Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Re: Dev - ASF Jira ML ?

Jacopo Cappellato
Jacques,

you are right... there is no "sign up" link in that page.
Ok, I'm going to add to the Incubator page a direct link to the Apache
Jira subscription page; by the way, here is the link:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa

Jacopo

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Hi Jacques,
>>
>> the Jira project is here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ
>>
>> Mail notifications are sent to the OFBiz dev list at Apache:
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ofbiz-dev/
>>
>> Jacopo
>
> Thanks Jacopo,
>
> I went to this page but did not see the link to subscribe (and also was
> discouraged by the  "(still not used)" on
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html)
>
> Is it possible to subscribe to  [hidden email] ?
>
> Jacques
>
>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> Is there a project or even an existing ML for Jira ASF ?
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Dev - ASF Jira ML ?

Please be patient. We haven't technically even completed the "move" over to the new Jira server yet.

Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> Just thought I'd mention that the Incubation Status page is still showing
> the jira as "still not used", and also there are no jira notifications on
> the apache dev list?
>
> Regards
> Scott

Re: Dev - ASF Jira ML ?

> Jacques,
>
> you are right... there is no "sign up" link in that page.
> Ok, I'm going to add to the Incubator page a direct link to the Apache
> Jira subscription page; by the way, here is the link:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa
>
> Jacopo

Jacopo,

I'm already registered to ASF Jira :o) I was only looking for mail, it's ok now
(did not receive any mail yet but I'm just registered to ofbiz-dev@incubator)

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> >> Hi Jacques,
> >>
> >> the Jira project is here:
> >>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ
> >>
> >> Mail notifications are sent to the OFBiz dev list at Apache:
> >>
> >> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ofbiz-dev/
> >>
> >> Jacopo
> >
> > Thanks Jacopo,
> >
> > I went to this page but did not see the link to subscribe (and also was
> > discouraged by the  "(still not used)" on
> > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html)
> >
> > Is it possible to subscribe to  [hidden email] ?
> >
> > Jacques

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

A raw nerve? Maybe so. The real issue here is managing distributed and very limited resources to try to produce something of value. That is my first priority and so has a lot to do with the tools we use for this... The wrong tool and organization will most likely kill the effort, or stifle it significantly, as has been done in the past. At this point we don't know what will work, but we know what hasn't worked or has only worked to a limited extent, so we'll just have to build on that and see where things go.

Right now the Basic Production Setup Guide is a copyrighted work that is not distributed under the Apache license or MIT license or anything. I think it would be a good idea to throw it into the mix as it would be great to get some help updating it (which is needed more now with some recent ASF motivated changes in configuration and such).

I'll see if I can do something with this tomorrow and get the current Word document onto the Confluence server, perhaps in a new space for managed administration documentation, and then I'll give you permission to edit in that space. Do you have a username on docs.ofbiz.org yet?

-David

Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The ideal is a nice thing to think about, but if we can't work together as a community with a limited ability to centralize resources, I just don't see any other way it can/will happen.
>>
>> Unless, of course, I'm totally wrong and someone has ear-marked a few hundred thousand dollars (or the equivalent in man-hours by some means) to pool the information and get it structured and formatted into a good set of documentation...
>>
>> -David
>>

>> Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>>

>>> Hi David:
>>> Like I said, I'm willing to help no matter what the final verdict is.
>>>
>>> Re: DocBook - I'm of the opinion that a publishing format is needed to
>>> structure, at least a core set of documents. This would be independent
>>> of the actual content repository or content collection/authoring tool.
>>> The DocBook "process" would take XML formatted content (I guess these
>>> are called "documents" in the XML world) - and apply DocBook stylesheets
>>> to them, rendering a certain style and format of output - usually PDF.
>>> At least, thats how I understand it works.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's just because I learned to read using books and not computer
>>> screens, but I still have a hard time following the flow of a story
>>> (whether it be how OFBiz works or "War & Peace") one web page at a
>>> time.  For short, "how to" recipes, Wikis are unbeatable. For anything
>>> more than that, my experience has been that "User Guides",
>>> "Administration Guides" and "Developer Guides" published in a book
>>> format, are much more effective.
>>>
>>> Further, IMHO, the flow and layout of a document are just as important
>>> as the content.  Logical document flow and content continuity may not
>>> seem important to developers (especially Java developers who usually
>>> build small, self contained objects that, hopefully play well with the
>>> outside world ;-), but these are really important to the following,
>>> potential OFBiz constituents: administrators, operators, and project
>>> managers.
>>>
>>> BTW, I've been thinking of putting together an "unofficial" OFBiz
>>> documentation site with some of the stuff I've written as notes for
>>> myself - maybe I'll just go ahead and do that and see how the community
>>> likes it. I really like what the Subversion people have done. Very
>>> effective documentation, publishable as web pages (HTML) and as a book.
>>> I don't know if they used DocBook, but it kind of looks like it.
>>>
>>> Just my 2 cents.
>>> Ruth

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

That is interesting...

For now I'd say we wait until this has stabilized somewhat, and use the docs.ofbiz.org server until then. There's a lot of chaos in it so far setting up spaces and getting permissions in place and such and I think the whole thing is almost fatally fragile at this point, so I'd rather not complicate it too much.

>From what I've seen in the admin tools for Confluence it shouldn't be too hard to migrate this over, unlike the difficulties we ran into with moving Jira issues around...

-David

Christian Geisert wrote:

> David E Jones schrieb:
>> David Welton wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC, the ASF has some Confluence stuff set up, if you guys would
>>> like, I can investigate.
>> It looks like certain projects are using a server that Atlassian (the maker of Confluence) hosts on behalf of Apache and other open source projects.
>>
>> That seems to be the closest thing to an "official" ASF Confluence server.
>
> No, there is http://cwiki.apache.org which should be official soon IIUC.
> I think it would be a good if the OFBiz doc (whatever) tools would run
> on offical ASF maschines.

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

I didn't do this in enough detail to get any specific number for this effort. My rough order of magnitude guess would be on the order of hundreds of hours (probably not on the order of thousands, and definitely not on the order of tens). There is also difficulty because these would be hours done by fairly skilled people.

Another issue that has come up today is that the ASF has an official Confluence server coming on line, and sooner or later we'll want to just move everything over there...

-David

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> David,
>
> Based on your analysis, how many man hours are required to get this all
> working in OFBiz?
>
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:50 -0600, David E. Jones wrote:
>> There was a bit of discussion following my message last week about the proposed new end-user and other document site using Confluence to run the site. More of the messages were more related to the tool to use to run the site. I still like the idea of using Confluence, even after briefly looking into other alternatives mentioned. It is available for free for this use, and we already having a hosting arrangement in place with people familiar with administering the software.
>>
>> There is also the potential of consolidating the documentation managed by a small group and more openly managed documentation in the same system by simply migrating the content from the existing OFBiz wiki.
>>
>> What I'm more interested in though is: is anyone interested in this enough to help with it?
>>
>> I'm basically saying that the documentation that Undersun has paid about $30k to put together and maintain can be made available for free. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this, or perhaps I wasn't clear enough about it, or perhaps people don't like the approach?
>>
>> There is a lot of work needed to reformat this to work in a different content management system because of different data structures and such. It doesn't matter which system we go to, the structures will be different. So the choices are either to extend the OFBiz content management piece (based on the work that Al Byers did a couple of years ago) to do everything we want, or just move the content to another tool.
>>
>> Both will require manual work. My opinion is that moving the content to another tool will require both less time and a far smaller skill set for whoever does it. This is based on some analysis of what would need to be developed, and on a couple of hours of manually moving content from the Undersun end-user doc site to the new OFBiz Confuence server.
>>
>> So, a few questions:
>>
>> 1. is anyone interested in using this documentation?
>> 2. is anyone interested in helping move over documentation from other sources?
>> 3. is anyone interested in spending a few hours per week to help maintain this?
>>
>> I'd like to see this move forward... It's basically free content it someone will just help move it over. The only learning is required is about how to use Confluence, and there is pretty good documentation for that. It is also very simple, being a wiki-based system. The work involves copying from a browser and pasting into the WYSIWYG text editor box, reformatting it, and also saving off images and uploading them to the new system and inserting them in the text.
>>
>> -David

