Dev - Fw: Info about pos jars

At Jacopo's demand...

Thanks, but this is perhaps no so important and if nobody care (have time to
look at it) I will ripp it of svn without any problem...

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> Hi Jacques,
>
> sorry but you are asking this question to the wrong person! :-)
> I really dislike dealing with license stuff and so I think it would be
> probably better if you could post your doubts to the dev list.
>
> Have a great weekend,
>
> Jacopo
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > Hi Jacopo,
> >
> > OK, done. To be clear and to have your opinion here is the complete licence
:

> >  1. License
> > EPSON grants you a personal, nonexclusive, royalty-free, non-sublicensable
> > limited license to install and use the Software (as defined below) on any
single
> > computer, or any replacement for that computer. You may also make copies of
the
> > Soft ware as necessary for backup and archival purposes, provided that the
> > copyright notice is reproduced in its entirety on the backup copy. The term
> > "Software" shall include the software components, media, all copies made by
you
> > and any upgrades, modified versions, updates, additions and copies of the
> > Software licensed to you by EPSON. EPSON and its suppliers reserve all
rights
> > not granted herein.
> > [Software]
> >
> > Name: EPSON JavaPOS ADK Ver.1.80W
> > Name: EPSON JavaPOS ADK for documentaition package
> >
> > 2. Other Rights and Limitations
> > You agree not to modify, adapt or translate the Software. You also agree not
> > attempt to reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to
disc
> > over the source code of the Software. You may not share, rent, lease,
transfer,
> > encumber, sublicense or lend the Software. You may, however, distribute the
> > Software only to third parties who purchase from you EPSON products or
> > application software for EPSON products, only when the Customers agree to
the
> > terms and condition of this Agreement.
> > 3. Ownership
> > Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the
Software
> > and any copies thereof shall remain with EPSON. There is no transfer to you
of
> > any title to or ownership of the Software and this License shall not be
> > construed as a sale of any rights in the Software. The Software is protected
by
> > Japanese Copyright Law and international copyright treaties, as well as
other
> > intellectual property laws and treaties. Except as otherwise provided in
this
> > Agreement, you may not copy the Software. You also agree not to remove or
alter
> > any copyright and other proprietary notices on any copies of the Software.
> > 4. Protection and Security
> > You agree to take all reasonable steps to safeguard the Software to ensure
that
> > no unauthorized person has access to them and that no unauthorized copy,
> > publication, disclosure or distribution of any of the Software is made. You
> > acknowledge that the Software contains valuable, confidential information
and
> > trade secrets, that unauthorized use and copying are harmful to EPSON, and
that
> > you have a confidentiality obligation as to such valuable information and
trade
> > secrets. This Article shall survive for a period of five (5) years from the
date
> > of termination of this Agreement.
> > 5. Warranty Disclaimer
> > You acknowledge and agree that the use of the Software is at your sole risk.
THE
> > SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING
> > WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> > PURPOSE AND/OR NON-INFINGEMENT OF THE RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES (INCLUDING
WITHOUT
> > LIMITATION RIGHTS UNDER PATENT, COPYRIGHT AND TRADE SECRETS). FURTHER, EPSON
> > DOES NOT WARRANT, GUARANTEE, OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS (A) THAT THE
SOFTWARE
> > WILL BE FREE FROM BUGS OR ERRORS, OR (B) THAT YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE WILL
BE
> > UNINTERRUPTED, OR (C) THE SOFTWARE'S PERFORMANCE OR RESULTS, OR (D) THAT ANY
> > DOCUMENTATION IS CORRECT, ACCURATE OR RELIABLE.
> > Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or
> > limitations, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
> > 6. Exclusion of Indirect Damages
> > IN NO EVENT SHALL EPSON BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY WITH RESPCT TO
ANY
> > SUBJECT MATTER OR THIS AGREEMENT WHETER ARISING UNDER CONTRACT, TORT
(INCLUDING
> > NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABLITY, BREACH OF WARRANTY, OF MISREPRESENTATION FOR
ANY
> > DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> > LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFITS; OR ANY MATTER BEYOND EPSON'S REASONABLE
CONTROL.
> > Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of direct or
> > indirect damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
> > 7. Termination
> > Without prejudice to any other rights EPSON has, this Agreement shall
> > automatically terminate upon failure by you to comply with its terms. Within
> > thirty (30) days after termination, you shall delete, and cease to use, the
> > Software and any copies thereof from all hardware. You may also terminate
this
> > Agreement at any time by uninstalling and destroying the Software and all
copies
> > thereof.
> > 8. Export Restriction
> > You agree not to transfer, export or re-export the Software and any data or
> > information which you obtained from EPSON or use the Software without a
proper
> > license under applicable Japanese laws, restrictions and regulations, or the
> > applicable laws of the jurisdiction in which the Software is obtained.
> > 9. General Provisions
> > This Agreement shall be governed and construed under by the laws of Japan
> > without regard to its conflicts of law rules.
> > This Agreement is the entire agreement between the parties with respect to
the
> > Software, and supersedes any purchase order, communication, advertisement,
or
> > representation concerning the Software.
> > This Agreement shall be binding upon, and inure to the benefit of, the
parties
> > hereto and their respective successors, assigns and legal representatives.
> > If any provision or portion thereof shall be unenforceable or invalid under
any
> > applicable law, then this Agreement shall not be rendered unenforceable or
> > invalid as a whole, and such provision or portion thereof shall be changed
> > the minimum extent possible and interpreted so as to best accomplish the
> > objectives of such unenforceable or invalid provision or portion thereof
within
> > the limits of applicable law.
> > This Agreement may only be modified in writing signed by an authorized
officer
> > of EPSON; provided that, EPSON shall be entitled to modify this Agreement at
any
> > time, with or without notice to you. If you do not agree to such
modifications,
> > you may terminate this Agreement pursuant to Section 7 above.
> > Any dispute brought by you relating to or arising out of this Agreement,
which
> > cannot be resolved through mutual negotiation, shall be subject to
arbitration
> > in Tokyo, Japan in accordance with the Rules of the Japan Commercial
Arbitration
> > Association. You must file said arbitration no later than six (6) months
from
> > the date the dispute arose.
> > 10. U.S. Government End Users
> > If you are acquiring the Software on behalf of any unit or agency of the
United
> > States Government, the following provisions apply. The Government agrees:
> > (i) if the Software is supplied to the Department of Defense (DoD), the
Software
> > is classified as "Commercial Computer Software" and the Government is
acquiring
> > only "restricted rights" in the Software and its documentation as that term
is
> > defined in Clause 252.227-7013(c)(1) of the DFARS; and
> > (ii) if the Software is supplied to any unit or agency of the United States
> > Government other than DoD, the Government's rights in the Software and its
> > documentation will be as defined in Clause 52.227-19(c)(2) of the FAR or, in
the

