect the good old fashion themes. The explanation about
the guidelines will also not affect the old version, it's to be sure
that our efforts will be not perverted by bad habits. Good practices or
UI Guidelines could help to follow the good way to create screens ;)

Julien.

On 07/12/2016 16:29, Michael Brohl wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> thanks for your explanations.
>
> It is indeed difficult to explain and understand, I suggest to provide
> some kind of diagram or maybe some very simple examples, if you can.
>
> Please also have in mind that we need to have a migration plan from
> old to new and we should be able to run old and new in parallel for a
> while, at least during one full release. We have some responsibility
> towards existing users.
>
> Thanks for your appreciated efforts,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 07.12.16 um 16:16 schrieb Julien NICOLAS:
>> It's a proposal for best practices, because of my own experience on
>> making new theme and the impact for a consistency UI.
>>
>> For example, party details screen is a patchwork of xml screens and
>> ftl screens. If you manage to change the HTML structure of a form,
>> it'll affect only xml screen thanks to macro ftl. The pure ftl screen
>> keep the old html structure and you have to adapt your theme
>> rendering to the html structure of the ftl. It's a pity that we have
>> to manage UI screen by screen.
>>
>> There is no guidelines on how to make a good screen, and you can find
>> for the same usage ftl screen and xml screen with different UI... So,
>> we lost consistency. If we engage a new start for UI using
>> guidelines, allow to make ftl screen with new UI by new developer
>> could be dangerous for maintenance.
>>
>> What I mean is not to forbid ftl screen, but to forbid it for common
>> screens that can be managed by xml structured screen in OOTB. In that
>> way, we keep the UI consistency in the OOTB.
>>
>> It's difficult to explain well my tough, I hope to not made a
>> misunderstanding :)
>>
>> Julien.
>>

>> On 07/12/2016 14:45, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>> I am wondering how to understand this:
>>>
>>> better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro
>>>
>>> Is not every ftl template providing macro functionalities? Do you
>>> desire
>>> that this project moves away from using ftl templates in any other
>>> place
>>> than in a theme?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>

>>> Pierre Smits
>>>
>>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>>
>>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Julien NICOLAS
>>> <[hidden email]>

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

taher
I'm sure Julien has good ideas on how to move things about and I'll let gim
express those, I just want to add a conceptual frame for why probably both
Julien and myself sort of agree on the seperation of FTL templates from
screen widgets, so here goes ...

Aside from the great data model and service engine, OFBiz has something
which people like, which is the DSL. The DSL abstracts the database and
entities details. The DSL abstracts the services and their details. The DSL
also abstracts configuration. The same is exactly true for the user
interface.

Why do we have a DSL for entities?  because we want a simple unified
language that talks to all the different databases. Why do we have DSL for
services? Because we want a unified way of accessing them regardless of the
implementation programming language.

By the same logic, you want a unified simple DSL for creating the user
interface without worrying about the details of the output format whether
be it HTML, PDF, Swing, Text or something else.

When you define an entity do you go and mix The Entity definition in XML
with SQL statements? When you create a service definition do you put the
implementation inside that definition? I think the answer to both questions
is no correct?

So by the same philosophy and spirit of using the DSL everywhere in a pure
form and putting the implementation details "somewhere else", the same
should hold with the user interface.

So what are the benefits of this separation?

- Naturally you provide a simple DSL for people to quickly create a nice
user interface without having to know about all the intricacies of web
programming.
- you separate the definition from the implementation which allows you to
output to multiple formats without touching the widgets.
- you achieve modularity and avoid code repetition. You write every macro
once and only once. Then you use it everywhere indirectly through the
widgets.
- you achieve separation of concerns. You keep all the Technologies related
to web like CSS HTML and JavaScript in a separate location, while keeping
other logic like processing the DSL and parsing it and building the model
from it in another place.
- Changes to web frameworks become much easier (HTML 5? Angular, etc ...).
You can change that stuff without touching any of your widgets.

So the issue remaining is whether you folks believe it is worth the effort
and hard work to get this done. We leave that for the community to decide.

I certainly agree with Michael though that we should do this work in a
careful manner to minimize the transition pain for adopters of earlier
versions.