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Andrew Sykes
Hans,

That sounds like an excellent synthesis of the Confluence features and
the end user requirements.

- Andrew

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 08:03 +0700, Hans Bakker wrote:

> We could think about finding a way that everyboduy works on the Confluence
> server and then have an export facility which would add this information in
> the content component and use it as a online help within OFBiz...
>
> This would be possible if every informationpiece in confluance is categorized
> by component/function and perhaps screen?
>
> Hans
>
> On Friday 02 June 2006 07:33, David E Jones wrote:
> > -1
> >
> > Then who would maintain them and how? The core committers or through
> > patches? How would people comment on them and how would that feedback get
> > into the main docs?
> >
> > -David
> >
> > Andrew Sykes wrote:
> > > Isn't that a good argument for creating help screens directly in OFBiz
> > > as Chris mentioned.

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Ruth Hoffman
Hi David:
No username.
Thanks.
Ruth

David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>However, as I see it now we'll be lucky to get a decent percentage of the functionality in OFBiz documented in _any_ format given that most people who can or want to help with this are in the same boat as you are with a desire to help here and there and put some notes in on different topics and such.

>>>The ideal is a nice thing to think about, but if we can't work together as a community with a limited ability to centralize resources, I just don't see any other way it can/will happen.
>>>
>>>Unless, of course, I'm totally wrong and someone has ear-marked a few hundred thousand dollars (or the equivalent in man-hours by some means) to pool the information and get it structured and formatted into a good set of documentation...

Re: Dev - ASF Jira ML ?

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

If we're starting to use the Apache Jira system, can we disable the
ability to create new issues on the ofbiz.org jira?

I created an issue just the other day on it, thinking the switch wasn't
quite complete

Thanks

Daniel

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 09:57 +0200, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> > Hi Jacques,
> >
> > the Jira project is here:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ
> >
> > Mail notifications are sent to the OFBiz dev list at Apache:
> >
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ofbiz-dev/
> >
> > Jacopo
>
> Thanks Jacopo,
>
> I went to this page but did not see the link to subscribe (and also was
> discouraged by the  "(still not used)" on
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html)
>
> Is it possible to subscribe to  [hidden email] ?
>
> Jacques
>

> > Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > > Is there a project or even an existing ML for Jira ASF ?
> > >
> > > Jacques

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Dev - ASF Jira ML ?

Jacopo Cappellato
Daniel,

today David has disabled the ability to create new issues. By the way
the existing issues in the old server will be managed there.

Jacopo

Ray Barlow wrote:
> I did originally visit and register on the new Confluence site and I am
> happy to help.
>
> Are you thinking of creating a page somewhere that lists what
> documentation pages need transferring and where they will end up? Then
> people can dip in pick a page, put there name against it and start work,
> basically a poor man's version control so we can keep from treading on
> each others toes.

Thanks for your interest in this Ray. I see that you have an account on the Confluence site (docs.ofbiz.org).

I think the only way we'll make any good progress with this is for a fairly small group of people to work on it who can spend a few hours each week until it's done. It doesn't take too long to figure things out in Confluence, but for consistency and to avoid to much "administrative" overhead I'd prefer to not have too many people involved.

I plan to have the organization on the Confluence site be the same as on the Undersun docs site with the content split into pages for the major sections (typically 2nd-3rd level or so in the hierarchy for the various doc trees there). For the "Manager Reference" documents it would be nice to have one Confluence page for each web page described for easy linking and such.

