Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

Manuel Meyer
Hi all,

It can happen that, sometimes, even if under the hood the engine is really
great, people are a bit disappointed by the external look of the e-commerce
application, especially under IE6, where it happens do be really broken.
I've asked a friend of mine to build a little prototype in order to make the
front look less like an 'engineer's site :-) and the result is at
http://www.telaside.com/ofbiz/home.htm.

Do you think that the redesign the e-commerce part could be a good idea?
And in that case, do you think that this pattern could be a good starting
point?

Best regards,
Manuel

RE: Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

Jean-Sebastien Hederer-2
RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

I think this could be a good idea.

JSH

RE: Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

David Garrett
Manuel,

The UI is a good alternative.

I think there are many different UIs that people may want.

My view is that it would be very powerful (more powerful) to creat a theme
mechanism which would be able to allow a variety of alternate look and
feels.

Products I have used with this capability include Oscommerce and Xaraya CMS
but there are many ofther products with this ability.

If you were able to create a theme mechanism then we could have a theme
competition which may inspire many designers to create a range of UI
options.

David G

Re: Dev - Front office e-commerce new interface

Si Chen-2
Manuel,

I think this is really nice. Can your interface be implemented through a
different set of CSS? I would be very happy to have a few different CSS
styles that can ship with OFBiz and give the default applications
different looks. I think this is becoming a standard feature of
web-based applications.

One way it could work is to introduce a .properties file propertie that
has the name of the CSS and then change the ecommerce application to use
that CSS. Alternatively, we can change the web.xml.

I wonder if anyone else has thoughts along these lines?

Si

David Garrett wrote:

>Manuel,
>
>The UI is a good alternative.
>
>I think there are many different UIs that people may want.
>
>My view is that it would be very powerful (more powerful) to creat a theme
>mechanism which would be able to allow a variety of alternate look and
>feels.
>
>Products I have used with this capability include Oscommerce and Xaraya CMS
>but there are many ofther products with this ability.
>
>If you were able to create a theme mechanism then we could have a theme
>competition which may inspire many designers to create a range of UI
>options.
>
>David G

Ray Barlow
Manuel,

I think the idea of having a better look and feel to the ecommerce is
welcome by all and the ground work was started some 10 months ago on
cleaning up some of the tables and CSS usage within the framework to
make it easier to customise the UI. Unfortunately it is not quite
finished as there has been little input from individuals with good
skills in the tricky/quirky area of differing browser standards.

The current ecommerce is broken in IE6 for the above reason, although
our designer did improve a testing version last week in a few screens
which we will hopefully get around to submitting in the next month.

I notice your sample heavily uses tables, is this because it's easier
for the designer whilst playing with a sample or is it your proposed
structure? Certainly the project is moving away from tables to manage
the layout i.e. view the source of
http://test.opentravelsystem.org/ecommerce/control/main and you'll not
find one <table> tag.

Your prototype does look nice and I think a few samples to go with the
project would be great.

Ray