Databases

Brendan Vogt
Hi,

Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
think it is supported in Postgres.

I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
time.

Brendan

Re: Databases

vijay Si
I think MYSQL will offer good value for money. We have something
similar requirement. We are using MySQL.
Regards

On Nov 11, 2007 2:13 PM, Brendan Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
> database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
> correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
> think it is supported in Postgres.
>
> I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
> time.
>
> Brendan

Re: Databases

PostGres is the most used DB with OFBiz but this does not mean that you have to use it.
OFBiz comes OOTB with Derby which is not recommended for production use though

Jacques

De : "vijay Si" <[hidden email]>

> I think MYSQL will offer good value for money. We have something
> similar requirement. We are using MySQL.
> Regards
>
> On Nov 11, 2007 2:13 PM, Brendan Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
> > database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
> > correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
> > think it is supported in Postgres.
> >
> > I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
> > time.
> >
> > Brendan

Re: Databases

You have few issues here
Database size and Ofbiz scalability.
You also have the consideration of the CPU speed and amount of memory.
Users depends on what they are doing.

Remember that the DB is not doing much except Storing and retrieving data.
so thing like Store procedures is not considered. Though some jbc
drivers do create temporary stored procedures to deal with select
statements.
So putting the db on a separate server, is an option when you are
starting to see performance issues.

As far as Olap look at the work in specialpurpose\bi folder in the trunk
svn.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 12:43 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
> database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
> correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
> think it is supported in Postgres.
>
> I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
> time.
>
> Brendan

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
I know that, but I am looking for a good database.  Currently I use SQL
Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database that is free of use.
What would you advise?  When I have loads of users using the system at once,
I do not want it to crash or be slow.

De : "vijay Si" <[hidden email]>

> I think MYSQL will offer good value for money. We have something
> similar requirement. We are using MySQL.
> Regards
>
> On Nov 11, 2007 2:13 PM, Brendan Vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
> > database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
> > correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
> > think it is supported in Postgres.
> >
> > I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
> > time.
> >
> > Brendan

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
So what would you recommend?

Currently I use SQL Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database
that is free of use.  What would you advise?  When I have loads of users
using the system at once, I do not want it to crash or be slow.

You also have the consideration of the CPU speed and amount of memory.
Users depends on what they are doing.

Remember that the DB is not doing much except Storing and retrieving data.
so thing like Store procedures is not considered. Though some jbc
drivers do create temporary stored procedures to deal with select
statements.
So putting the db on a separate server, is an option when you are
starting to see performance issues.

As far as Olap look at the work in specialpurpose\bi folder in the trunk
svn.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 12:43 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Of all the databases that Ofbiz cab run on, which is the most suitable
> database?  I am currently running on Postgres.  I think (can't remember
> correctly) but think Ofbiz comes with something like Olap, which I don't
> think it is supported in Postgres.
>
> I am looking at a database that can handle thousands of users at any one
> time.
>
> Brendan

Re: Databases

IMHO Postgres I very reliable. If you need more power you could have a look at http://www.enterprisedb.com/ or such
I already sent you a link to this article too http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=3729&pagtype=all did you
read it ?

Jacques

De : "Brendan Vogt" <[hidden email]>

> I know that, but I am looking for a good database.  Currently I use SQL
> Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database that is free of use.
> What would you advise?  When I have loads of users using the system at once,
> I do not want it to crash or be slow.

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
Yes I did thanks.  You remember well.

Has the rugby fever died down yet in France?

De : "Brendan Vogt" <[hidden email]>
> I know that, but I am looking for a good database.  Currently I use SQL
> Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database that is free of use.
> What would you advise?  When I have loads of users using the system at
once,

> I do not want it to crash or be slow.

Re: Databases

> Has the rugby fever died down yet in France?

Hooo well ...

Jacques

Re: Databases

I went from MS SQL 7 to postgresql and have been there since.
That is not a recommendation compared to other DB's
I have no reason to look for another DB.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 4:38 AM:

> So what would you recommend?
>
> Currently I use SQL Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database
> that is free of use.  What would you advise?  When I have loads of users
> using the system at once, I do not want it to crash or be slow.

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
Can I please see you entityengine.xml file for version 4 please using the
postgres database.

I'm a bit confused with regards to the delegators.

I went from MS SQL 7 to postgresql and have been there since.
That is not a recommendation compared to other DB's
I have no reason to look for another DB.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 4:38 AM:

> So what would you recommend?
>
> Currently I use SQL Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database
> that is free of use.  What would you advise?  When I have loads of users
> using the system at once, I do not want it to crash or be slow.

