Dev - Best way to change the license header from MIT to ASL2.0

Dev - Best way to change the license header from MIT to ASL2.0

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

I think it's time to seriously start to discuss the best strategy to
change the license header of all the OFBiz's files from MIT to ASL2.0

Should we do this manually or using a script? (there is a script at
Apache that can be used, with s a few mods, for this).

Currently, there are a few components (that I'm aware of) with all their
files already updated with the Apache license:

applications/manufacturing
applications/pos
framework/example (I suppose)

I know that we cannot change immediately all the OFBiz's files because
we are still waiting for a few iCLAs from our contributors; however,
I've reviewed some of the components' log history and we could do the
switch for the following two:

applications/marketing
applications/securityext

Any volunteers?

Re: Dev - Best way to change the license header from MIT to ASL2.0

Scott Gray
Hi Jacopo

If it's just some hard labour you need done i'm happy to help.

Regards
Scott

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it's time to seriously start to discuss the best strategy to
> change the license header of all the OFBiz's files from MIT to ASL2.0
>
> Should we do this manually or using a script? (there is a script at
> Apache that can be used, with s a few mods, for this).
>
> Currently, there are a few components (that I'm aware of) with all their
> files already updated with the Apache license:
>
> applications/manufacturing
> applications/pos
> framework/example (I suppose)
>
> I know that we cannot change immediately all the OFBiz's files because
> we are still waiting for a few iCLAs from our contributors; however,
> I've reviewed some of the components' log history and we could do the
> switch for the following two:
>
> applications/marketing
> applications/securityext
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Dev - Best way to change the license header from MIT to ASL2.0

Vinay Agarwal
Jacopo,

I use global search/replace in such situations. There are only 4-5 different
headers for different file types and even if there are some inadvertent
variations in some of those headers, it shouldn't be hard to do. I can't
remember if NetBeans or Eclipse support global s/r but my visual studio
certainly does. It shouldn't take more than half hour to get it done.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Dev - Best way to change the license header from MIT to ASL2.0

Yes, something that can do a multi-line search and replace would certainly speed things up. We still have to review every file to catch variations not caught by the S&R, and do another S&R based on that or just change them manually if there aren't very many. Some people do have auto-formatters turned on in their editors (even though they are a very bad idea as they cause all sorts of formatting only line changes mixed in with functionality changes) that can cause these sorts of consistency problems, so it is something that will come up.

As far as what to work on for now: it's great that the marketing and securityext components are ready to go. We could use a volunteer for each or both of these. If the person working on them doesn't have commit access they should make the changes and submit a patch with them just like with anything else.

Hopefully in the near future, which we are getting quite close to, we'll have sufficient CLAs on file to make a list of files that we can't change over and then just change all of the rest. In other words we can approach this from an exclusion instead of inclusion exception and get a lot of stuff to move over identified without so much svn log review effort.

-David