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Dec 7, 2016 6:30 PM, "Michael Brohl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> thanks for your explanations.
>
> It is indeed difficult to explain and understand, I suggest to provide
> some kind of diagram or maybe some very simple examples, if you can.
>
> Please also have in mind that we need to have a migration plan from old to
> new and we should be able to run old and new in parallel for a while, at
> least during one full release. We have some responsibility towards existing
> users.
>
> Thanks for your appreciated efforts,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 07.12.16 um 16:16 schrieb Julien NICOLAS:
>
>> It's a proposal for best practices, because of my own experience on
>> making new theme and the impact for a consistency UI.
>>
>> For example, party details screen is a patchwork of xml screens and ftl
>> screens. If you manage to change the HTML structure of a form, it'll affect
>> only xml screen thanks to macro ftl. The pure ftl screen keep the old html
>> structure and you have to adapt your theme rendering to the html structure
>> of the ftl. It's a pity that we have to manage UI screen by screen.
>>
>> There is no guidelines on how to make a good screen, and you can find for
>> the same usage ftl screen and xml screen with different UI... So, we lost
>> consistency. If we engage a new start for UI using guidelines, allow to
>> make ftl screen with new UI by new developer could be dangerous for
>> maintenance.
>>
>> What I mean is not to forbid ftl screen, but to forbid it for common
>> screens that can be managed by xml structured screen in OOTB. In that way,
>> we keep the UI consistency in the OOTB.
>>
>> It's difficult to explain well my tough, I hope to not made a
>> misunderstanding :)
>>
>> Julien.
>>

>> On 07/12/2016 14:45, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>
>>> I am wondering how to understand this:
>>>
>>> better to not use ftl elsewhere than in macro
>>>
>>> Is not every ftl template providing macro functionalities? Do you desire
>>> that this project moves away from using ftl templates in any other place
>>> than in a theme?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>

>>> Pierre Smits
>>>
>>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>>
>>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Julien NICOLAS <
>>> [hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I understand well, yes.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Divesh Dutta-2
Very good initiative. I see lots of discussions of technology part. So I
will not add on that part. I would like to give some inputs on our approach
to make UI/UX of OFBiz better.

As Jacopo also suggested to take small step at a time, I would say we start
with one use story at a time and then improve UI and UX of that story. For
example: "CSR creates a sales order". We overhaul UI and UX of sales order
creation work flow and Order over view page. Once this is done, it will be
good POC for others to learn how to do UI overhaul. And then others can
participate by picking up other user stories . We can also prioritise user
stories and components.

Besides this , before writing code, we can finalise UI and UX of one
workflow by drawing some thing or preparing wireframes. Once we have
wireframes finalised, we can start writing code.

This will be lot of work to change UI and UX of whole OFBiz and starting
one user story at at time is good idea according to me. Having technologies
defined is important thing, however defining UX for particular workflow (on
paper or via wireframes) is also important.

Divesh Dutta.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Julien NICOLAS
Thanks Taher,

Your explanations are sharper than mine, I was on the consistency
benefit, you explain about technical benefits.

Anyway, I'll provide also the explanation drawing and screenshot of the
UI consistency benefits. That is as important as the technical part :)

Have a nice day,

Julien.

On 07/12/2016 17:08, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:

> [...]
>>> structure and you have to adapt your theme rendering to the html structure
>>> of the ftl. It's a pity that we have to manage UI screen by screen.
>>>
>>> There is no guidelines on how to make a good screen, and you can find for
>>> the same usage ftl screen and xml screen with different UI... So, we lost
>>> consistency. If we engage a new start for UI using guidelines, allow to
>>> make ftl screen with new UI by new developer could be dangerous for
>>> maintenance.
>>>
>>> What I mean is not to forbid ftl screen, but to forbid it for common
>>> screens that can be managed by xml structured screen in OOTB. In that way,
>>> we keep the UI consistency in the OOTB.
>>>
>>> It's difficult to explain well my tough, I hope to not made a
>>> misunderstanding :)
>>>
>>> Julien.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Hi Divesh,

As a first step, because we have a lot of work before starting UX part,
I want to use POC to show how the screen structure (for find, entity
details sheet, etc.) is important.

Nicolas start to create the common-theme and I start to make it blank.
The theme without theme (with minimal UI) ;)

In that way, we will able to show how will work this structure screens.
I'll to provide example to explain better my tough (I'll work on it this
week-end).

Because the order process contain a lot of specific process that will be
only used by the order process, I think that first components to be
migrate will probably simple components. It will be faster and easier
than the order process to show a new modern and UX user interface :)

What do you think ?