It would be great to get your help, especially since you've been involved with OFBiz for so long and contributed so much to the project. I just gave you create/edit permissions for the end-user documentation space. Do you have an account for the Undersun doc site? If not let me know and just send me your username on the site and I'll setup access for you.

Is there anyone else that is available to help with this? If you are and have been involved with OFBiz for a while let me know (on the list or in private is fine) and I'll set you up an account like this. If I don't know you, we'd still appreciate your help and you can add pages to the open wiki area on docs.ofbiz.org and someone will review them and move them over to the protected section.

To coordinate this work I've added a page under the Home of the OFBiz End-User Documentation space, here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/Y

Thanks again for Ray's and everyone's help with this!

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Hi David,

I'd be happy to help too, some hours each week is something I can do...

Jacques

> Ray Barlow wrote:
> > I did originally visit and register on the new Confluence site and I am
> > happy to help.
> >
> > Are you thinking of creating a page somewhere that lists what
> > documentation pages need transferring and where they will end up? Then
> > people can dip in pick a page, put there name against it and start work,
> > basically a poor man's version control so we can keep from treading on
> > each others toes.
>
> Thanks for your interest in this Ray. I see that you have an account on the
Confluence site (docs.ofbiz.org).

> I think the only way we'll make any good progress with this is for a fairly
small group of people to work on it who can spend a few hours each week until
it's done. It doesn't take too long to figure things out in Confluence, but for
consistency and to avoid to much "administrative" overhead I'd prefer to not
have too many people involved.

> I plan to have the organization on the Confluence site be the same as on the
Undersun docs site with the content split into pages for the major sections
(typically 2nd-3rd level or so in the hierarchy for the various doc trees
there). For the "Manager Reference" documents it would be nice to have one
Confluence page for each web page described for easy linking and such.

> It would be great to get your help, especially since you've been involved with
OFBiz for so long and contributed so much to the project. I just gave you
create/edit permissions for the end-user documentation space. Do you have an
account for the Undersun doc site? If not let me know and just send me your
username on the site and I'll setup access for you.

> Is there anyone else that is available to help with this? If you are and have
been involved with OFBiz for a while let me know (on the list or in private is
fine) and I'll set you up an account like this. If I don't know you, we'd still
appreciate your help and you can add pages to the open wiki area on
docs.ofbiz.org and someone will review them and move them over to the protected
section.

> To coordinate this work I've added a page under the Home of the OFBiz End-User
Documentation space, here:

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/Y
>
> Thanks again for Ray's and everyone's help with this!

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

David E. Jones

Jacques,

Okay, you're account now has create/edit permissions for the end-user docs. Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and I'll set it up for you.

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'd be happy to help too, some hours each week is something I can do...
>
> Jacques
>
>> Ray Barlow wrote:
>>> I did originally visit and register on the new Confluence site and I am
>>> happy to help.
>>>
>>> Are you thinking of creating a page somewhere that lists what
>>> documentation pages need transferring and where they will end up? Then
>>> people can dip in pick a page, put there name against it and start work,
>>> basically a poor man's version control so we can keep from treading on
>>> each others toes.
>> Thanks for your interest in this Ray. I see that you have an account on the
> Confluence site (docs.ofbiz.org).
>> I think the only way we'll make any good progress with this is for a fairly
> small group of people to work on it who can spend a few hours each week until
> it's done. It doesn't take too long to figure things out in Confluence, but for
> consistency and to avoid to much "administrative" overhead I'd prefer to not
> have too many people involved.
>> I plan to have the organization on the Confluence site be the same as on the
> Undersun docs site with the content split into pages for the major sections
> (typically 2nd-3rd level or so in the hierarchy for the various doc trees
> there). For the "Manager Reference" documents it would be nice to have one
> Confluence page for each web page described for easy linking and such.
>> It would be great to get your help, especially since you've been involved with
> OFBiz for so long and contributed so much to the project. I just gave you
> create/edit permissions for the end-user documentation space. Do you have an
> account for the Undersun doc site? If not let me know and just send me your
> username on the site and I'll setup access for you.
>> Is there anyone else that is available to help with this? If you are and have
> been involved with OFBiz for a while let me know (on the list or in private is
> fine) and I'll set you up an account like this. If I don't know you, we'd still
> appreciate your help and you can add pages to the open wiki area on
> docs.ofbiz.org and someone will review them and move them over to the protected
> section.
>> To coordinate this work I've added a page under the Home of the OFBiz End-User
> Documentation space, here:
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/Y
>>
>> Thanks again for Ray's and everyone's help with this!
>>
>> -David

