Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Hello All:
I recently completed some work that involved using DWR (Ajax toolkit -
http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr) and OFBiz. This effort got me thinking that
maybe the OFBiz development community might be interested in discussing
this in more depth. I 've attached a short proposal/write up. Maybe
those who are interested in this topic can take a look.

Question: does a tighter integration of OFBiz and DWR make sense? Anyone
care or have an opinion? I don't even know where to start on this, but
I'd be interested in discussing if others are.

Regards,
Ruth Hoffman

OFBizFeatureReq.doc (60K) Download Attachment

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

> I recently completed some work that involved using DWR (Ajax toolkit -
> http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr) and OFBiz. This effort got me thinking that
> maybe the OFBiz development community might be interested in discussing
> this in more depth. I 've attached a short proposal/write up. Maybe
> those who are interested in this topic can take a look.
>
> Question: does a tighter integration of OFBiz and DWR make sense? Anyone
> care or have an opinion? I don't even know where to start on this, but
> I'd be interested in discussing if others are.

At first glance, seems very interesting but sorry have no more time to look at
it... Hope someone will

Jacques

> Regards,
> Ruth Hoffman

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Andrew Sykes
Ruth,

Have you compared DWR to other technologies? what was the rationale
behind the choice?

I've recently been looking at OpenRico any evaluative comparisons
between these two would be particularly interesting.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

> Have you compared DWR to other technologies? what was the rationale
> behind the choice?
>
> I've recently been looking at OpenRico any evaluative comparisons
> between these two would be particularly interesting.

May also OpenRico allows to use JavaBeans so easily ?

Jacques

> Kind Regards
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd
> http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Andrew Sykes
Jacques,

No, as far as I'm aware it doesn't allow this, but I'm also not all that
sure that this is necessary.

It would be easy enough to create a Rico request handler in much the
same way as the SOAP request handler and just use this to issue requests
to the relevant service.

So, it would work something like this...
Rico issues request to...
/somewhere/ricohandler?service=getSomeData&someDataId=1000

handler returns data that looks like...
<ajax-response>
        <response type="object" id="htmlIdWhereThisDataWillGo">
                <someData someDataId="1000" someDataType="SOMETHING"
someDataStatus="DOING_STUFF" />
        </response>
</ajax-response>

This is the format that rico expects and of course will be familiar to
anyone who has looked at an OFBiz data file.

Rico also has the concept of a "LiveGrid" i.e. a HTML table with a
scrollbar that only requests a displayable sub-set of the data (plus
some caching), it seems like this would be relatively simple to add into
the widget as an option to the standard HTML table.

This is the reason I say I'm not sure anything more complex is
necessary, although I'm not convinced of this as I've only had a quick
read through Ruth's doc, hopefully she can counter some of these points.

The one other thing that I like about Rico, is it's focus seems to be
exactly where I'd want an AJAX technology to have it's focus i.e.
getting all the javascript stuff as solid as possible, in the past I
worked a lot with javascript, and I can assure you, that kind of stuff
is far from trivial when you are looking for robust/efficient cross
browser support especially as MS seem hell-bent on rewriting the
standard. I guess the question is how widely adopted the two
technologies are and therefore how likely is it that bugs will be fixed.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Hi Andrew:
Yes, I also used OpenRico. For specific Java/method oriented data
exchanges, DWR is much more flexible. I did use OpenRico for some
special effects (like the Accordian "thingy". Really cool for doing DOM
manipulation once you get the data to your web page. I have not written
up any evaluation of OpenRico.

Ruth

Andrew Sykes wrote:

>Ruth,
>
>Have you compared DWR to other technologies? what was the rationale
>behind the choice?
>
>I've recently been looking at OpenRico any evaluative comparisons
>between these two would be particularly interesting.