> > case of NASA, in Clause 18-52.227-86(d) of the NASA supplement to the FAR.
> >

> > EPSON JavaPOS ADK Ver.1.80W
> > File Name:EPSON_JPOS_ADK_180W.exe - File Size:4,675KB
> >
> > Do you think it's OK ? Else I may ripp it off the repository...
> >
> > Jacques

Re: Dev - Fw: Info about pos jars

David E. Jones

Jacques,

Yeah, this license looks a little sketchy and isn't really an open source license. It would be better if the information about this was added to the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file and then remove the jar file(s) and change the build.xml file to not compile classes that depend on them (refactoring to isolate the specific parts of classes if needed).

If you could look at this soon that would be great as we hope to move to the ASF SVN server very soon...

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> [...]
>>> (i) if the Software is supplied to the Department of Defense (DoD), the
> Software
>>> is classified as "Commercial Computer Software" and the Government is
> acquiring
>>> only "restricted rights" in the Software and its documentation as that term
> is
>>> defined in Clause 252.227-7013(c)(1) of the DFARS; and
>>> (ii) if the Software is supplied to any unit or agency of the United States
>>> Government other than DoD, the Government's rights in the Software and its
>>> documentation will be as defined in Clause 52.227-19(c)(2) of the FAR or, in
> the
>>> case of NASA, in Clause 18-52.227-86(d) of the NASA supplement to the FAR.
>>>

>>> EPSON JavaPOS ADK Ver.1.80W
>>> File Name:EPSON_JPOS_ADK_180W.exe - File Size:4,675KB
>>>
>>> Do you think it's OK ? Else I may ripp it off the repository...

Re: Dev - Fw: Info about pos jars

> Jacques,
>
> Yeah, this license looks a little sketchy and isn't really an open source
license. It would be better if the information about this was added to the
OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file and then remove the jar file(s) and change the build.xml
file to not compile classes that depend on them (refactoring to isolate the
specific parts of classes if needed).

> If you could look at this soon that would be great as we hope to move to the
ASF SVN server very soon...

> -David

OK David,

 I will dot it tomorow (hopefully at least this week) and I will do the
same for the Star printer and such if any...

Jacques