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

> Jacques,
>
>Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and I'll
set it up for you.

> -David

Yes, thanks Davis you already did it.

On Undersun doc site I am able to add articles and I saw that localisation is
even possible (working?) but I don't know how to edit (if this is indeed
possible). Though editing on Confluence will eat enough of my time, I presume...

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

BTW, the localisation feature may be interesting to have in Confluence too. What
do you think ?

Jacques

> > Jacques,
> >
> >Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and I'll
> set it up for you.
> >
> > -David
>
> Yes, thanks Davis you already did it.
>
> On Undersun doc site I am able to add articles and I saw that localisation is
> even possible (working?) but I don't know how to edit (if this is indeed
> possible). Though editing on Confluence will eat enough of my time, I
presume...

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

David E. Jones
I'm not sure what you mean by this...

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> BTW, the localisation feature may be interesting to have in Confluence too. What
> do you think ?
>
> Jacques
>
>>> Jacques,
>>>
>>> Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and I'll
>> set it up for you.
>>> -David
>> Yes, thanks Davis you already did it.
>>
>> On Undersun doc site I am able to add articles and I saw that localisation is
>> even possible (working?) but I don't know how to edit (if this is indeed
>> possible). Though editing on Confluence will eat enough of my time, I
> presume...
>> Jacques

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Do you mean internationalized content on the Confluence site, or the Undersun doc site? I'm still not sure what you mean... party because you shouldn't have edit permissions on the Undersun doc site, just read-only permissions there and edit/view permissions just on the Confluence site.

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Jacques,
>>
>> Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and I'll
> set it up for you.
>> -David
>
> Yes, thanks Davis you already did it.
>
> On Undersun doc site I am able to add articles and I saw that localisation is
> even possible (working?) but I don't know how to edit (if this is indeed
> possible). Though editing on Confluence will eat enough of my time, I presume...

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

> Do you mean internationalized content on the Confluence site, or the Undersun
doc site? I'm still not sure what you mean... party because you shouldn't have
edit permissions on the Undersun doc site, just read-only permissions there and
edit/view permissions just on the Confluence site.

> -David

I was meaning internationalized content on the Confluence site. I have no edit
permission on Undersun doc site, but by chance I used the "Add' button that lets
me see that there is an i18n option in Undersun doc site.

Jacques

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> >> Jacques,
> >>
> >> Do have access to the Undersun doc site? If not send me your account and
I'll
> > set it up for you.
> >> -David
> >
> > Yes, thanks Davis you already did it.
> >
> > On Undersun doc site I am able to add articles and I saw that localisation
is
> > even possible (working?) but I don't know how to edit (if this is indeed
> > possible). Though editing on Confluence will eat enough of my time, I
presume...

> > Jacques

Re: Dev - Any interest in End-User and other documentation?

Ruth Hoffman
Hi David,
If you would set me up with an account, I'd be happy to help.
TIA
Ruth

Dev - libraries and supporting code

BJ Freeman
I believe this has been eluded to but not directly addressed.

in regards to the coding that supported by libraries that can not be
included in ofbiz, will the code stay in ofbiz with a note about getting
the libraries from their source?
Is there another solution that lets ofbiz have features supported by
libraries that can not be included, because of licensing.