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Jacques:
I'm hardly an expert, but I think the answer to that is no, OpenRico is
more DOM/web page oriented vs. getting the data to/from the page. The
two packages coexist nicely, however.
Ruth

Andrew Sykes wrote:

>Jacques,
>
>No, as far as I'm aware it doesn't allow this, but I'm also not all that
>sure that this is necessary.
>
>It would be easy enough to create a Rico request handler in much the
>same way as the SOAP request handler and just use this to issue requests
>to the relevant service.
>
>So, it would work something like this...
>Rico issues request to...
>/somewhere/ricohandler?service=getSomeData&someDataId=1000
>
>handler returns data that looks like...
><ajax-response>
> <response type="object" id="htmlIdWhereThisDataWillGo">
> <someData someDataId="1000" someDataType="SOMETHING"
>someDataStatus="DOING_STUFF" />
> </response>
></ajax-response>
>
>This is the format that rico expects and of course will be familiar to
>anyone who has looked at an OFBiz data file.
>
>Rico also has the concept of a "LiveGrid" i.e. a HTML table with a
>scrollbar that only requests a displayable sub-set of the data (plus
>some caching), it seems like this would be relatively simple to add into
>the widget as an option to the standard HTML table.

I wasn't able to get the LiveGrid to work with my data. Admittedly, I
didn't try too hard, so this may have just been a lack of motivation on
my part - since DWR did everything I needed (except for the accordian
feature.) I'll go back and look at how I used OpenRico - I haven't been
working on any of this stuff  for about a month and I've forgotten much
of the details...I'll get back to you on this...

>This is the reason I say I'm not sure anything more complex is
>necessary, although I'm not convinced of this as I've only had a quick
>read through Ruth's doc, hopefully she can counter some of these points.
>
>The one other thing that I like about Rico, is it's focus seems to be
>exactly where I'd want an AJAX technology to have it's focus i.e.
>getting all the javascript stuff as solid as possible, in the past I
>worked a lot with javascript, and I can assure you, that kind of stuff
>is far from trivial when you are looking for robust/efficient cross
>browser support especially as MS seem hell-bent on rewriting the
>standard. I guess the question is how widely adopted the two
>technologies are and therefore how likely is it that bugs will be fixed.

Seems like they can co-exist without OFBiz having to lock into one or
the other. Again, I will go back and review why I chose to use DWR vs.
OpenRico in certain cases. I'll keep ya posted. BTW, I also looked at
"scriptaculous" (http://script.aculo.us/) and  "qooxdoo"
(http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/)

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

> I'm hardly an expert, but I think the answer to that is no, OpenRico is
> more DOM/web page oriented vs. getting the data to/from the page. The
> two packages coexist nicely, however.
> Ruth

Thanks Ruth,

Jacques

be issues with the LiveGrid, some of the specifics seemed a little
vague, hopefully they will fix this soon.

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 10:41 -0600, Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> Andrew Sykes wrote:
>
> >Jacques,
> >
> >No, as far as I'm aware it doesn't allow this, but I'm also not all that
> >sure that this is necessary.
> >
> >It would be easy enough to create a Rico request handler in much the
> >same way as the SOAP request handler and just use this to issue requests
> >to the relevant service.
> >
> >So, it would work something like this...
> >Rico issues request to...
> >/somewhere/ricohandler?service=getSomeData&someDataId=1000
> >
> >handler returns data that looks like...
> ><ajax-response>
> > <response type="object" id="htmlIdWhereThisDataWillGo">
> > <someData someDataId="1000" someDataType="SOMETHING"
> >someDataStatus="DOING_STUFF" />
> > </response>
> ></ajax-response>
> >
> >This is the format that rico expects and of course will be familiar to
> >anyone who has looked at an OFBiz data file.
> >
> >Rico also has the concept of a "LiveGrid" i.e. a HTML table with a
> >scrollbar that only requests a displayable sub-set of the data (plus
> >some caching), it seems like this would be relatively simple to add into
> >the widget as an option to the standard HTML table.
> >

> I wasn't able to get the LiveGrid to work with my data. Admittedly, I
> didn't try too hard, so this may have just been a lack of motivation on
> my part - since DWR did everything I needed (except for the accordian
> feature.) I'll go back and look at how I used OpenRico - I haven't been
> working on any of this stuff  for about a month and I've forgotten much
> of the details...I'll get back to you on this...
>
> >This is the reason I say I'm not sure anything more complex is
> >necessary, although I'm not convinced of this as I've only had a quick
> >read through Ruth's doc, hopefully she can counter some of these points.
> >
> >The one other thing that I like about Rico, is it's focus seems to be
> >exactly where I'd want an AJAX technology to have it's focus i.e.
> >getting all the javascript stuff as solid as possible, in the past I
> >worked a lot with javascript, and I can assure you, that kind of stuff
> >is far from trivial when you are looking for robust/efficient cross
> >browser support especially as MS seem hell-bent on rewriting the
> >standard. I guess the question is how widely adopted the two
> >technologies are and therefore how likely is it that bugs will be fixed.
> >