Julien.

On 08/12/2016 08:19, Divesh Dutta wrote:

> Very good initiative. I see lots of discussions of technology part. So I
> will not add on that part. I would like to give some inputs on our approach
> to make UI/UX of OFBiz better.
>
> As Jacopo also suggested to take small step at a time, I would say we start
> with one use story at a time and then improve UI and UX of that story. For
> example: "CSR creates a sales order". We overhaul UI and UX of sales order
> creation work flow and Order over view page. Once this is done, it will be
> good POC for others to learn how to do UI overhaul. And then others can
> participate by picking up other user stories . We can also prioritise user
> stories and components.
>
> Besides this , before writing code, we can finalise UI and UX of one
> workflow by drawing some thing or preparing wireframes. Once we have
> wireframes finalised, we can start writing code.
>
> This will be lot of work to change UI and UX of whole OFBiz and starting
> one user story at at time is good idea according to me. Having technologies
> defined is important thing, however defining UX for particular workflow (on
> paper or via wireframes) is also important.

> Divesh Dutta.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Divesh Dutta-2
Sounds good Julien. Order process was just an example. I agree with you to
start with other common components.

Divesh Dutta

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Julien NICOLAS <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Divesh,
>
> As a first step, because we have a lot of work before starting UX part, I
> want to use POC to show how the screen structure (for find, entity details
> sheet, etc.) is important.
>
> Nicolas start to create the common-theme and I start to make it blank. The
> theme without theme (with minimal UI) ;)
>
> In that way, we will able to show how will work this structure screens.
> I'll to provide example to explain better my tough (I'll work on it this
> week-end).
>
> Because the order process contain a lot of specific process that will be
> only used by the order process, I think that first components to be migrate
> will probably simple components. It will be faster and easier than the
> order process to show a new modern and UX user interface :)
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Julien.
>

> On 08/12/2016 08:19, Divesh Dutta wrote:
>
>> Very good initiative. I see lots of discussions of technology part. So I
>> will not add on that part. I would like to give some inputs on our
>> approach
>> to make UI/UX of OFBiz better.
>>
>> As Jacopo also suggested to take small step at a time, I would say we
>> start
>> with one use story at a time and then improve UI and UX of that story. For
>> example: "CSR creates a sales order". We overhaul UI and UX of sales order
>> creation work flow and Order over view page. Once this is done, it will be
>> good POC for others to learn how to do UI overhaul. And then others can
>> participate by picking up other user stories . We can also prioritise user
>> stories and components.
>>
>> Besides this , before writing code, we can finalise UI and UX of one
>> workflow by drawing some thing or preparing wireframes. Once we have
>> wireframes finalised, we can start writing code.
>>
>> This will be lot of work to change UI and UX of whole OFBiz and starting
>> one user story at at time is good idea according to me. Having
>> technologies
>> defined is important thing, however defining UX for particular workflow
>> (on
>> paper or via wireframes) is also important.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Divesh Dutta.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Julien, all,

I'd like to resurrect this discussion and the activities to improve the
OFBiz user interface. I think we really should put some focused effort
on it if we want OFBiz to be recognized as a modern ERP. Also, if we
imporve the UI, more users and also developers will be attracted which
will be a win for the community and further development of OFBiz.

Nicolas and others who have started work on this: can you give us an
update about the efforts undertaken and where we stand?

[1] and [2] seem to be abandoned for a while but maybe there are efforts
which are simply not reported since then?

Thanks for an update and best regards,

Michael

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/UI+Improvement

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9137

Am 08.12.16 um 08:29 schrieb Julien NICOLAS:

> [...]
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Taher Alkhateeb
>>
>> On Dec 7, 2016 6:30 PM, "Michael Brohl" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Julien,
>>>
>>> thanks for your explanations.
>>>
>>> It is indeed difficult to explain and understand, I suggest to provide
>>> some kind of diagram or maybe some very simple examples, if you can.
>>>
>>> Please also have in mind that we need to have a migration plan from
>>> old to
>>> new and we should be able to run old and new in parallel for a
>>> while, at
>>> least during one full release. We have some responsibility towards
>>> existing
>>> users.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your appreciated efforts,
>>>
>>> Michael

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Nicolas Malin-2
Hi Michael

Le 02/07/2017 à 20:42, Michael Brohl a écrit :

