Dev - OLAP in OFBiz

Ivan Alfredo Mendoza
Hello
I am new to OfBiz and I am still learning the framework.  So far now
I've only completed the eCommerce module traslation to Latin American
Spanish and have few plans for implementing it as soon as I have more
free time from classes and other projects.

So, as I am taking a database course (graduate level) a friend and I
decided to wite an OLAP module using Mondrian (somewhat following Mr
Oleg Kozyrev's idea in http://jira.ofbiz.org/browse/OFBIZ-719), but we
have two important questions to ask the community.

1) Can we obtain a dataset (a whole pile of data to seed OFBiz) to
make feasible OLAP analysis and tests?

2) what topics (database tables or columns) would you consider
relevant when thinking of a desing of OLAP on OFBiz?...Maybe 2 or
3...Our project, for now would only be a prototype and, for now will
be hosted in http://ofbiz.estudiobasico.com

Thank you very much

Re: Dev - OLAP in OFBiz

BJ Freeman
I have worked with OLAP with MS-SQL server. Wrote an application to
provide a corporation with OLAP across Data farms, in VB, to interface
with Excel.

Ofbiz is not a database. that is a underlying function.
you will have to write a bridge to ofbiz view services in ofbiz to
provide the equivalent of OLAP functionality.

I suggest you look at the entities in webtools for data layout.
then make a bridge between openoffice spreadsheet and ofbiz views.
Maybe make a new entity that store the OLAP configurations so it is dynamic.

Ivan Alfredo Mendoza sent the following on 5/27/2006 12:32 PM:

> Hello
> I am new to OfBiz and I am still learning the framework.  So far now
> I've only completed the eCommerce module traslation to Latin American
> Spanish and have few plans for implementing it as soon as I have more
> free time from classes and other projects.
>
> So, as I am taking a database course (graduate level) a friend and I
> decided to wite an OLAP module using Mondrian (somewhat following Mr
> Oleg Kozyrev's idea in http://jira.ofbiz.org/browse/OFBIZ-719), but we
> have two important questions to ask the community.
>
> 1) Can we obtain a dataset (a whole pile of data to seed OFBiz) to
> make feasible OLAP analysis and tests?
>
> 2) what topics (database tables or columns) would you consider
> relevant when thinking of a desing of OLAP on OFBiz?...Maybe 2 or
> 3...Our project, for now would only be a prototype and, for now will
> be hosted in http://ofbiz.estudiobasico.com
>

> Thank you very much

Re: Dev - OLAP in OFBiz

BJ Freeman
Just as ofbiz converts it entities to query the database.
you could provide a way to covert cube entities (new entity for ofbiz)
This would be a new work, and if you license ASF, it can be included and
would make ofbiz very powerful.
Just a thought.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 5/27/2006 3:21 PM: