Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

porkiey
Is there any documentation out there about deploying Ofbiz in JBoss?

Cheers

Sam Hamilton

I.T. Manager

Virtual Village Ltd

Tel: +86 (21) 5228 6231

Fax: +86 (21) 5228 8539

Mobile: +86 (135) 2451 4480

E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

Jason Porter
Not that I have found.  We may be looking at doing that at work
though.  You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
for the community as no one has replied to your message :)  As
far as I know the first step is getting all of those XML files, and
beanshell, and Java (the easy part) on the classloader.  Once you
have that in place (possibly an ear with multiple wars) you should be
getting close.

--
--Jason Porter
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.

PGP key id: 926CCFF5
PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5

Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

You may also consider content of framework/appserver but nothing directly related to JBoss though

Jacques

From: "Jason Porter" <[hidden email]>

> Not that I have found.  We may be looking at doing that at work
> though.  You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
> for the community as no one has replied to your message :)  As
> far as I know the first step is getting all of those XML files, and
> beanshell, and Java (the easy part) on the classloader.  Once you
> have that in place (possibly an ear with multiple wars) you should be
> getting close.
>
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Sam Hamilton <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there any documentation out there about deploying Ofbiz in JBoss?
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> Sam Hamilton
>>
>> I.T. Manager
>>
>> Virtual Village Ltd
>>

>> Tel: +86 (21) 5228 6231
>>
>> Fax: +86 (21) 5228 8539
>>
>> Mobile: +86 (135) 2451 4480
>>
>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>>

> --
> --Jason Porter
> Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.
>
> PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5
> PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

Torsten Schlabach-2
Hi all!

> You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
> for the community as no one has replied to your message :)

I think the question here is:

How many people would like to see it versus how many people have the capacity (time / ability) to make it happen. I would even guess that there *are* many installations like that, just maybe nobody sat down and wrote the howto for that or committed a modified build script which creates the artifacts in question.

What I know about it so far is:

- OFBiz contains a number of webapps, so it cannot live in just one WAR archive. It might be possible to create an EAR archive, though.
- I think there are some config files which are shared across webapps. I am not sure how this would fit into a typical deploy policy for any production ready hosting.

Do we have a Wiki page on that subject yet? Is there anyone who has done this and could share some dos and don'ts? Or would there any code changes be needed?

Regards,
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:15:53 +0200
> Von: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

> You may also consider content of framework/appserver but nothing directly
> related to JBoss though
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Jason Porter" <[hidden email]>
> > Not that I have found.  We may be looking at doing that at work
> > though.  You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
> > for the community as no one has replied to your message :)  As
> > far as I know the first step is getting all of those XML files, and
> > beanshell, and Java (the easy part) on the classloader.  Once you
> > have that in place (possibly an ear with multiple wars) you should be
> > getting close.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Sam Hamilton <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any documentation out there about deploying Ofbiz in JBoss?
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >>

> >> Sam Hamilton
> >>
> >> I.T. Manager
> >>
> >> Virtual Village Ltd
> >>

> >> Tel: +86 (21) 5228 6231
> >>
> >> Fax: +86 (21) 5228 8539
> >>
> >> Mobile: +86 (135) 2451 4480
> >>
> >> E-mail: [hidden email]
> >>

> > --
> > --Jason Porter
> > Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.
> >
> > PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> > PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5
> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

Maybe... Have a loot at http://docs.ofbiz.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4098

But as I said it's for Geronimo (or IBM WASCE). I guess the strategie used could be adapted to JBoss, more or less easily...

Jacques

From: "Torsten Schlabach" <[hidden email]>

> Hi all!
>
>> You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
>> for the community as no one has replied to your message :)
>
> I think the question here is:
>
> How many people would like to see it versus how many people have the capacity (time / ability) to make it happen. I would even
> guess that there *are* many installations like that, just maybe nobody sat down and wrote the howto for that or committed a
> modified build script which creates the artifacts in question.
>
> What I know about it so far is:
>
> - OFBiz contains a number of webapps, so it cannot live in just one WAR archive. It might be possible to create an EAR archive,
> though.
> - I think there are some config files which are shared across webapps. I am not sure how this would fit into a typical deploy
> policy for any production ready hosting.
>
> Do we have a Wiki page on that subject yet? Is there anyone who has done this and could share some dos and don'ts? Or would there
> any code changes be needed?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:15:53 +0200
>> Von: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss
>
>> You may also consider content of framework/appserver but nothing directly
>> related to JBoss though
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "Jason Porter" <[hidden email]>
>> > Not that I have found.  We may be looking at doing that at work
>> > though.  You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
>> > for the community as no one has replied to your message :)  As
>> > far as I know the first step is getting all of those XML files, and
>> > beanshell, and Java (the easy part) on the classloader.  Once you
>> > have that in place (possibly an ear with multiple wars) you should be
>> > getting close.

