Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

Scott Gray

Hi All

I’m trying to convert the EditProductStorePaySetup screen to widgets, but I’m having trouble trying

to figure out how I can create and edit using the same screen & form (the current ftl seems to have

the same problem but I could fix that in the bsh script).

This is what I want to be able to do:

  1. Create new entities by default
  2. Edit an entity when the edit link is clicked from the table

This is working at the moment but a created entity reloads into the form instead of a blank form.

How can I get an entity to load for editing only?

I’ve attached the patch for what I’ve done, could someone have a look when you get a chance?

Thanks

Scott

EditProductStorePaySetup.patch (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

David E. Jones

You should probably follow the best practices patterns for OFBiz to handle this sort of this. Check out the new framework overview training videos that can now be downloaded from ofbiz.org.

-David

Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi All
>

> I’m trying to convert the EditProductStorePaySetup screen to widgets,
> but I’m having trouble trying
>
> to figure out how I can create and edit using the same screen & form
> (the current ftl seems to have
>
> the same problem but I could fix that in the bsh script).
>

> This is what I want to be able to do:
>
>    1. Create new entities by default
>    2. Edit an entity when the edit link is clicked from the table
>

> This is working at the moment but a created entity reloads into the form
> instead of a blank form.
>
> How can I get an entity to load for editing only?
>

> I’ve attached the patch for what I’ve done, could someone have a look
> when you get a chance?
>

> Thanks
>
> Scott

Re: Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

Scott Gray
Ok I watched video no.7 and noted the following...

I can either:
1. List entities on one screen and create/edit on another?
2. Use one screen but use the multi-submit form to list/edit and use another
form to create?

I wanted to use one screen but list on one form and create/edit on another.
Is this not considered a best practice?  When should one pattern be used
over the other?

I don't personally like the multi-submit form it's too hard to read when you
only want to view the information (especially when the fields are grouped
into a single column)

Thanks
Scott

Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi All
>

> I'm trying to convert the EditProductStorePaySetup screen to widgets,
> but I'm having trouble trying
>
> to figure out how I can create and edit using the same screen & form
> (the current ftl seems to have
>
> the same problem but I could fix that in the bsh script).
>

> This is what I want to be able to do:
>
>    1. Create new entities by default
>    2. Edit an entity when the edit link is clicked from the table
>

> This is working at the moment but a created entity reloads into the form
> instead of a blank form.
>
> How can I get an entity to load for editing only?
>

> I've attached the patch for what I've done, could someone have a look
> when you get a chance?
>

> Thanks
>
> Scott

Re: Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

Hans Bakker
Hi Scott,

use the same pattern as to add a feature to an example in the 'example'
component....

regards,
Hans

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:57, Scott Gray wrote:

> Ok I watched video no.7 and noted the following...
>
> I can either:
> 1. List entities on one screen and create/edit on another?
> 2. Use one screen but use the multi-submit form to list/edit and use
> another form to create?
>
> I wanted to use one screen but list on one form and create/edit on another.
> Is this not considered a best practice?  When should one pattern be used
> over the other?
>
> I don't personally like the multi-submit form it's too hard to read when
> you only want to view the information (especially when the fields are
> grouped into a single column)
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Dev - Help converting ftl to widgets please

Scott Gray
Thanks Hans

But I don't want to ask this question for every form I create, so when
should I use the other style of form i.e. what is the best practice in this
regard?

Has it to do with any these factors:
1. the number of fields in the entity
2. the number of instances of the entity that may need to be dealt with
3. if the entity is more likely to be edited than merely viewed?
4. should major entities have their own form for editing but not minor
entities?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the way things are done so I can start
helping out a bit more...As I come across things that need tidying up I like
to fix them before moving on to whatever else I was doing.

Thanks
Scott

use the same pattern as to add a feature to an example in the 'example'
component....

regards,
Hans

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:57, Scott Gray wrote:
> Ok I watched video no.7 and noted the following...
>
> I can either:
> 1. List entities on one screen and create/edit on another?
> 2. Use one screen but use the multi-submit form to list/edit and use
> another form to create?
>
> I wanted to use one screen but list on one form and create/edit on
another.

> Is this not considered a best practice?  When should one pattern be used
> over the other?
>
> I don't personally like the multi-submit form it's too hard to read when
> you only want to view the information (especially when the fields are
> grouped into a single column)
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Here's the patch, as per Hans advice

Regards
Scott

use the same pattern as to add a feature to an example in the 'example'
component....

regards,
Hans

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:57, Scott Gray wrote:
> Ok I watched video no.7 and noted the following...
>
> I can either:
> 1. List entities on one screen and create/edit on another?
> 2. Use one screen but use the multi-submit form to list/edit and use
> another form to create?
>
> I wanted to use one screen but list on one form and create/edit on
another.

> Is this not considered a best practice?  When should one pattern be used
> over the other?
>
> I don't personally like the multi-submit form it's too hard to read when
> you only want to view the information (especially when the fields are
> grouped into a single column)
>
> Thanks
> Scott

EditProductStorePaySetup.patch (18K) Download Attachment