> Hi Julien, all,
>
> I'd like to resurrect this discussion and the activities to improve
> the OFBiz user interface. I think we really should put some focused
> effort on it if we want OFBiz to be recognized as a modern ERP. Also,
> if we imporve the UI, more users and also developers will be attracted
> which will be a win for the community and further development of OFBiz.
>
> Nicolas and others who have started work on this: can you give us an
> update about the efforts undertaken and where we stand?
Currently I block on the comon-theme with a good information
propagation. My next step will be create a dedicate object as referent
on widget context, but my works has been disturb with the framework
separation and the git-svn link break.
Instead of continue, I help some people to work on the groovy mini-lang
conversion. I plan to improve a few the groovy DSL and after I continue
the work on commont-theme.

Nicolas

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Michael Brohl-3
Thanks Nicolas,

is there anything, even work in progress, you are able to share at the
moment?

This way other could chime in and help moving further.

Thanks,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 03.07.17 um 09:26 schrieb Nicolas Malin:

> Hi Michael
>
> Le 02/07/2017 à 20:42, Michael Brohl a écrit :
>> Hi Julien, all,
>>
>> I'd like to resurrect this discussion and the activities to improve
>> the OFBiz user interface. I think we really should put some focused
>> effort on it if we want OFBiz to be recognized as a modern ERP. Also,
>> if we imporve the UI, more users and also developers will be
>> attracted which will be a win for the community and further
>> development of OFBiz.
>>
>> Nicolas and others who have started work on this: can you give us an
>> update about the efforts undertaken and where we stand?
> Currently I block on the comon-theme with a good information
> propagation. My next step will be create a dedicate object as referent
> on widget context, but my works has been disturb with the framework
> separation and the git-svn link break.
> Instead of continue, I help some people to work on the groovy
> mini-lang conversion. I plan to improve a few the groovy DSL and after
> I continue the work on commont-theme.
>
> Nicolas

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Sharan-F
Hi All

Don't forget that we also had the offer of a theme from Provolve and
Stannah.

This is a theme that they are using at the moment (so it working) and
have said it could be contributed back to the project. If it's only a
case of having someone volunteer to implement it into the trunk then
this could be a way to get a nice theme up and running quickly for us.

Thanks
Sharan

On 03/07/17 10:29, Michael Brohl wrote:

> Thanks Nicolas,
>
> is there anything, even work in progress, you are able to share at the
> moment?
>
> This way other could chime in and help moving further.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>

> Am 03.07.17 um 09:26 schrieb Nicolas Malin:
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> Le 02/07/2017 à 20:42, Michael Brohl a écrit :
>>> Hi Julien, all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to resurrect this discussion and the activities to improve
>>> the OFBiz user interface. I think we really should put some focused
>>> effort on it if we want OFBiz to be recognized as a modern ERP.
>>> Also, if we imporve the UI, more users and also developers will be
>>> attracted which will be a win for the community and further
>>> development of OFBiz.
>>>
>>> Nicolas and others who have started work on this: can you give us an
>>> update about the efforts undertaken and where we stand?
>> Currently I block on the comon-theme with a good information
>> propagation. My next step will be create a dedicate object as
>> referent on widget context, but my works has been disturb with the
>> framework separation and the git-svn link break.
>> Instead of continue, I help some people to work on the groovy
>> mini-lang conversion. I plan to improve a few the groovy DSL and
>> after I continue the work on commont-theme.
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Sharan,

thanks for the reminder.

It's fine to have another theme to choose for the "old" UI, I just want
to point out that (in my mind) the new theme/UI initiative goes far
beyond having just another theme on base of the current technological stack:

- new themes should be responsive

- we should be able to use different UI frameworks like Bootstrap and
AngularJS who take care of responsiveness and browser compatibility

- it must be easy for developers to write the screen structure and also
easy for webdesigners to build a good design on base of this

- developers should not care about CSS styles and classes, and
webdesigners should not cara about how the screen snippets are put
together or how the screens get their data.

- we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI
frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in
an abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and
make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for
the target library.

- a rewrite of the screens will be necessary to make the UI less
cluttered and overloaded. This will require some concepts/design work
beforehand

- there are surely many other possible requirements (I am not a UX or
web design expert)

I appreciate the contribution of the new theme. I am also sure that this
will not solve the challenge to drive OFBiz to another level, UI wise.