>> > --
>> > --Jason Porter
>> > Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.
>> >
>> > PGP key id: 926CCFF5
>> > PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5
>> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

RE: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

Angus Gow
We have ofbiz deployed into Websphere (Community Edition) thanks to the
work we commissioned Jacques to carry out. We have used JBoss (with
other apps in production) in the past and moved off of it due to
performance issues under the severe load we put on our applications.
Websphere looks good and lightweight and one of our sister companies
uses it in heavy duty environments with much success.

Why not consider Websphere (community edition is all apache bits and
pieces), unless you have a real pressing need to use JBoss.

There is a wiki page that Jacques put together on how to deploy.

Regards,

Angus

> You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
> for the community as no one has replied to your message :)

I think the question here is:

How many people would like to see it versus how many people have the
capacity (time / ability) to make it happen. I would even guess that
there *are* many installations like that, just maybe nobody sat down and
wrote the howto for that or committed a modified build script which
creates the artifacts in question.

What I know about it so far is:

- OFBiz contains a number of webapps, so it cannot live in just one WAR
archive. It might be possible to create an EAR archive, though.
- I think there are some config files which are shared across webapps. I
am not sure how this would fit into a typical deploy policy for any
production ready hosting.

Do we have a Wiki page on that subject yet? Is there anyone who has done
this and could share some dos and don'ts? Or would there any code
changes be needed?

Regards,
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:15:53 +0200
> Von: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

> You may also consider content of framework/appserver but nothing
directly

> related to JBoss though
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Jason Porter" <[hidden email]>
> > Not that I have found.  We may be looking at doing that at work
> > though.  You can probably guess how much this kind of thing is
> > for the community as no one has replied to your message :)  As
> > far as I know the first step is getting all of those XML files, and
> > beanshell, and Java (the easy part) on the classloader.  Once you
> > have that in place (possibly an ear with multiple wars) you should
be
> > getting close.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Sam Hamilton <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any documentation out there about deploying Ofbiz in
JBoss?

> >> Cheers
> >>

> >> Sam Hamilton
> >>
> >> I.T. Manager
> >>
> >> Virtual Village Ltd
> >>

> >> Tel: +86 (21) 5228 6231
> >>
> >> Fax: +86 (21) 5228 8539
> >>
> >> Mobile: +86 (135) 2451 4480
> >>
> >> E-mail: [hidden email]
> >>

> > --
> > --Jason Porter
> > Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.
> >
> > PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> > PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5
> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Some stuff you should know (otherwise known as a disclaimer):

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail, are those of the individual, and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. If you have received this message in error, please delete the message and any attachment(s) from your mailbox and contact I Want One of Those Ltd on [hidden email].  Thank you.

RE: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

porkiey
Thanks everyone for your replies and apologies for my slow reply (have been hiding out in the warehouse implementing ofbiz).

To be honest I don’t have any preference on how to deploy ofbiz, I am just searching for the best way to scale ofbiz beyond a couple of servers. We are looking at needing a system that can handle 1m page views a month now and 5x that in 12 months.

JBoss was tempting me with their feature of farming deployment ( http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/jboss4guide/r4/html/cluster.chapt.html )

I will certainly read more into Websphere - a brief look at their feature list is interesting.

Perhaps the quickest and cheapest solution would be Tomcat as that work has just been done.

Cheers
Sam

> [...]

> > PGP fingerprint: 64C2 C078 13A9 5B23 7738 F7E5 1046 C39B 926C CFF5
> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Some stuff you should know (otherwise known as a disclaimer):

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail, are those of the individual, and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. If you have received this message in error, please delete the message and any attachment(s) from your mailbox and contact I Want One of Those Ltd on [hidden email].  Thank you.

David E Jones

Depending on what your site looks like, chances are 5 million page
views per month will not require more than one app server with the
database and a separate web server for your content all on the same
box. In fact, our normal (super rough) deployment sizing guideline is
around 1 million page hits per _day_ per app server. You should
definitely do load testing once your initial system is built to verify
things before you put a load on the production server, but this is
really a pretty tame load.

As for scaling, say you need to handle something like 1 million page
hits in an hour with a sub-second response time for all pages (except
the super-complex ones, or those were external system calls like
credit card auths are required). In that case you may want a pair of
decent database servers running in a cluster, and a 5-10 app servers
running in a cluster of their own. To scale like that you would need
multiple server groups within the cluster that replicate session data.
For example for 6 servers you might go with 3 sets of 2 server groups
in the cluster (ie each pair of servers replicates their session data
for failover purposes).

Anyway, all of this is possible, and even easy and effective using
just Tomcat. In fact, it is really Tomcat that takes care of all of
this, and it does it well.

More to the point: JBoss and WASCE don't do any better than Tomcat...
and why? Because they both use Tomcat for their servlet container!

-David