> Seems like they can co-exist without OFBiz having to lock into one or
> the other. Again, I will go back and review why I chose to use DWR vs.
> OpenRico in certain cases. I'll keep ya posted. BTW, I also looked at
> "scriptaculous" (http://script.aculo.us/) and  "qooxdoo"
> (http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/)

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Andrew:
Agreed. Seems like it might be a nice feature to have in the 'ole toolkit.

Ruth

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> [...]
>>>exactly where I'd want an AJAX technology to have it's focus i.e.
>>>getting all the javascript stuff as solid as possible, in the past I
>>>worked a lot with javascript, and I can assure you, that kind of stuff
>>>is far from trivial when you are looking for robust/efficient cross
>>>browser support especially as MS seem hell-bent on rewriting the
>>>standard. I guess the question is how widely adopted the two
>>>technologies are and therefore how likely is it that bugs will be fixed.
>>>

>>Seems like they can co-exist without OFBiz having to lock into one or
>>the other. Again, I will go back and review why I chose to use DWR vs.
>>OpenRico in certain cases. I'll keep ya posted. BTW, I also looked at
>>"scriptaculous" (http://script.aculo.us/) and  "qooxdoo"
>>(http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/)

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Can you explain in a little more detail why you think the DWR route is
better than simply creating a handler that can route requests to a
specific service as I suggested previously.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get my
head around the advantage that DWR provides...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Hi Andrew:
Let me think on this a bit...I'll get back to you in a few days.

Ruth

Andrew Sykes wrote:

>Ruth,
>
>Can you explain in a little more detail why you think the DWR route is
>better than simply creating a handler that can route requests to a
>specific service as I suggested previously.
>
>Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get my
>head around the advantage that DWR provides...

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

One way or another the AJAX requests coming in from the browser need
to be processed and logic run and the results returned. How we do
that is still up in the air. I guess DWR uses a servlet by default,
but we would need to wrap it some way so that the services to be used
can be configured just like in the Control Servlet, in fact it should
go trough the Control Servlet.

-David

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Ruth,
>
> Can you explain in a little more detail why you think the DWR route is
> better than simply creating a handler that can route requests to a
> specific service as I suggested previously.
>
> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get my
> head around the advantage that DWR provides...
> --
> Kind Regards
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd
> http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Brett
We are looking at a similar solution with Laszlo
(http://www.openlaszlo.org).  One thing that would help is if we could
define a common XML format that would be returned from the Control
Servlet.  The Control Servlet then becomes more of a security monitor
than a model-view-controller since the view is essentially done on the
client.

Here are some other AJAX projects in various levels of development:

http://cpaint.booleansystems.com/
http://openrico.org/rico/home.page
http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/
http://www.tersus.org/
http://glm-ajax.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajax-simple

I think one key component that we need to address is developing widget
based components that developers can easily integrate into ofbiz
applications.  So far the only web based UI that I have found easy to
integrate with ofbiz is the ofbiz Screen Widgets.  I think Screen
widgets work very well at quickly getting functionality working.

I think Laszlo is another technology that could be used to create
custom widgets that  could be easily reused.  As I mentioned we are
just starting to investigate this technology.  I will keep the group
posted on what we find.

Brett

On 2/8/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One way or another the AJAX requests coming in from the browser need
> to be processed and logic run and the results returned. How we do
> that is still up in the air. I guess DWR uses a servlet by default,
> but we would need to wrap it some way so that the services to be used
> can be configured just like in the Control Servlet, in fact it should
> go trough the Control Servlet.
>
> -David
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Andrew Sykes wrote:
>
> > Ruth,
> >
> > Can you explain in a little more detail why you think the DWR route is
> > better than simply creating a handler that can route requests to a
> > specific service as I suggested previously.
> >
> > Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get my
> > head around the advantage that DWR provides...
> > --
> > Kind Regards
> > Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> > Sykes Development Ltd
> > http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Ruth Hoffman
Hi Brett:
I also played around with Openlaszlo and QooXdoo
(http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/). I couldn't figure out how to embed
these in OFBiz pages. Seemed like in both cases it was either do the
entire page in OpenLaszlo/QooXdoo or with OFBiz. There was no way to,
say build a page template with a header and footer using OFBiz and then
embed a content section built using one of these tools. Is that what you
found? Or did I not try hard enough? (Because I really liked both of
these tools.)

TIA
Ruth
Brett Palmer wrote:

>We are looking at a similar solution with Laszlo
>(http://www.openlaszlo.org).  One thing that would help is if we could
>define a common XML format that would be returned from the Control
>Servlet.  The Control Servlet then becomes more of a security monitor
>than a model-view-controller since the view is essentially done on the
>client.
>
>Here are some other AJAX projects in various levels of development:
>
>http://cpaint.booleansystems.com/
>http://openrico.org/rico/home.page
>http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/
>http://www.tersus.org/
>http://glm-ajax.sourceforge.net/
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajax-simple
>

>I think one key component that we need to address is developing widget
>based components that developers can easily integrate into ofbiz
>applications.  So far the only web based UI that I have found easy to
>integrate with ofbiz is the ofbiz Screen Widgets.  I think Screen
>widgets work very well at quickly getting functionality working.
>
>I think Laszlo is another technology that could be used to create
>custom widgets that  could be easily reused.  As I mentioned we are
>just starting to investigate this technology.  I will keep the group
>posted on what we find.
>

>Brett
>

>On 2/8/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>One way or another the AJAX requests coming in from the browser need
>>to be processed and logic run and the results returned. How we do
>>that is still up in the air. I guess DWR uses a servlet by default,
>>but we would need to wrap it some way so that the services to be used
>>can be configured just like in the Control Servlet, in fact it should
>>go trough the Control Servlet.
>>
>>-David
>>

>>On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Andrew Sykes wrote:
>>

>>>Ruth,
>>>
>>>Can you explain in a little more detail why you think the DWR route is
>>>better than simply creating a handler that can route requests to a
>>>specific service as I suggested previously.
>>>
>>>Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just trying to get my
>>>head around the advantage that DWR provides...
>>>--
>>>Kind Regards
>>>Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
>>>Sykes Development Ltd
>>>http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

davidnwelton
On 2/12/06, Ruth Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Brett:
> I also played around with Openlaszlo and QooXdoo
> (http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/). I couldn't figure out how to embed
> these in OFBiz pages. Seemed like in both cases it was either do the
> entire page in OpenLaszlo/QooXdoo or with OFBiz. There was no way to,
> say build a page template with a header and footer using OFBiz and then
> embed a content section built using one of these tools. Is that what you
> found? Or did I not try hard enough? (Because I really liked both of
> these tools.)

I saw this come through the Incubator mailing list at the ASF.  I have
no idea whether it's a good fit for OFBiz, though:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KabukiProposal

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Andrew Sykes
Brett,

When you suggest "we could define a common XML format" for the AJAX
stuff, wouldn't this mean each integration would have to have a chunk of
javascript to translate to the form it expected?

If that was the case, is there any debate over what this format should
be, i.e. shouldn't it just follow the standard entity XML format?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

BJ Freeman
I know this is sort of off the wall, I use and tool that converts the
XML created by my WYSIWYG tool to ofbiz widgets.

Actuatlly it is a generic XML conversion tool. it requires the input and
and conversion XML which generates the output XML.

i also use it to convert non ofbiz xml files that I have to import.

Andrew Sykes sent the following on 2/12/06 1:33 PM:
> Brett,
>
> When you suggest "we could define a common XML format" for the AJAX
> stuff, wouldn't this mean each integration would have to have a chunk of
> javascript to translate to the form it expected?
>
> If that was the case, is there any debate over what this format should
> be, i.e. shouldn't it just follow the standard entity XML format?

Re: Dev - Discuss possible integration with DWR

Vinay Agarwal
Bjfree (sorry don't know your name),
I am very interested in knowing what tools you use for WYSIWYG design and
then to convert of OFBiz widgets. I have been looking around but haven't
found a good solution yet.
Vinay Agarwal