Thanks and regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 03.07.17 um 10:52 schrieb Sharan Foga:

> Hi All
>
> Don't forget that we also had the offer of a theme from Provolve and
> Stannah.

> This is a theme that they are using at the moment (so it working) and
> have said it could be contributed back to the project. If it's only a
> case of having someone volunteer to implement it into the trunk then
> this could be a way to get a nice theme up and running quickly for us.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 03/07/17 10:29, Michael Brohl wrote:
>> Thanks Nicolas,
>>
>> is there anything, even work in progress, you are able to share at
>> the moment?
>>
>> This way other could chime in and help moving further.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael Brohl
>> ecomify GmbH
>> www.ecomify.de
>>

>> Am 03.07.17 um 09:26 schrieb Nicolas Malin:
>>> Hi Michael

>>> Currently I block on the comon-theme with a good information
>>> propagation. My next step will be create a dedicate object as
>>> referent on widget context, but my works has been disturb with the
>>> framework separation and the git-svn link break.
>>> Instead of continue, I help some people to work on the groovy
>>> mini-lang conversion. I plan to improve a few the groovy DSL and
>>> after I continue the work on commont-theme.
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

James Yong-2
Hi Michael and all,

We can look into JSF 2.2 as a possible candidate. It is similar to OFBiz Widget and seems to fit the new requirements described so far in this thread.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-07-03 17:42 (+0800), Michael Brohl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sharan,
>
> thanks for the reminder.
>
> It's fine to have another theme to choose for the "old" UI, I just want
> to point out that (in my mind) the new theme/UI initiative goes far
> beyond having just another theme on base of the current technological stack:
>
> - new themes should be responsive
>
> - we should be able to use different UI frameworks like Bootstrap and
> AngularJS who take care of responsiveness and browser compatibility
>
> - it must be easy for developers to write the screen structure and also
> easy for webdesigners to build a good design on base of this
>
> - developers should not care about CSS styles and classes, and
> webdesigners should not cara about how the screen snippets are put
> together or how the screens get their data.
>
> - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI
> frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in
> an abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and
> make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for
> the target library.
>
> - a rewrite of the screens will be necessary to make the UI less
> cluttered and overloaded. This will require some concepts/design work
> beforehand
>
> - there are surely many other possible requirements (I am not a UX or
> web design expert)
>

> I appreciate the contribution of the new theme. I am also sure that this
> will not solve the challenge to drive OFBiz to another level, UI wise.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>

> Am 03.07.17 um 10:52 schrieb Sharan Foga:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Don't forget that we also had the offer of a theme from Provolve and
> > Stannah.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-6985
> >
> > This is a theme that they are using at the moment (so it working) and
> > have said it could be contributed back to the project. If it's only a
> > case of having someone volunteer to implement it into the trunk then
> > this could be a way to get a nice theme up and running quickly for us.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >
> > On 03/07/17 10:29, Michael Brohl wrote:
> >> Thanks Nicolas,
> >>
> >> is there anything, even work in progress, you are able to share at
> >> the moment?
> >>
> >> This way other could chime in and help moving further.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Michael Brohl
> >> ecomify GmbH
> >> www.ecomify.de

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Michael Brohl-3
Hi James,

thanks for your suggestions.

As far as I know, JSF would introduce some new technologies because it
relies on beans and JSP's (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if we
want to go so far.

I digged a little deeper into the UI stuff, templates and theming and
have to correct my summary a bit: I mentioned AngularJS and Bootstrap on
the same level which is like comparing apples and oranges. AngularJS is
a client-side JavaScript framework to build single page applications,
icluding his own model-view-controller mechanism while Bootsrap is a CSS
framework which provides comprehensive UI elements in a structured way.

I guess that the use of Angular would need a whole lot more changes in
OFBiz than the use of Bootstrap.

So I tend to think that we have to agree on a CSS framework like
Bootstrap and rewrite the UI to use the proper CSS classes for this
framework. That would possibly reduce the complexity and makes this
statement of mine obsolete:

 > - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI
frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in
an abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and
make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for
the target library.

It's maybe too ambitious wanting OFBiz to be able to be used with
different frameworks. The Bootstrap CSS world is well documented [1] and
there are a lot of really good looking and functional free templates out
there. So if we provide the UI code for it, together with one basic
theme, users can put their own themes on top of it.

Maybe this is a way to come to a competitive UI in a relative short
amount of time. I don't think that we can afford to make this a
year-long project.

What do others think?

Best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

[1] https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_ref_all_classes.asp

Le 04/07/2017 à 16:57, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> Hi James,
>
> thanks for your suggestions.
>
> As far as I know, JSF would introduce some new technologies because it relies on beans and JSP's (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if we want
> to go so far.

Facelet is now the recommended technology for JSF https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2095397/what-is-the-difference-between-jsf-servlet-and-jsp and
both are parts of JavaEE.

I agree with Michael and would not like to change OFBiz widgets for JSF. Not that I don't like nor trust JSF (and Oracle, but then a bit less), but
the work is overwhelming and obviously we don't have the resources for that.

> I digged a little deeper into the UI stuff, templates and theming and have to correct my summary a bit: I mentioned AngularJS and Bootstrap on the
> same level which is like comparing apples and oranges. AngularJS is a client-side JavaScript framework to build single page applications, icluding
> his own model-view-controller mechanism while Bootsrap is a CSS framework which provides comprehensive UI elements in a structured way.
>
> I guess that the use of Angular would need a whole lot more changes in OFBiz than the use of Bootstrap.
>
> So I tend to think that we have to agree on a CSS framework like Bootstrap and rewrite the UI to use the proper CSS classes for this framework. That
> would possibly reduce the complexity and makes this statement of mine obsolete:
>
> > - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in an
> abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for the
> target library.
>
> It's maybe too ambitious wanting OFBiz to be able to be used with different frameworks. The Bootstrap CSS world is well documented [1] and there are
> a lot of really good looking and functional free templates out there. So if we provide the UI code for it, together with one basic theme, users can
> put their own themes on top of it.
>
> Maybe this is a way to come to a competitive UI in a relative short amount of time. I don't think that we can afford to make this a year-long project.
>
> What do others think?

I agree that using Bootstrap would be a good thing. An alternative is Foundation https://www.keycdn.com/blog/bootstrap-vs-foundation, this could be
possibly discussed.
That's what ilscipio has used, with some success at the UI level I'd say (they now tend to lean to Foundation). Now they derived from OFBiz at other
technology levels (no or less form widgets but more FTL macros, even an API of FTL macros). So I'd try to compare the rest...

I'd also let Angular out of the picture. Some prefer React (initially from FB) and I wonder what those who have used Angular 1 think about Angular 2!
I also remember another Google "attempt": GWT. Are there still people using it with OFBiz? I guess you get my point, trends pass and tools with them...

Jacques

> Best regards,
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>
> [1] https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_ref_all_classes.asp
>

> Am 03.07.17 um 15:00 schrieb James Yong:
>> Hi Michael and all,
>>
>> We can look into JSF 2.2 as a possible candidate. It is similar to OFBiz Widget and seems to fit the new requirements described so far in this thread.
>>
>> Regards,
>> James Yong
>>
>> On 2017-07-03 17:42 (+0800), Michael Brohl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Sharan,
>>>
>>> thanks for the reminder.
>>>
>>> It's fine to have another theme to choose for the "old" UI, I just want
>>> to point out that (in my mind) the new theme/UI initiative goes far
>>> beyond having just another theme on base of the current technological stack:
>>>
>>> - new themes should be responsive
>>>
>>> - we should be able to use different UI frameworks like Bootstrap and
>>> AngularJS who take care of responsiveness and browser compatibility
>>>
>>> - it must be easy for developers to write the screen structure and also
>>> easy for webdesigners to build a good design on base of this
>>>
>>> - developers should not care about CSS styles and classes, and
>>> webdesigners should not cara about how the screen snippets are put
>>> together or how the screens get their data.
>>>
>>> - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI
>>> frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in
>>> an abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and
>>> make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for
>>> the target library.
>>>
>>> - a rewrite of the screens will be necessary to make the UI less
>>> cluttered and overloaded. This will require some concepts/design work
>>> beforehand
>>>
>>> - there are surely many other possible requirements (I am not a UX or
>>> web design expert)
>>>

>>> I appreciate the contribution of the new theme. I am also sure that this
>>> will not solve the challenge to drive OFBiz to another level, UI wise.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>>
>>> Michael Brohl
>>> ecomify GmbH
>>> www.ecomify.de