Re: Databases

Just a note:
read up on how ofbiz uses DB's a lot of features that you see in DB's
are  no used.
for instance triggers in a DB is taken care of with SECAS in ofbiz.
they don't work on Tables, but on services events.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/11/2007 7:25 AM:

> IMHO Postgres I very reliable. If you need more power you could have a look at http://www.enterprisedb.com/ or such
> I already sent you a link to this article too http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=3729&pagtype=all did you
> read it ?
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "Brendan Vogt" <[hidden email]>
>> I know that, but I am looking for a good database.  Currently I use SQL
>> Server 2005, but I am looking for a similar database that is free of use.
>> What would you advise?  When I have loads of users using the system at once,
>> I do not want it to crash or be slow.

Re: Databases

use the entityengine.xml you find in version 4.0

replace derby with localpostgres

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 9:54 AM:

> Can I please see you entityengine.xml file for version 4 please using the
> postgres database.
>
> I'm a bit confused with regards to the delegators.

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
There are the following delegators:

<delegator name="default"...
  <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
</delegator>

<delegator name="default-no-eca"...
  <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
</delegator>

<delegator name="test"...
  <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
</delegator>

So these are the only 3 that I need to change to localpostgres??

What about:

<delegator name="other"...

What is this used for?  Where can I get a description on these delegates for
version 4?  What happened to org.ofbiz.olap?

What else do I need to change in this xml file?

Re: Databases

BJ Freeman
besure to read
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide

 So these are the only 3 that I need to change to localpostgres??
actually you only need to change the first one.
but it does not hurt to change them all.

do a search through the code for delegator to get an idea what it does.

Olap is not a part of ver4.0

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 10:16 AM:

> There are the following delegators:
>
> <delegator name="default"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> <delegator name="default-no-eca"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> <delegator name="test"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> So these are the only 3 that I need to change to localpostgres??
>
> What about:
>
> <delegator name="other"...
>
> What is this used for?  Where can I get a description on these delegates for
> version 4?  What happened to org.ofbiz.olap?
>
> What else do I need to change in this xml file?

RE: Databases

Brendan Vogt
Thanks.

Have you scrapped olap then?

 So these are the only 3 that I need to change to localpostgres??
actually you only need to change the first one.
but it does not hurt to change them all.

do a search through the code for delegator to get an idea what it does.

Olap is not a part of ver4.0

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 10:16 AM:

> There are the following delegators:
>
> <delegator name="default"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> <delegator name="default-no-eca"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> <delegator name="test"...
>   <group-map group-name="org.ofbiz" datasource-name="localderby"/>
> </delegator>
>
> So these are the only 3 that I need to change to localpostgres??
>
> What about:
>
> <delegator name="other"...
>
> What is this used for?  Where can I get a description on these delegates
for
> version 4?  What happened to org.ofbiz.olap?
>
> What else do I need to change in this xml file?

Re: Olap

BJ Freeman
no, it is a new feature.
it is in the trunk
ver4.0 is not putting in new features since its branch

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 11:13 AM:

> Thanks.
>
> Have you scrapped olap then?

RE: Olap

Brendan Vogt
Wait a minute, I'm confused.  What's in trunk again?  Not version 4 yet??  I
have no idea what the difference between trunk and branch is, I think branch
is for release versions, and trunk is updated continually.  I downloaded
version4 in branch.  Should I rather take trunk?  Is trunk also verion 4?

ver4.0 is not putting in new features since its branch

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 11:13 AM:

> Thanks.
>
> Have you scrapped olap then?

Re: trunck and branch

BJ Freeman
Version 4.0 is the most stable.
you are correct branch is ver4.0 which is the soon to be released
official release.
the Trunk is as you say, being updated with new features. They may not
be complete.
I recommend unless you want to join the group that debugs the trunk, you
use branch ver 4.0.

it is your choice.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 11/11/2007 11:55 AM:

> Wait a minute, I'm confused.  What's in trunk again?  Not version 4 yet??  I
> have no idea what the difference between trunk and branch is, I think branch
> is for release versions, and trunk is updated continually.  I downloaded
> version4 in branch.  Should I rather take trunk?  Is trunk also verion 4?

David E Jones

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started

-David

On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Brendan Vogt wrote:

> Wait a minute, I'm confused.  What's in trunk again?  Not version 4
> yet??  I
> have no idea what the difference between trunk and branch is, I
> think branch
> is for release versions, and trunk is updated continually.  I
> downloaded
> version4 in branch.  Should I rather take trunk?  Is trunk also
> verion 4?

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment